The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Default How many of you actually truly believe you have a "for life" guitar? Not possible?

A guitar that you truly believe you will never ever get rid of.

I recall seeing grown men cry during this song that was about saying good bye to a guitar that the person loved.

I'm not sentimental or anything but recently bought a guitar that absolutely sings. I've never heard such a high caliber sounding guitar before, in any store or professional recording studio and I can't Believe I actually own it. I don't think this guitar will ever get sold.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:05 PM

I have two…a 2000ish Martin HD28vs that was a gift from my wife and a 1978 Gurian JR that I sold and was lucky enough to get back.

They ain’t going nowhere.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I have two…a 2000ish Martin HD28vs that was a gift from my wife and a 1978 Gurian JR that I sold and was lucky enough to get back.

They ain’t going nowhere.
Keeper because it's a exceptional guitar or because it was a gift from your wife?
Old 03-12-2024, 11:17 PM

How many of you actually truly believe you have a "for life" guitar? Not possible?

It's a bit easier to imagine if most of your life is behind you. As a practicing septuagenarian, as long as I can play, I will always have some guitars around.

My top tier are all spruce over rosewood, unless noted otherwise.

My bought-new in 1985 Gibson J-200 Jumbo with the fancy inlaid headstock done only for that year.
- Not only is it a great guitar, but also has a sentimental tie.
My bought-new 2014 Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra.
My bought used 2016 Taylor 458e-R Grand Orchestra 12 string.
My bought used 2016 Taylor 412e-R short-scale Grand Concert.
And,
My bought-new in 1999 Taylor 355 spruce over sapele Jumbo 12 string, which I usually have in DADGAD tuning, is one I would certainly miss.

I also kept one electric, a cherry sunburst Les Paul standard, with a great flamed maple top and an incredible sound.

So that would be six.

Be well and play well.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-12-2024 at 11:24 PM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 03-12-2024, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
How many of you actually truly believe you have a "for life" guitar? Not possible?

It's a bit easier to imagine if most of your life is behind you. As a practicing septuagenarian, as long as I can play, I will always have some guitars around.

My top tier are all spruce over rosewood, unless noted otherwise.

My bought-new in 1985 Gibson J-200 Jumbo with the fancy inlaid headstock done only for that year.
- Not only is it a great guitar, but also has a sentimental tie.
My bought-new 2014 Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra.
My bought used 2016 Taylor 458e-R Grand Orchestra 12 string.
My bought used 2016 Taylor 412e-R short-scale Grand Concert.
And,
My bought-new in 1999 Taylor 355 spruce over sapele Jumbo 12 string, which I usually have in DADGAD tuning, is one I would certainly miss.

I also kept one electric, a cherry sunburst Les Paul standard, with a great flamed maple top and an incredible sound.

So that would be six.

Be well and play well.

Don
Why did you switch to Taylor between 1985 and 2014?
Old 03-12-2024, 11:30 PM

Possibly, maybe, likely - but not certainly. Too many things change and I'm not tied to any guitar enough to say that, without a doubt, any single guitar is locked for life. There are a few I can't imaging any reason that could cause me to sell them. But, one never knows.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have 4 guitars that aren’t going anywhere - one that I have had for over 20 years, one 19 years, one 6 years, and one nearly 5 years.
I have never looked to one guitar to do it all but I have gone through long periods of time where I have had only one guitar. This was mostly due to finances. In my fifties, with more disposable income, I began taking lessons, doing some songwriting and meeting guitar makers which expanded my understanding of what the tonal possibilities can be with the acoustic guitar.
Now, in my seventies, I’m pretty satisfied with the variety offered from my small collection. If I had to narrow it down to one, I guess that I’d let my aging ears and hands make the final decision. :-)
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-12-2024, 11:56 PM

I've have absolutely no interest in selling or buying any acoustic guitars. I have what I love and I love what I have.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

I’ve got one. My Martin 000-18 Norman Blake Signature. Playing it, the specs, the sound of it and it compliments my voice. Once had a talented singer songwriter I know tell me after I played one of my songs that I was lucky because I found my lifetime guitar.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 03-13-2024, 12:20 AM

I have 25 stringed instruments all told - 5 fiddles, a tenor ukulele, 9 mandolin family instruments, one banjo, one double bass and 8 guitars.

Just talking about the guitars:

1. Applause 6 string. First guitar I ever bought back in '78 or'79, for all of $80. Travelled halfway 'round the world with it (underwater). Still plays in tune, still fun. Still maybe worth $80. No reason to sell it. Sentimental.

2. Early 80's Ovation 12 fret slothead 12 string, deep bowl. Bought at a pawn shop for $200 in '82. I still like it. Had it a long time. Also sentimental.

3. Eastman MDC805 mandocello currently strung as an AR805. Great tone, unique, sounds like nothing else I have. Paid $1400 for it 14 years ago - it would cost closer to $2500 now. Not selling. Probably a lifer.

4. Altamira M20D grande bouche Sel-Mac copy. Bought about 13 years ago. Still haven't got as much into jazz manouche as I thought I would. Not ready to call it a lifer yet, but also not looking to sell.

5. 2017 Martin HD-28 bought used in 2020 for $ 1850. I love this guitar. It is a lifer.

6. 2020 Gold Tone Paul Beard Mastertone round neck resonator. I always wanted one. Love the sound and playability. No plans to sell. Like nothing else I have. A new one costs $450 more than what I paid. Maybe not a lifer, but why sell it?

7. Eastman E2OM-CD. Bought used in 2020 or '21. Just a great sounding, great playing, great quality guitar. So happy with it, especially considering the low price. Very likely a lifer.

8. 2022 Martin 000-15SM. Bought used about a year ago at a substantial savings over new due to honest play wear. I really love this guitar. It's my favorite most days. Love the tone, the light weight, 000 size, responsiveness, even the mahogany smell. Definitely a lifer/keeper.

I'm blessed to be able to afford what I want, to not be bound by real budgetary or space constraints or imaginary arbitrary constraints (like one-in-one-out, Goldilocks specific dimensional, tonewoodor other specs or similar rigid rules). I love the variety of sounds I get with my current guitars. I tend to like/love what I have vs continually churning through guitars in the standard AGF mode in a search for something "better."

My guitars all have pickups I installed though I rarely plug in anymore. I play them all at home and at jams.

I see myself getting an electric at some point. Who knows when? I just retired so not jumping into anything just yet.

Last edited by Mandobart; 03-13-2024 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:27 AM

I have a bunch of "for life" guitars. Things that are irreplaceable, that are top of the heap for tone, that are sentimental or are personal "grail" guitars.

But, circumstances change. Health, finances, living arrangements, etc. I could pare it down but the question is why am I doing that?

Selling for money? Then I keep the cheap ones.
Selling for ergonomics? Then I keep the small ones.
Selling for downsizing/old age? Then I keep a couple and pass on the rest to the kids.

Eventually I will have to let them go. But possessions are fleeting; they're not really important on the grand scheme of things. We're all dust in the wind...
Old 03-13-2024, 12:31 AM

I bought my F-50R in 1991 from a guy who had a booth in Chataqua park, Boulder, CO with the money I earned from my summer jobs teaching improv and lifeguarding in Alaska(which is about as much fun as a college kid can have). I have played it all my life and it has been a great musical companion. I’ll echo sentiments above and say when you have one great guitar, the desire for others is much less. I love my parlor because it travels well and sounds great, and my om because it was cheap enough that I can leave it at work without worry, but the jumbo is a lifelong companion.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 03-13-2024, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

I got back into guitar about 25 years ago and it’s been a journey since then, discovering the diversity of builders and the sounds and tones they achieve. Some guitars that knocked my socks off 20 years ago have been moved on, while other guitars I bought 16 -18 years ago are still being enjoyed on a regular basis (thank you, Mike Baranik). And a guitar I received just last year from a maker I had never considered is blowing me away. I hope that in the years I have left I continue to enjoy the guitars I have now, but also be amazed by makers I have not yet experienced.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:05 AM

I have three "lifers" and have no problem thinking I will never sell them.

One electric (Fender Telecaster AV52) and two acoustics (Gibson J-45 Original 50s and Adamas 1687-8 GT)).
Old 03-13-2024, 01:08 AM

Everything changes with time, skills, sound, yourself and your hearing, your surroundings and your preferences, etc., therefore it is also natural to find guitars that fit your current needs. I've had quite a few guitars I was excited about at first, but ended up sitting unused. I don't have a single guitar from when I started playing, for me it's a journey that probably never ends and I'm enjoying it..Having said that, I have at least one guitar I'll probably keep :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion