The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Help with UNINSTALLING end pin jack on Taylor and Martin...

Hi Guys,

For years I've used Sunrise soundhole pickups in my two favorite guitars: my Taylor 814 and my Martin 000-28HD. Installed one of those big brass end pins that you can plug a 1/4" phone plug into in each one.

Recently I switched to Takamines for onstage work and I removed the Sunrise pickups from my Taylor and Martin...but I still have the oversize end pin installed and I want to remove them and restore both guitars to thier original non-electric
condition and look.

So what do I do? Has anyone devised an attractive way of filling the oversize end pin hole and then installing the original end pins?

I was thinking I could plug them with a rosewood or ebony dowel (if I could find one!) and then redrill the hole in that. Some of the dowel would show...so it'd need to look nice.

Any ideas?

Thanks! Lew

Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-06-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Taylor (and I believe Larrivee) had end jack plugs that restored them to just being a strap pin. Try calling T's customer service. Might also check with Bob Colosi - he sells a lot of end pins.

I have also heard of people having the hole filled with matching wood (the endblock inside is probably mahogany) and drilling and reaming a 5 degree pin hole in it. Depending on what your end graft is made out of that may or may not work, your 000 is probably white plastic.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Taylor (and I believe Larrivee) had end jack plugs that restored them to just being a strap pin. Try calling T's customer service. Might also check with Bob Colosi - he sells a lot of end pins.

I have also heard of people having the hole filled with matching wood (the endblock inside is probably mahogany) and drilling and reaming a 5 degree pin hole in it. Depending on what your end graft is made out of that may or may not work, your 000 is probably white plastic.
Yep...white plastic that looks a bit like ivory on the Martin. I'll call Taylor and find out about this. Thanks! Lew
Old 04-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
Yep...white plastic that looks a bit like ivory on the Martin. I'll call Taylor and find out about this. Thanks! Lew
Lew,

If you don't mind a metal endpin on it, I've probably got an extra from when I installed a jack in my guitar. The endpin is a screw-in thing that's made for endpin holes with the bigger bore.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Lew,

If you don't mind a metal endpin on it, I've probably got an extra from when I installed a jack in my guitar. The endpin is a screw-in thing that's made for endpin holes with the bigger bore.
Thanks so much! I'm calling Taylor right now and on hold...

Lew
Old 04-06-2007, 02:26 PM

Well, if you want my old one, just shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to send it out

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
. . . I was thinking I could plug them with a rosewood or ebony dowel (if I could find one!) and then redrill the hole in that. Some of the dowel would show...so it'd need to look nice. . .

A dowel would leave end grain exposed. It wouldn't look good nor would it hold the screw well. You need a plug cut from a plug cutter on a drill press so the grain is correct. If you line up the grain and they are fairly closely matched, you will be able to make it look pretty nice.

As for the Martin, I would think Stewart McDonald or the like would be able to sell you something that matches pretty well. Just fill the hole with wood and shape cover of that material.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion