The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Default Two Killer Deal Reviews

Every so often I come upon a killer deal. Several which I bought at Guitar Center were a Martin 000MMV for which I paid $1200 at a Black Friday sale and a Breedlove Oregon Concert for which I paid $1000 but which also included a $200 gift card, making it effectively $800.

The Martin is a rosewood 000 with features placing it between an affordable series Martin and the standard series. Mine has a dark rosewood back and sides with straight grain, an above average Sitka top, and an almost perfect mahogany neck with perfectly straight grain, much better than I my 000 28vs I owned at the same
time. The hang tag said ebony board and bridge, but I'm sure they are Richlite. I'd prefer ebony, but the Richlite certainly does the job. The guitar features A frame X bracing and a simple dovetail neck joint. The guitar's simply bound and finished in gloss nitro. The supplied case was a flat lid 300 series which I quickly dumped and replaced with a Guardian travel lite case which is more useful and offers adequate protection.

The Breedlove is concert sized (similar to 000 but deeper with a rounder shape). It's build is a little more deluxe than the Martin in most respects. Back and sides are myrtle with a tastefully attractive figure. The top is a very nice sample of Sitka. Binding is black with herringbone around the top and soundhole. The top is gloss and sides and back satin, which looks very classy to me. The neck is satin finished rock maple of a single piece. Board and bridge are ebony. Modernistic touches include the pointy headstock and offset fretboard microdots. Internally the guitar features scalloped braces (no bridge doctor) and a bolt on neck. Case is a very deluxe premium hardshell. I also appreciate the 1.75" neck, which is my personal minimum.

I feel both guitars were excellent values in new guitars. I have had the Martin for three years now and the Breedlove for one.

The Martin is a great guitar for the money. While not quite equal to it's standard series brethren in sound or features, it is close. Build quality is certainly Martin. It's tone was so close to my 00028vs that it was hard to tell the difference. Tone could be described as lush and thick, with clear highs. Very definitely Martin. I find the guitar more useful for rhythm chores than solo performing. It's thick, complex tones provide fullness for backup chores. But it seems to lack projection in the highs and I find myself overplaying the guitar to get the high notes to sing. I also prefer a wider neck and fretboard.

The Breedlove is at the head of class in all respects. Materials and workmanship are well nigh perfect. I have not found a flaw anywhere. The tone of this myrtle guitar is distinctive. It is clear like maple, but not brash. Treble is bright like mahogany, but not airy. Bass is toward rosewood but lighter and less complex. I find this guitar is perfect for solo fingerpicking and flatpicking. Notes are articulate and I can make the leads sing. Not as good for backup chores, where the separation in chord tones can lead to thinness.

I think both guitars are keepers. Maybe not stupid good deals, but close, especially the Breedlove.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM

I've played a few 000mmvs. I think they are really good for the money even at asking price. They are one of a handful of places that I think offer real value for the dollar.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-23-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
Every so often I come upon a killer deal. Several which I bought at Guitar Center were a Martin 000MMV for which I paid $1200 at a Black Friday sale and a Breedlove Oregon Concert for which I paid $1000 but which also included a $200 gift card, making it effectively $800.

The Martin is a rosewood 000 with features placing it between an affordable series Martin and the standard series. Mine has a dark rosewood back and sides with straight grain, an above average Sitka top, and an almost perfect mahogany neck with perfectly straight grain, much better than I my 000 28vs I owned at the same
time. The hang tag said ebony board and bridge, but I'm sure they are Richlite. I'd prefer ebony, but the Richlite certainly does the job. The guitar features A frame X bracing and a simple dovetail neck joint. The guitar's simply bound and finished in gloss nitro. The supplied case was a flat lid 300 series which I quickly dumped and replaced with a Guardian travel lite case which is more useful and offers adequate protection.

The Breedlove is concert sized (similar to 000 but deeper with a rounder shape). It's build is a little more deluxe than the Martin in most respects. Back and sides are myrtle with a tastefully attractive figure. The top is a very nice sample of Sitka. Binding is black with herringbone around the top and soundhole. The top is gloss and sides and back satin, which looks very classy to me. The neck is satin finished rock maple of a single piece. Board and bridge are ebony. Modernistic touches include the pointy headstock and offset fretboard microdots. Internally the guitar features scalloped braces (no bridge doctor) and a bolt on neck. Case is a very deluxe premium hardshell. I also appreciate the 1.75" neck, which is my personal minimum.

I feel both guitars were excellent values in new guitars. I have had the Martin for three years now and the Breedlove for one.

The Martin is a great guitar for the money. While not quite equal to it's standard series brethren in sound or features, it is close. Build quality is certainly Martin. It's tone was so close to my 00028vs that it was hard to tell the difference. Tone could be described as lush and thick, with clear highs. Very definitely Martin. I find the guitar more useful for rhythm chores than solo performing. It's thick, complex tones provide fullness for backup chores. But it seems to lack projection in the highs and I find myself overplaying the guitar to get the high notes to sing. I also prefer a wider neck and fretboard.

The Breedlove is at the head of class in all respects. Materials and workmanship are well nigh perfect. I have not found a flaw anywhere. The tone of this myrtle guitar is distinctive. It is clear like maple, but not brash. Treble is bright like mahogany, but not airy. Bass is toward rosewood but lighter and less complex. I find this guitar is perfect for solo fingerpicking and flatpicking. Notes are articulate and I can make the leads sing. Not as good for backup chores, where the separation in chord tones can lead to thinness.

I think both guitars are keepers. Maybe not stupid good deals, but close, especially the Breedlove.
Would live to see pics.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:41 AM

GC does have some great deals on clearance guitars. I got a decent deal from them on a new Taylor 324 and I'd love to stumble across a brand new all myrtle breedlove for $800.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion