The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I think you're partially correct, and not sure what you mean exactly by "cupping", but I've got a '72 D35, and while it got a reset 3 years ago (was a borderline call) with a refret, that square tube keeps the relief extremely stable- surprisingly so. As for the incorrect bridge placement, yeah, it was a problem for many of those guitars. The saddle slot in my D35 was filled and the slot was re-cut for a "split saddle" to improve the intonation. If the OP's guitar is pre-'70 then it could have any number of issues. It seems like (sadly) that one wasn't cared for very well. I've been a couple in pretty good shape and they sell for upwards of $5000.
By cupping I mean bowing. In general I feel the old solid T bar truss rod did a better job at compressing the neck than the steel tube which is why repair guys will insert a carbon fiber rod into the tube.

Another thing I would consider changing would be to replace the oversized rosewood bridge plate with a traditional size maple plate. This was definitely one of those what was martin thinking things.

I have actually never seen an early 1970s Martin D-35 go for $5K. I still run into them in really nice condition selling for less than 1/2 that.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
... I've got a '72 D35, and while it got a reset 3 years ago (was a borderline call)...
I am curious about who you found to do the neck reset.

My bought-new 1969 D-35 is in excellent condition, but I had set ups done in 1999 and 2019 that lowered the bridge and saddle, which has put the strings close to the top.

The action is perfect, 2mm for low E at the 12th fret. And the sound is nice as always. But the low saddle has killed the boom and turned it into a 000. And when I cross pick, the pick is now pecking on the top down in between the strings.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I am curious about who you found to do the neck reset.

My bought-new 1969 D-35 is in excellent condition, but I had set ups done in 1999 and 2019 that lowered the bridge and saddle, which has put the strings close to the top.

The action is perfect, 2mm for low E at the 12th fret. And the sound is nice as always. But the low saddle has killed the boom and turned it into a 000. And when I cross pick, the pick is now pecking on the top down in between the strings.
OMGoodness, say it 'ain't so!

Before you're rightly prosecuted for crimes against a great guitar, get that instrument to someone like John Levan (Nashville) or some other highly qualified luthier.

I'll keep quiet for now, but I'll be watching this thread.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-21-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the input. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Our next rehearsal is Jan 2nd and Earl's bringing the D-35 then.

He says he wants to sell it rather than repair. Every once in awhile for a fleeting second i think about taking on the project but I remind myself I'm busy w/ my own stuff.

I'll post pics in this thread when the D-35 lands.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
OMGoodness, say it 'ain't so! Before you're rightly prosecuted for crimes against a great guitar...
The two set ups to the bridge and saddle were done by Martin authorized luthiers in the guitar's 30th and 50th years, and were necessary to restore the action which was getting uncomfortably high.

I bought the D-35 new and have cared for it all these years to maintain it's playability. In addition to the set ups, it was re-fretted and loose braces were repaired. It plays and sounds great once again, with the same ease of action as my new Eastman E20-OM, but with only about the same volume as the smaller guitar.

What would you have done about the action as it grew higher over the decades? Is there anything criminal about resetting the neck of an old guitar when the bridge and saddle have run out of height to reduce?

Last edited by vintage40s; 12-21-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
... I have actually never seen an early 1970s Martin D-35 go for $5K. I still run into them in really nice condition selling for less than 1/2 that.
This is my experience, too. Only the 1965-68 Martin D-35 models in good condition and built from Brazilian rosewood go for prices in the $5K area. Some 1969 D-35 models were also built from BRW if I am remembering correctly.

- Glenn
Old 12-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Did his parents buy it for him new? That’s what the first post seems to say. Some of the work would fall under warranty. Neck resets, for example.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-22-2019, 07:35 AM

I recall reading something written by Eric Schoenberg who said Martin made three prototypes of the D35 with variations of top and back 00/000 bracing finally going with the 00 top bracing and 000 back bracing. A few years back I tried to talk my wife into buying a late-1960s 12 string version. She did not, however, like the slot head. She ended up with a new Martin D12-28 but I sill think she made a mistake by passing on the D12-35.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
The two set ups to the bridge and saddle were done by Martin authorized luthiers in the guitar's 30th and 50th years, and were necessary to restore the action which was getting uncomfortably high.

I bought the D-35 new and have cared for it all these years to maintain it's playability. In addition to the set ups, it was re-fretted and loose braces were repaired. It plays and sounds great once again, with the same ease of action as my new Eastman E20-OM, but with only about the same volume as the smaller guitar.

What would you have done about the action as it grew higher over the decades? Is there anything criminal about resetting the neck of an old guitar when the bridge and saddle have run out of height to reduce?
My post was very tongue-in-cheek and was meant only as encouragement for you to get the neck reset.

Personally two of the best sounding Martins I've ever heard were just a couple of years older than yours, and had been through neck resets and the re-gluing of a few braces.

We're I wanting a Martin, I'd much rather have a mid 60's D-28 in need of a neck reset, at a discount, allowing for the cost of the reset than any brand new one I've ever played.

My poor joke was that the crime is not rushing out to get the neck reset. John Levan would be a great choice to do the job, BTW.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
... Only the 1965-68 Martin D-35 models in good condition and built from Brazilian rosewood go for prices in the $5K area. Some 1969 D-35 models were also built from BRW if I am remembering correctly...
I expect the 3 little pieces on the back allowed the D-35s to be the last to be able to use BRW:
"The Martin 1969 D-35 was one of the last Martin's to use Brazilian Rosewood."
https://artisanguitars.com/1969-mart...sewood-id-5830

As opposed to models with 2 large pieces that needed to change to EIR sooner:
"By late 1969, the change to Indian rosewood was complete, with D–21 #254498 having the distinction of being the first official Indian rosewood guitar."
https://www.martinguitar.com/about/m...dnought-story/

My D-35 is #246519, sold to me by a store on Sept. 4, 1969.

Last edited by vintage40s; 12-22-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
My post was very tongue-in-cheek and was meant only as encouragement for you to get the neck reset... My poor joke was that the crime is not rushing out to get the neck reset. John Levan would be a great choice to do the job, BTW.
OK, I see it now, sorry. Glad to hear about that luthier. John LeVan, now in Thompson's Station, TN, just south of Nashville.

Later -- after studying http://www.guitarservices.com/ -- it looks like he does not do work himself. Looks like my guitar would be done in one of his training workshops, at least under his supervision. Maybe it makes no difference.

Last edited by vintage40s; 12-22-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Did his parents buy it for him new? That’s what the first post seems to say. Some of the work would fall under warranty. Neck resets, for example.
If his parents bought it for him, any warranty might be to the buyer, and they might need to present the claim with proof of purchase. The warranty is not lifetime anymore, but only for defects. But Martin does seems to be interested in helping very old guitars.

I asked Martin for a reset on my 1969 D-35 and sent detailed photos with receipts of the old work by authorized luthiers. Martin responded:

"Our records indicate Serial Number 246519 is not registered for the Limited Lifetime Warranty. Our Warranty Committee would request a copy of your original purchaser’s receipt, any repair records, a copy of your driver’s license and/or any photos of you playing your guitar “Back in the Day.” A brief letter describing when and where your Martin was purchased would be beneficial. I will present all the information that you provide to our Warranty Committee for evaluation."

Back in the day I was young and living on a ship for three years. All I have now is my Navy diary entry giving the date and the store where I bought it, and the neck card with price. No receipt, no warranty registration and no old photos.

If I pursue this and am lucky, Martin might pay for an authorized luthier to do the reset.

Last edited by vintage40s; 12-22-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
If his parents bought it for him, any warranty might be to the buyer, and they might need to present the claim with proof of purchase. The warranty is not lifetime anymore, but only for defects. But Martin does seems to be interested in helping very old guitars.

I asked Martin for a reset on my 1969 D-35 and sent detailed photos with receipts of the old work by authorized luthiers. Martin responded:

"Our records indicate Serial Number 246519 is not registered for the Limited Lifetime Warranty. Our Warranty Committee would request a copy of your original purchaser’s receipt, any repair records, a copy of your driver’s license and/or any photos of you playing your guitar “Back in the Day.” A brief letter describing when and where your Martin was purchased would be beneficial. I will present all the information that you provide to our Warranty Committee for evaluation."

Back in the day I was young and living on a ship for three years. All I have now is my Navy diary entry giving the date and the store where I bought it, and the neck card with price. No receipt, no warranty registration and no old photos.

If I pursue this and am lucky, Martin might pay for an authorized luthier to do the reset.
It is my understanding that Martin now does not necessarily automatically consider the need for a neck reset as result of a factory defect in materials work workmanship but rather an issue related to normal wear and tear. But it is their assessment to make. Also as far as I know the only Martin to have a transferrable warranty was the limited edition Bicentennial D-76 model.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
It is my understanding that Martin now does not necessarily automatically consider the need for a neck reset as... an issue related to normal wear and tear. But it is their assessment to make...
Yes, based on my correspondence and various forum posts, Martin will no longer do or pay for automatic free neck resets on their thousands of old guitars. Because most all old guitars will need it, as decades of tension of the strings depresses the joint between the neck and body and raises the action.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

a year+ old thread regarding a 1970 000-28 with a very pretty set of braz, that snuck thru the 1969 cutoff.

there's a lot more input on this 1970 000-28 over at the UMGF with some info that offers up a small group of guitars that made it thru after the 1969 cutoff of braz. Most of this group are known by Martins historian/archivist, this 000-28 was not known until the day it landed in my lap. Steven Kovacik, ended up with the 000-28 after the owner decided to sell it. I arranged/completed the deal for the owner. I need to contact Steve and get an update on what all he did and how it turned out.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=515123

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion