The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-24-2021, 09:04 AM

Default Strap security (without strap locks)

A non-exciting question. Not sure I want to add strap locks to problem solve the pesky backside button on the vintage original Guild S-100 I recently acquired. What are some solutions for preventing a strap slippage issue? Is there something folks put between the strap end and the wide part of the button?

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 05-24-2021, 09:14 AM

In the past I have used one of those plastic bread closure tags with mixed results.
Cheap to try.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Before strap locks (yes, I’m that old) I used to put rubber bands around the buttons, over the strap. Worked.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:16 AM

What about something like this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ock-strap-lock

I use D'Addario CinchFit on one of my acoustics and like it. Looks like the dual-lock strap would fit the bill for the electric without any mods to the guitar.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 05-24-2021, 10:02 AM

Lots of stuff. Someone's already mentioned strap lock straps that have their own fixture and the plastic bread bag closure tabs. Rubber washers work too (Fender sells a branded version of that idea).

Sometime back bought a couple of sets of replacement strap buttons that are a elongated, kind of American football shaped. They work fairly well if align the long part of the button with the non-sliced part of the strap's button hole.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-24-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGAS79 View Post
A non-exciting question. Not sure I want to add strap locks to problem solve the pesky backside button on the vintage original Guild S-100 I recently acquired. What are some solutions for preventing a strap slippage issue? Is there something folks put between the strap end and the wide part of the button?
I've heard people swear by the Grolsh Beer solution. I have regular Schaller locks on all my guitars, but honestly if I had it to do over I'd probably just (1) leave the strap on all the time, and (2) pay attention to what I'm doing.

https://bolesblogs.com/2010/07/13/th...ar-strap-lock/
Old 05-24-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I've heard people swear by the Grolsh Beer solution. I have regular Schaller locks on all my guitars, but honestly if I had it to do over I'd probably just (1) leave the strap on all the time, and (2) pay attention to what I'm doing.

https://bolesblogs.com/2010/07/13/th...ar-strap-lock/
I have the Grolsh Beer washers on a few guitars. I also have Schaller and one guitar with Dunlop straplocks. Schaller strap locks are my favorite but the Grolsh washers work fine and they're inexpensive.

I also have four of the Fender washers as well.

Grolsh:

Fender:
Old 05-25-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post

I use D'Addario CinchFit on one of my acoustics and like it. Looks like the dual-lock strap would fit the bill for the electric without any mods to the guitar.
The locks referenced in this link have worked great for me.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 05-25-2021, 08:04 AM

Thanks all! Any time I searched the locks that came up were always the type I was trying to avoid. Ordered some shown in the link. They should be perfect.

I do love the Schaller ones on my other guitars, just wanted to leave the ‘73 unmolested.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 05-25-2021, 12:05 PM

I put these on all my guitars and I can sling the guitar around my back no problem.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...-set-of-2.html
Old 05-25-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post

Interesting, I've never seen that before. I'll have to do some research on those and buy them to test them out.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGAS79 View Post
Not sure what "strap end and the wide part of the button" actually means
But if you can leave the strap on permanently (will still fit in hard case) another vote for the simple rubber washers solution, which is what I use .
like these or similar
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...set-of-4-black

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-26-2021, 01:24 PM

Hey Kev, I have four of those Fenders as well, 2 black, 2 red. Works the same as the Grolsh washers and they look nicer too but more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not sure what "strap end and the wide part of the button" actually means
But if you can leave the strap on permanently (will still fit in hard case) another vote for the simple rubber washers solution, which is what I use .
like these or similar
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...set-of-4-black
Old 02-09-2024, 03:36 PM

LR Baggs pickups in four acoustics (1974 Gurian Jumbo Rosewood, 2003 Taylor 355 12-string, 2015 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany, 2023 Breedlove Oregon 12-string). Reading up on the Acoustic Strap Secure and having a ridiculously hard time trying to order from Chicago Music Exchange website, I realized there's a super-simple solution: remove the cosmetic trim strap button, with its too-narrow groove and inadequate flange, and screw it back on upside-down. The much wider base that's designed to conceal the hardware nut securing the tailpiece preamp makes a vastly more secure flange, and you can't see the plain nut anyway with the strap attached. Over and out!
Old 02-09-2024, 05:20 PM

Interestingly enough, I never had a problem with standard strap buttons over 60+ years of playing - go figure...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars