The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2022, 07:03 AM

Default Yamaha FG800 wood

I have 2 of these - delightful guitars - one has darker wood on the body, I assume that's Nato and the other is lighter colored and weight and I assume that's Okoume. I find the darker one deeper in tone but I enjoy both of them. So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I have the action set quite low without any buzz - great necks.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:28 PM

As far as I know the only solid wood is the top and plywood for the rest. Nice guitars for the money. Why would you want two of them?
Old 06-24-2022, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

I would have guessed "Nato/Okoume" in the specs meant laminate with Nato outer veneers and Okoume core. Or do they vary the material depending on availability?
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 06-24-2022, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

I thought that Yamaha was using meranti as the core wood for the 800 series laminate. But perhaps they have switched to okoume. Anyway, Yamaha is a very open company. I'm sure that if you asked them then they would tell you what they are using.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:21 AM

Yamaha makes some of the best laminates. But it's still plywood. Do we REALLY hear the difference between one outer veneer and another? I'd suggest that variation in the soundboards, yes even between two identical models, is more perceptible than what veneer is on the back and sides.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Yamaha makes some of the best laminates. But it's still plywood. Do we REALLY hear the difference between one outer veneer and another? I'd suggest that variation in the soundboards, yes even between two identical models, is more perceptible than what veneer is on the back and sides.
That would be my thoughts as well, as long as the plywood is made the same way regardless of wood.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That would be my thoughts as well, as long as the plywood is made the same way regardless of wood.
I have an FSX730C (rosewood faced laminate b & s) and an FSX800 (nato). They sound quite different, with the 730 having more overtones and scooped midrange one would expect with solid rw, and the 800 sounding very much more mahogany…I know they are both laminate, but I definitely hear the differences in them.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 06-24-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I would have guessed "Nato/Okoume" in the specs meant laminate with Nato outer veneers and Okoume core. Or do they vary the material depending on availability?
That could be the case as Nato is a very hard wood while Okoume is a much softer wood so probably would not serve all that well as an exterior wood.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-24-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I think that you would hear the difference. You will get different stiffness of the board (because it is only 3 ply) and the reflective nature of the unfinished veneer lining the sound box would vary..

Ask yourself "why do solid wood types sound different?". And if you can answer that then the same holds true for different wood plys but perhaps to a lesser extent.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
+1 I’d like to think that variation in the top wood matters more than the veneer(s) on a laminated back and sides. My guess is the difference in tone comes primarily from the spruce top on these yamahas.

ASSUMING the soundboard is 100% identical hypothetically speaking, sure there are differences between 2 laminates (different wood, density, stiffness) but can you actually hear them though? Placebo might be the one’s talking.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 06-24-2022, 01:58 PM

I have played the Yamaha FG800 series (Rosewood, Mahogany, Nato) quite extensively because I was looking to buy one and there are definite differences between each type of B&S, even if they were plywood. The rosewood sounded very much like rosewood, with the V shaped eq, and the mahogany sounded quite distinct from the Nato. I actually liked the Nato the most because it seemed like Yamaha voiced the tops w/ Nato B&S in mind.

But yeah, even though I am of the opinion that top wood accounts for 80-90% of the tone the difference in sound was fairly obvious between each B&S wood. It was definitely NOT placebo. It also makes some sense. The plywoods will have different properties (density, stiffness, etc.) because they are made of different woods, even if the core is the same. The differences in properties will influence the sound, similar to the way differences in properties among solid woods will influence the sound.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:36 PM

I have an FG830 that I treat like a red headed stepchild. It sits in a paper thin gig bag in the back of my truck and gets banged around constantly.

It sounds fair. I think a non musician would probably find it a bit plinky, but not terrible. I definitely appreciate it being always available and staying in tune. I play the heck out of it when I have a spare few.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Yes, I think that you would hear the difference. You will get different stiffness of the board (because it is only 3 ply) and the reflective nature of the unfinished veneer lining the sound box would vary..

Ask yourself "why do solid wood types sound different?". And if you can answer that then the same holds true for different wood plys but perhaps to a lesser extent.
Maybe. But we will never know without rigorous blind testing. Until then, sound is in the eye of the beholder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion