The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-02-2024, 05:45 PM

Default working around bad fingernails

I have bad nails. I am unable to use nails when playing.
There's no need to consider/discuss this further.

And I understand the basic debate between nails and fingertips.
I also don't want to rehash that.

I have tried both traditional fingerpicks and those butterfly fingerpicks.
https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Fin...dp/B0CRJX989F/

So far, I just can't get used to them. I don't like not being able to feel the string. And on the upstroke/return stroke, it bumps against the string too often.

Is this something I will eventually get used to? Should I persevere?

I really just want to give up and accept that I can't use them, but if there's anyone who hated them and got to like them, please speak up now...
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 05-02-2024, 06:50 PM

Dunlop plastic finger and thumb picks. They take a while to get used to, but what doesn't?
Old 05-02-2024, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

My fingernails are not in good shape (mainly split nails). However clickity clack with fingerpicks and certain techniques can not be done.

IMO either go bare fingertips or quite short nails you can manage to keep in reasonable shape.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 05-02-2024 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've had liquid acrylic applied over my natural nails for about twenty-five years at a fingernail salon. They were too crumbly to make it through the typical work-ups for a recital and when I dug in with any force I could feel them wearing down. My instructor used acrylic. My wife actually dragged me down to the salon when she heard me complaining... again.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-02-2024, 07:57 PM

Bluebonnet Hair, Skin, & Nails worked for me. My nails were less than paper thin but my wife ordered these for me and within a few weeks they were strong enough to do some light picking. Within a couple of months they were as strong as they were years and years ago.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 05-02-2024, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

There's something of a movement on YouTube for people who play classical without nails. Apparently, there's a number of famous players who played without them. I don't really watch these vids as I have great nails but I see YT recommending them to me all the time. No nails seems like a much better option to me than plastic. I've tried slip on nail picks when my job at the time didn't allow me to grow nails (because they would break) and I couldn't get them to work.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:10 AM

Check Rob Mccillop's website. He's the most prominent advocate I know of for playing with flesh instead of nails. I go back and forth, but actually prefer playing with shorter nails and hitting the sweet spot between the nail and the flesh. If my nails are in good shape I use them, if not I don't. The Wolfram nail file made a big positive difference for me.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:14 AM

Default flesh instead of nails

Yeah, I watched a few videos about the no-nails issue, so I'm familiar with it.

The main thing I was seeking, and got, is that the fingerpicks ARE uncomfortable and feel weird at first and aren't easy to get used to for EVERYONE, but if I persist, I'll eventually learn to get used to it.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

I'm going to persist with both the butterfly and the fingerpicks. Not sure if I'll do it at the same time, or 3 months with one and 3 months with the other?

The reason I want to despite no-nails being a valid choice is the more I listen to Antonio Lauro pieces, the more I'm convinced some songs or techniques need a harder attack than flesh/skin can give.

I can also imagine some scenarios where I might just want the extra volume I think they give.

It may be that after getting accustomed to their use, I decide I was wrong and they weren't necessary.

In any case, I'll return with my thoughts and progress at times.
Cordoba Stage
Old 05-03-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
I have bad nails. I am unable to use nails when playing....Is this something I will eventually get used to? Should I persevere?..
I didn't see you address (or I missed) whether you've tried "applied" nails. Guitar players, for ... ever... have used different types of nail applications and they seem to work for all types of applications. Even for those with great nails, extensive play can tear up your nails.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:24 AM

dMy nails are normally pretty decent but I keep them short and tend to play with fingertips anyway since that's what I've been doing for years and I don't like the feeling of the strings against my nails. If I need something with more a more percussive attack I will just use a flatpick for that number.
It's not fancy but it works for me.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
.... If I need something with more a more percussive attack I will just use a flatpick for that number. It's not fancy but it works for me.
Don't be sure. There's some pretty fancy flat-picking being done out there.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...The main thing I was seeking, and got, is that the fingerpicks ARE uncomfortable and feel weird at first and aren't easy to get used to for EVERYONE, but if I persist, I'll eventually learn to get used to it....

...The reason I want to despite no-nails being a valid choice is the more I listen to Antonio Lauro pieces, the more I'm convinced some songs or techniques need a harder attack than flesh/skin can give.

In any case, I'll return with my thoughts and progress at times.
If you're referring in particular to Lauro's Maria Carolina, you're right that John Williams uses a more aggressive attack than most on this piece, to great effect, but not so throughout. He contrasts the verses with subtle dynamic and timbre changes to enhance melody lines and enliven the entire piece. At a brisk tempo, and he's in full command of it.
That's hard enough to do with fingers. Using picks for that will only make things more difficult for you, should you go down that path. Just my opinion.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-03-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
If you're referring in particular to Lauro's Maria Carolina, you're right that John Williams uses a more aggressive attack than most on this piece, to great effect, but not so throughout. He contrasts the verses with subtle dynamic and timbre changes to enhance melody lines and enliven the entire piece. At a brisk tempo, and he's in full command of it.
That's hard enough to do with fingers. Using picks for that will only make things more difficult for you, should you go down that path. Just my opinion.
it's also Wayne Johnson's Puvaman, and a few others.
Cordoba Stage
Old 05-04-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I didn't see you address (or I missed) whether you've tried "applied" nails. Guitar players, for ... ever... have used different types of nail applications and they seem to work for all types of applications. Even for those with great nails, extensive play can tear up your nails.
I'm not doing applied nails or acrylic polish. I've considered it, I don't want to so intensely that there's no reason to try to convince me.

I didn't discuss it directly, just said that was outside the discussion I wanted to have, i.e., do you eventually get used to fingerpicks or is my intense dislike of them on the first few tries likely to be permanent?

My fallback is just flesh/skin.
Cordoba Stage
Old 05-04-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
..... do you eventually get used to fingerpicks or is my intense dislike of them on the first few tries likely to be permanent?
My fallback is just flesh/skin.
I can't speak for you but I've never liked fingerpicks. I fingerpick with fingertips. I've never really liked fingerpicks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical