The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Certainly some things from the custom shop are prohibitively expensive (Madagascar rosewood, for example).

But I found lots of things to be fairly reasonable. Upgrading my B&S to flamed mahogany cost less than $200 (actual out of pocket cost). Changing the neck profile was less than $100. It was probably a bit more than $300 for the Adi top, which, while not a screaming deal, certainly seems in line with the market (likely more on the low end of the market). Though the wider spacing at the saddle was close to $200, and I'd have probably have opted for the standard spacing if I were to do it again. So I think it depends on what you want. I got the upgrades I wanted in my D-18 and still came in a few hundred less than I would have paid for a new D-18GE.

Figure out the features you want, get a couple of quotes, and see how you feel

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
thanks for the answers so far. must haves is a good idea.

Must haves:
1) 12 fret
2) spruce on rosewood
3) smaller than a dred, but as large as next possible, ergo 000/om
4) quality build: i just tried out a 000-16srgt that was very close to my desired specs except for this. IMHO the quality was substandard for Martin.
5) bone nut
6) ebony fretboard/bridge
7) modified low oval or new PA neck in 1.75 at nut

Preferred:
short scale
slotted headstock

the bit about binding was ignorance. i thought it was less expensive. whatever binding is stock is fine.
Not sure if there is such a thing as a "short scale" 12 fret but I'm sure others would know for sure.

"Next size smaller than a dread" is 0000/M. Not sure if Martin will do a 12 fret 0000 but Froggy Bottom does, its called the F12 but those are double or so what a Martin would run. (though there is a nice one currently for sale in the forum in case your curious... http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=froggy). If you could get Martin to do one I bet it would be legit.

Otherwise you'd be looking at a 12-fret 000/OM. My Favorite Guitars just did a nice one, this is Adirondack over Madagascar but otherwise fits your must haves. I'm sure Jim (or Ted at LA Guitars) could spec a sitka/EIR version out for you.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=306270

Good luck and sorry I didn't realize 12 fret was must have when I originally replied.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
looks like i'm going to have to order a custom, but i've got to keep it a simple as possible to afford it. i just went to Martin's site and worked my way though their build your own guitar section. i have three goals from this guitar:

1) that wonderful Martin sound
2) loudness/projection
3) playability

going with Sitka and IR, no binding. modified low oval neck with 1.75 nut

please help with these choices from the custom shop order form:

A) short or long scale. am i right in thinking 2 & 3 above conflict here and i have to choose. long scale = louder/more projection, short scale = easier playability.
B) bracing: 5/16 vs 1/4, scalloped vs not.
C) slotted vs regular headstock: affect sound? projection?
D) bridge type: affect sound? projection? long saddle bridge vs standard, pyramid vs belly
E) fretboard and bridge material: ebony vs rosewood. affect sound? projection?

thanks very much in advance for your help

You should go to a good shop where they have a lot of guitars to mess with -- some place like Mandolin Bros. or something -- and you can give them the Custom Shop order when you're set. The thing is, they absolutely, positively won't take change orders so you must imperatively decide exactly what you want. If you want my take I would say:

1. long scale is THE sound; i have a short and a long scale Martin and the long is more plunky, sustain-ful, and overall fun
2. on a 000, you could do 1/4" straight and it would sound delish!
3. slotted is sooooo righteous, but it really only goes hand in hand with a 12-fret neck -- a little restrictive. I guess you could get one on a 14-fret neck but I have never seen such an arrangement and I'm not sure that's within the permitted vocabulary.
4. I would just get a belly bridge and be done with it. There's too much risk of the narrow pyramid bridge pulling up. I don't know a soul who can hear a difference.
5. I would get ebony just because it looks cooler. There's really no difference in sound from the fretboard. I guess in a bridge makes a tiny, tiny difference but again the ebony ones just look more elegant.

Lastly, I agree that unbound guitars look way cool. But of course they're more easily nicked along the edges.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=warfrat73;4049928]Certainly some things from the custom shop are prohibitively expensive (Madagascar rosewood, for example).

But I found lots of things to be fairly reasonable.]

I'll have to price again, but I was comparing against the package price, aka pre-fab custom/signature. And the difference for basically the same guitar with a different neck profile was simply shocking. Like 3,000 difference, even with the discount.

I even asked the guys at Elderly to just order a Juber and ask them to change to this neck profile. Not possible.

But that was six years ago, so maybe the prices are more in line with the cost for an equivalent standard model now.

Past Guitars

Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo (Belle méchant Sheryl)
Martin Laurence Juber OMC-18 #3 Sold to a good home and a very lucky person!
Bourgeois OO Redwood Hog Sold to a good home!
Bourgeois DB Signature OM Mad Rose Cutaway Sold to a good home!

Many, many, more.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 PM

i'll get one of the member shops here to help me out. i say i'm going to buy a custom, but if prices are like what you are saying maybe not. i may have to give up on the must have 12 fret and go w/14. i am not wealthy, matter of fact i'm leaning toward foolish even thinking about spending so much on another guitar.

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica
Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:

Must haves:
1) 12 fret
000-28VS
Quote:
2) spruce on rosewood
000-28VS
Quote:
000-28VS
Quote:
4) quality build: i just tried out a 000-16srgt that was very close to my desired specs except for this. IMHO the quality was substandard for Martin.
You are right. The 000-16SRGT is built down to a price rather than up to Martin's flagship standard.
Quote:
5) bone nut
000-28VS
Quote:
The only variation from the standard 000-28VS!

Therefore a custom built guitar based on the 000-28VS but with the PA neck.

Quote:
Preferred:
short scale
The standard 000-28VS has a 25.4" (long scale), but on a custom guitar Martin will do a 24.9" short scale based on the 000-28VS.
They did one for me
The reason that I wanted the short scale was for easier playability, softer feel, easier reach when stretching the fretting hand (for example playing a D chord with an added pinky on the A 5th fret on the top string).

Quote:
slotted headstock
That is standard on a 12 fret bodied guitar. e.g. 000-28VS

The next stage is for you to get a quote (I use Jon Garon at http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com)
An 000-28VS with a short scale and PA neck profile are the only two custom changes needed to obtain your dream guitar with the specifications that you want.

Rod
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Default you nailed it

let's see what happens.

r

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica
Old 07-23-2014, 04:47 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:

Must haves:
1) 12 fret
2) spruce on rosewood
5) bone nut

Preferred:
short scale
slotted headstock

the bit about binding was ignorance. i thought it was less expensive. whatever binding is stock is fine.
What you're describing is the 000-28VS with a different neck shape and nut. Get a quote from Maury or Jon Garon.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
...an OM-21 might be a great fit for you.
Yes, this +1. Sitka/EIR, 1/4" scalloped bracing, 1-3/4" neck, modified low oval profile neck w/performing artist taper, bone nut & saddle, tortoise binding, aging toner on top, and otherwise simple appointments. New street price on this should be somewhere in the $2K range...which is certainly cheaper than you could build your own. If you can find a nice used one, even better. Good luck in your search!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion