The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Bone bridge pins?

Our 1952 0-18 still has the (original, I assume) black plastic bridge pins. Yesterday while changing the strings (one at a time) I started reading about natural pin materials. Bone seems to glide to the top of most lists.

Should I spring for a set?

Next question: buy pre-slotted or have a luthier fit unslotted pins to each string?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 03-02-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Results vary from guitar to guitar. Some people have noted that they actually like the sound of plastic over bone. And others like the Bone sound.
Personally I like Bone. And with a large abalone inlay adds a nice aesthetic touch.
If it is currently taking slotted pins I would stay with that. Modifying a classic like that could alter its value.
A great source for Custom Bridge pins is Custom Inlay. You can choose the exact size of the bridge pin..and the inlay that you want. I recommend Unbleached bone.

https://custominlay.com/shop/ols/pro...ith-dot-inlays
Old 03-02-2022, 01:56 PM

I've put TUSQ pins on mine and I think they have improved the tone of my guitar. Significantly? No, but noticeably. The TUSQ bridge did more, and for open chords, the TUSQ nut also added improvements. For barre chords though, the bridge does nothing. That said, I am not sure how it impacts the ?touch harmonics? that you can play as I didn't know you could do that until after I changed out.

Consider adding Bone or TUSQ, but if you have a plastic bridge, I would get that done first...but if you are changing things out anyway, might as well add new pins too as it should not add much more to the cost.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 03-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

The great thing about bone pins is how well they wear. They don’t get torn up like many other pins. I don’t know that they offer any sonic advantage. They also look nice if you want lighter color pins.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Our 1952 0-18 still has the (original, I assume) black plastic bridge pins. Yesterday while changing the strings (one at a time) I started reading about natural pin materials. Bone seems to glide to the top of most lists.

Next question: buy pre-slotted or have a luthier fit unslotted pins to each string?
I could be wrong here, I’m not an expert on vintage guitars, but didn’t CFM guitars of that period have ‘shared’ slots - a shallow slot in the pin, matched by another shallow slot in the pin-hole?

If that’s the case, I suspect that you don’t want fully-slotted pins, the slots will be too deep and may permit the ball-ends to ‘creep’ into the pin-holes. I think you’d be better getting unslotted pins and either making shallow slots in them yourself, or have a luthier do the job.

But as I said, I could be wrong about that - apologies for muddying the waters if I am!

And personally, I wouldn’t use bone pins in a guitar with mahogany B&S, I would shoot for ebony which will warm-up the already-‘bright’ mahogany sound. Those are what I used to replace the plastic pins in my D-18.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-02-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Results vary from guitar to guitar. Some people have noted that they actually like the sound of plastic over bone. And others like the Bone sound.
Personally I like Bone. And with a large abalone inlay adds a nice aesthetic touch.
If it is currently taking slotted pins I would stay with that. Modifying a classic like that could alter its value.
A great source for Custom Bridge pins is Custom Inlay. You can choose the exact size of the bridge pin..and the inlay that you want. I recommend Unbleached bone.

https://custominlay.com/shop/ols/pro...ith-dot-inlays

Thanks, but oh my. You have to know what size you need? I’m disqualified.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-02-2022, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, but oh my. You have to know what size you need? I’m disqualified.

measure their tapers with a caliper. Don't have a caliper? BONUS! A reason
to buy a caliper ...

-Mike
Old 03-02-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Bone pins are not that expensive. Try them out and see if you like it. Typically adding weight to the bridge will change the tone. Its all about what you like. Have fun with it.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:21 PM

Go for it. Custom inlay is great. I like Bob Colosi a lot (Custom Guitar Saddles). He will answer any question you have. Great guy. Picks up the phone when called if his hands are free. You can find your size using one of his charts as long as you now what guitar you have and the year made. No sweat.

As for tone there are a few threads here on the forum about it. Some folks see a difference and others don’t. I replaced ivoroid pins with bone and honestly can’t say if the difference was due to pins or the new strings. They look great BTW. Give Bob a call if you have questions.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
The great thing about bone pins is how well they wear. They don’t get torn up like many other pins. I don’t know that they offer any sonic advantages….
Kevin Kopp uses bone bridge pins in his guitars because of their durability. He doesn’t offer any opinion on whether they change the tone, but the sense I got from him is that the tonal change is minimal, if it’s even present at all.

whm
Old 03-02-2022, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
I've put TUSQ pins on mine and I think they have improved the tone of my guitar. Significantly? No, but noticeably. The TUSQ bridge did more, and for open chords, the TUSQ nut also added improvements.
That has been my experience too, I put a bone saddle in a J45 and didn't like the change at all, the Tusq was better. I have Tusq bridge pins in all my guitars.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I use unslotted on a bone-compensated-saddle at my luthier's suggestion.

My answer for bridge pins is Anything-BUT-Plastic.

Two of mine have bone one has Buffalo Horn (sometimes called Amber).

You can turn any slotted pin into an unslotted pin by rotating it so the slot faces somewhere else (preferably the tail of the guitar). The slots in the bridge still need to be added for the strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-03-2022, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Our 1952 0-18 still has the (original, I assume) black plastic bridge pins. Next question: buy pre-slotted or have a luthier fit unslotted pins to each string?
Before assuming you need slotted pins, I'd make sure your bridge is not slotted. Not sure if Martin slotted bridges in '52 but after 70 years it's possible it was done afterwards (some players do that). If bridge is slotted the pins don't need to be. You can still use slotted pins in a slotted bridge by turning them around so the solid side faces the saddle; but if you don't need slotted pins might as well buy solid ones while you're changing them. Sorry, not trying to confuse, just trying to help. (BTW: The presence of slotted pins on your guitar doesn't guarantee the bridge isn't slotted. I'd examine it to know. Sounds like a cool guitar, enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion