The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2001, 03:33 PM

Post Jewels guitars

hi peoples. i loove the way jewel plays.and i loove the way her guitars sound... and i was readin the credits.and she said that Taylor guitars were her favorite. or something like that... anyone know which she uses? i want to play just like her...even tho i cant play at all right now....if you know..em me and tell me or something.. thanks
Old 02-11-2001, 04:28 PM

Smile

Sarah,

Go to taylorgutars.com Taylor makes a special signature model for Jewel (more money than most beginners should probably be spending, though). It's a grand auditorium body shape. A 300 level Taylor (their lowest line) is absolutely still professional level. Taylor doesn't make anything that isn't professional level. A lot of people starting out go through a $100 guitar, a $200 guitar, a $400 guitar, a $475 guitar with cheesy electronics, etc...goodgooblilygoo - what a waste of money. Then if they haven't been completely demoralized by how bad a bad guitar can make you sound, they finally get a real guitar such as a Taylor. Skip the goofy waste of time and waste of money steps ( if you've got the money) and get a 300 level Taylor. One of the last great deals on the planet. Oh my goodness, I'm sounding like Ed Roman...

Can I suggest you check out two posts in particular here at the forum?

In the Anything Goes section, check out a post called "help with what to get" by sweetmelissagirl. Taylor guitars come with different width necks. All of my female students prefer thinner necks. Jewel, being from Alaska, may have spent her youth chopping down trees, pulling fishing nets, and wrestling polar bears. She may very well have hands larger and stronger than a typical woman's - I believe she uses the wider 1 3/4 inch neck instead of the thinner 1 11/16. The different size necks can have a huge effect on your playing if you fall either to the large hand or small hand size side....

Also, Jewel plays fingerstyle often. You should check out my post (which has oh so sadly made it to the 2nd page of this section perhaps never to be seen again) called Excellent Fingerstyle instruction book/CD's. They're not books for someone with no experience, but once you do have a little experience, they'll easily get you playing in Jewel's style and beyond.

By the way, get your Taylor 314 (or 314ce), and then go find an instructor who believes in reading music! Truly believes in it. You want music lessons, they'll just happen to be on the guitar. Lifetime of fun.....

Don't forget there's a Playing and Technique section here at the forum...

Good luck...

[This message has been edited by mapletrees (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-11-2001, 09:45 PM

Smile

mapletrees,
thanks so much for all yr info...i didnt expect anyone to answer any time soon... ill do that tho...

i have been playin round with my moms guitar shes had for like..ever... 20 years..but i dont like the way it sounds... it sounds nothing like Jewels...

thanks again..

< this has no point..just cute
Old 02-11-2001, 11:18 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Sarah. Welcome to the Forum! I've had the chance to play the Jewel signature model on a few occasions, and I've been very impressed with this guitar - and it's price. I think you'll be happy if you save up the extra money and go for this particular guitar. It has a wonderful sound, and the cosmetics of the guitar are beautiful.

J.R.
Old 02-12-2001, 12:15 PM

Smile

Uh oh....

Sarah...J.R.'s correct on the Jewel guitar - it's a wonderful guitar as are all Taylors.. Of course ALL Taylor guitars are a great value, too. Most people who have no clue as to what quality guitars cost get a very bad case of sticker shock when they find out, though. When you said can't play at all, I took that to mean you were brand new and clueless about all matters guitar related.

J.R. I know were not supposed to talk price, but what level (500, 800, 900 etc..) does a Jewel signature come out at roughly? I don't want to peddle misinformation...The only one I ever saw was marked as one serious chunk of change compared to a 300 (as in not even close) ...certainly could have been my error....

Hey, have I gotten two reprimands from you this weekend?
Old 02-12-2001, 12:37 PM

Hi Sarah.

I had the chance to play a new Jewel model and it was very nice. As J.R. says, it's a lot of guitar for the money.

But I would also agree with mapletrees. You're going to have to spend at least a few hundred for a reasonable quality, solid wood acoustic, even if it's only for a solid top. While I'm partial to Taylor for a number of reasons (sound, looks, quality, relative pricing, awesome customer service, etc.), there are other brands that make similar guitars in that price range. That same day, I also played a very basic, mahogany parlour size Larivee that was just delicious.

While the Jewel is beautiful, the 314 is very similar, just with less frills and different back and sides. My 410 is what I call my "poor man's 810." Sounds almost just as good. You can't go wrong with even an entry level Taylor.

Just pay attention to the neck width and its comfort for you.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:24 PM

Talking

hi people...i found her guitar!! well its on her page... thanks for all your help...buhbyes
Old 03-16-2001, 10:56 PM
Jim

I believe her main guitar has been a 914CE.
Old 03-17-2001, 01:18 AM

I know she has (or had) a GA-BE. Since I'm not into her music, I don't know what she plays now. But I did see her once with a GA-BE while I was flipping through TV stations (and had to stop to see what the guitar was) ... just like I've been watching the PBS special on Donny Osmond ... I think the guitarist had a 514c and a 410c ... not totally sure though since it's in the background

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion