The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2004, 11:48 AM

I spend most of my time on Three of my Six acoustic guitars.

My Breedlove C25, Goodall GC and Santa Cruz OM get played nearly every day. I keep those in different tunings and out of their cases on stands for quick access. (No Kids or Pets inside to worry about knocking them over).

The little Larrivee Parlor gets plenty of playing time too when I travel.

My Breedlove Gerhard model gets very little playing time as of late. Wonderful tone and neck, but its a little too big for me. My '97 Taylor 514 CW was my main player from '97 through 2001 but has not been played more than and hour in the last two years. I guess I just tired of the typical Taylor sound and longed for more bottom end.

I've thought of selling both the Gerhard and 514.

Scott
Old 09-30-2004, 12:10 PM

I have debated with myself recently about having too many guitars, but I keep winning the argument and therefore keep them all.

I do think I can justify all of them.

710 - bar gigging and general overall use. My first and favorite.

314 - wonderful for playing while sitting at home. Also great at gigs for that special fingerpicking love song. Very intimate, plus it is one of my Taylorstocks which makes it very hard to part with.

615 - just starting to appreciate this one. What a boomer. I use it for large gatherings such as a gym or auditorium. I know it doesn't make a lot of difference because they are plugged in, but it still works for me. It is also a Taylorstock.

310 K - great all purpose guitar that I don't mind messing up a little. Great for kid programs where they are going to want to touch and strum. Not a lot invested and not one I worry about.

455 R - gotta have a 12 for all of the above. This one is great.

Baby - mostly travel

Tama - definitely my beater for bonfires, campouts, and the beach.

Martin O16 NY - really doesn't get played hardly at all, but it is my first good acoustic and I don't think I could ever get rid of it.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvkruzan
I found that accessibility to them makes a big difference as to wethere they get played more or not. When we added hangers in the music room and have most of the guitars out now, we find that we play most of them throughout the week.
What he said.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 PM

I have a number of guitars, but I guess there are 5 or 6 that get most of the playing with 2 or 3 of those getting the most. Still, I keep 16 of them hanging on hangers in my studio/office. It's nice to have many choices conveniently.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:29 PM

I have two guitars that dont see much playing time. My archtop and the baby. I play my W14c everyday. I keep my strat in the family room along with my Korg Ampworks which I play when I'm chillin with the wife and kid. And when I'm in the basement, I play my McCarty though my amp.

Three is max for me. The Taylor is great for my acoustic. The strat is a great electric w/single coils, and the McCarty give me that thick humbucker tone. Would love a tele, but then I'd have to rid of something.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 PM

Smile

Joe, this is an interesting thread as I just added another guitar to the family. I now own 7 guitars. I've never owned that many guitars at once before. However, I really can't see parting with any of them at this time. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get them all played. At the moment, I'm in the phase of gettting to know the new guitar (the Ruby Red PS14ce) as I've only had it a little over a week. The new guitar always gets played more. It's going to take time to figure it out. Gee, what a problem to have! I'm looking it upon with gratitude. I am so fortunate to own these beautiful guitars. I'll play them. It's just kind of over whelming at the moment.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 09-30-2004, 01:25 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian
If You Have Multiple Guitars . . .

Is there one or two that you play all the time while the other X# stay in their cases or do you have a "rotation" schedule?

I find that I go through periods of playing this or that or these 2 or 3 guitars virtually exclusively for months at a time, but then I remember that there are other guitars under the piano and switch up for another period of time.

When it seems to me that a particular instrument is no longer getting played over about 6-12 months or so, I sell it.

How about you?
IF you have multiple guitars?? I think it is safe to assume that 90% + of the folks here do!!

I do the same as you.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-30-2004, 01:26 PM

You know Marge, I'm aiming at getting down to 7 guitars (hahaha) but have had as many as 15 I think.

Right now there are 2 out of town, 4 electrics (2 are for sale), 6 acoustics with a 7th coming any minute! What's that? 13. 11 of which live here and 2 of those are up for sale.

Still seems like too many, but everything has its place, its purpose, its own sound and reason for being.

Ah, well!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:56 PM

Smile

I'm just glad I'm not into electrics. I have enough trouble saying no to acoustics. Of course, I did not count the mandolin as I haven't played it in a long time. I keep it because my daughter likes it. I'm just an acoustic guitar woman. I'm also working on being content with what I have and not needing any more guitars. It's not hard at the moment since I'll be teaching most of this year in order to pay my hubby back. He made the last 2 purchases possible. The problem may be after that. I'll just bet the short scale Taylors will be regular production by then and that may be very attractive. Time will tell.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 09-30-2004, 01:59 PM

I once enjoyed photography as a major hobby. A truism among photographers, especially photojournalists, is:

The best photographer is the one with the right camera ready.

For me, there is a very close parallel with my guitars. I have 5, the most I've ever owned, and each one fulfills a specific task. Right now, that's all I need, though I often drool when playing someone's else's fine guitars.

Maybe that's why I don't get asked to play them like I used to....

cotten
Old 09-30-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
I often drool when playing someone's else's fine guitars.

Maybe that's why I don't get asked to play them like I used to....

cotten
Ewwwwww!!

hahahaha

You can drool on my guitars anytime, John!

It'll wipe off!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:27 PM

I travel a great deal and the Taylor 420 gets played most only by default; in that it is the only guitar that is with me at the time. The 420 is also loud and I like that.

At home I am playing the 814ce most of the time. I love it plugged in to the PA system I have. It sounds wonderful plugged in. Unplugged it still sounds great but it does not have the volume I personally like.

Next in line is the 855e. I love it and I usually spend at least a half hour on it. Again the ES into the PA system sounds great There are songs that are great on a 12 and I practice them.

The Yairi is a wonderfull dreadnaught. Mahogany and sitka. It is very warm in tone and I play in when I am in a mood to play softly. I also play it late at night when my wife and son are sleeping. It is a short scale model and very easy to play.

The Ovation is rarely played and is for sale. I purchased it in Sept 2002 to see if I was interested in returning to guitar after 30 years away. It served it's purpose and now someone else should have it.

I have on the way a very nice used Taylor 810 and sometime this winter I will be ordering a Goodall Jumbo. A little incentive here as I have put the goal of weight loss against the order date. When I lose 22 lbs I will place the order.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 09-30-2004, 02:34 PM

I've got WAY too many guitars. Some are for having but most are for playing. Of the players, there's a fairly steady rotation, though nothing fixed, and there are some guitars that definitely get more time, but I try to play them all. If they're not "for having" (collectables and sentimentals) and they're not getting played then they're designated "for selling".

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13
Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 PM

Can we include other instruments as well? Here's what I got:

Taylor 414
Taylor 355
Martin SPD-16K2
Fender Mex Strat
Michael Kelly Firefly Mando
G String Koa Uke

Of the above, about 90% of my time is spent playing the 414 and the SPD-16K2, in equal amounts. About once a month I get out the 355 and play it for about an hour. The Strat only sees the light of day about once every six months, ditto the mando. I keep the uke in my bedroom and every now and then, I play it before I go to bed . . . because it always puts a big smile on my face.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:25 PM

I usually cycle between 3 or 4 and pull the 810 out when i need up lifting[like medicine..this is my quitin smokin guitar]..i should play her more but i use her for a treat most of the time or to show or let someone worthy play-not that im worthy by the way and i still cant believe i own it!then my new martin 00016c-gte,then the larrivee do-2[now at one of my buddies house] which i played alot of the time -almost a main guitar for a while until the new martin came home..my fender steel dobro lookin guitar[at the same buddies house now and for messin with slide and open 'd' and 'g'] and the old fender gemini[my first new guitar..at the same buddies and strung in nashville tuning]...the big baby[my daughters but its out on the stand alot],her cort 727 sometimes as it is on the stand..but now on loan as is her ibanez day tripper..i would pull out my martin d-18 now and again[1979 with some wear/patina on it but real boomy/lloud..and it is at another friends house so i have a good one to play when i visit]...the thing is with the new house full of family and three dogs that run in the house from time to time i have been setting it up so i can play my stuff when i visit my buds.....my 12 string epi is at another buddies[he has my old/new 310..we traded and i ended up with the d-18]...my santane -se[original batch] is at another friend who is gigging with it......lil sister has her takemine electric set up with a small fender practice amp so ill mess with it ...the jackson soloist[usa made] is in the case a lot but when it comes out she rocks!...er..if someone besides me plays it that is...lol..ill use a laney 60 watt combo amp[acoustic /electric] or my 100 watt crate..,or i did but now the crate and laney and peavey/pa and crate half stack are in storage with my remote control stuff.....my boy has the 'snake-eater 'setting out now so i beat that up[carlo robelli cw4103fce] and i just traded for another of the same kind[gr8 cheapo!]..we are playing with the washburn dime 3 usa thru a smaller crate combo and the gen-x 3 digi-tech...my fender dg22ce is coming back home soon..it was a loaner for an old friend who was itching to play gitbox..this held him over untill he bought his new big-baby...i really like the hangin on the wall idea untill winter time anyways...my other sons gibson sg-gothic gets pulled out every now and again[he doesnt play yet but what a kool guitar to own....even if you dont play..it was a present from me and mom to him and he digs it plus he shows it to girls when he brings them home]....so i reckon they all get played but a few more so than the others.......my mandolin is down the street at the neighbors house...i cant really play it any way!!!!i hate the thought of selling them..any of them...im still missing my 310 taylor!!i know i got a martin d-18 but......and it feels as if im leaving out some guitars...lol..i cant imagine trombone's guitar madness...hehe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion