The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I think a lot of it is how we play as individuals. I have friends who play J-45's, Songwriters, and Hummingbirds and they sound fantastic, but when I try a Gibson in the store, I don't get much out of it so I think it's me and that's fine.

Another thing; it's been mentioned more than once that you need to go to a store a large selection of SJ-200's and pick the best one. I've only seen one 200 in the wild. It sat behind the glass in the acoustic room at my local GC for years and this winter when I went to try it, it had finally sold a week before.

When I asked the salesman at Sam Ash how come they didn't stock Jumbo's, he told me ''We don't stock Jumbo's because people don't buy Jumbo's''
Old 04-18-2024, 12:58 PM

SJ-200 - Loud and lots of bass or not? Varying answers

Hey, I buy Jumboes. Love the well balanced sound. Especially from rosewood Jumboes.

Just saying.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 04-18-2024, 05:05 PM

Ha, me too. Reading upthreads about - what people have described as the attributes of a good-performing jumbo - certainly describes my Larivee jumbo.

*I've extolled its virtues previously/elsewhere. In a nutshell, I find the guitar very expressive; very dynamic, wide range tonally and volumetrically. The key ingredient is its evenness. Like, er, a <small piano> it's consistent throughout both its volumetric and timbral range.

Last edited by catt; 04-18-2024 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post

I know what they say about assuming, so here's a couple of things to clarify before giving a better answer.

Are you looking for answers for a Gibson J-200 Jumbo or Gibson SJ-200 Jumbo?

Or all guitars with a model number suffix of J-200 or SJ-200 no matter who makes them?

Note that Gibson has many variants on this Jumbo guitar, and that there is no real difference except the letter 'S' appearing (or not) in most of the nomenclature, including the label affixed to the guitar.
It is not the first Gibson guitar to have an 'SJ' prefix. Blame their marketing department.
The first one with the SJ prefix was a Dreadnought.
And it's called a J-200 because it's a Jumbo and original sold for $200 in the pre-WWII late 30s.

The very first J-200 Jumbo is in the Country Music Hall of Fame. It is a spruce over rosewood, custom built for Ray Whitley supposedly from his sketches of what he wanted in a guitar. The dimensions are the same as the 'true' J-200s being built today. Most people have never heard of him, but he was a 'singing cowboy' who also co-wrote "Back in the Saddle Again" with another singing cowboy named Gene Autry.

General answers follow.

Simple answer: No two guitars sound alike.

Always Play before Pay.

The answers can be all of the above, depending on woods used, locations built, year of manufacture, or something from the Custom Shop, to include special editions, artist editions, or special limited runs. And that still will probably not cover all possibilities.

I believe that a Jumbo is the shape that can produce guitars with the most naturally balanced sound.

My J-200 spruce over rosewood is going on 40 years old, and I have been the sole owner. It can be loud or soft, has incredible resonance, a reverb-like slow decay, and has aged not just gracefully, but also with absolutely great tone. Not to mention a nice darker patina on the natural wood top, and is still in great condition. But the tan-brown Gibson case has taken a beating over the years.

My J-200 is strung with my favorite 6 string gauge, Elixir PB HD Light gauge {.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053}, and it has great trebles, great middles, and great bass. Used to string it with Mediums, but the .056 bass isn't necessary and it sounds better with the Light gauge bass strings. I Also use the same gauge on my Taylor 818 Grand Orchestra (a plus-size Jumbo), and works just fine. Mediums send this 818 guitar into boomy-land. I also use the HD Light gauge on my much smaller Taylor 412e-R short scale Grand Concert. Some guitars don't like the HD gauge, but these spruce over rosewood guitars love it.

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don
As best I can figure Bozeman's use of the "SJ" or "J" prefix is arbitrary. It looks though as if the SJ is used when premium quality woods come into play for both rosewood and maple body instruments. But by and large it is seemingly more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

As far as I know though, Gibson never used the "SJ" prefix for a jumbo. Guitars built before WWII went by the name Super Jumbo. Those after were just listed as a Jumbo 100/200 although Super Jumbo often appeared in the description. It looks like they become officially designated a J200 between 1950 and 1955.

The "dreadnaught" you are referring to is, of course, the Southerner Jumbo. That is how they are listed in the catalog. By 1960, however, the model begins appearing as an SJ Southerner Jumbo.

I gather you are playing a Nashville-built J200. While I have ever spent any time with them so am a babe in the woods, you have to be cautious when comparing J200s. Lots of body wood, body depth and bracing changes through the decades. We, as example, have owned a 1960 J200 for a couple of decades. J200s built from 1951 on sported a bracing which was unique to that model. It has scary wide angled X braces above and below the soundhole (both less than 1" from it) with two ladder mounted tone bars and a long bridge plate. These are considered to be very special and not comparable to any other guitar.

Last edited by zombywoof; 04-19-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
One nickname for the SJ-200 is “the whispering giant.” They tend to be quieter than most players expect.

As for bass response, all that I’ve played have been tonally balanced rather than bass-heavy.

Wade Hampton Miller

Agree with this
Old 04-19-2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
As best I can figure Bozeman's use of the "SJ" or "J" prefix is arbitrary. It looks though as if the SJ is used when premium quality woods come into play for both rosewood and maple body instruments. But by and large it is seemingly more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

As far as I know though, Gibson never used the "SJ" prefix for a jumbo. Guitars built before WWII went by the name Super Jumbo. Those after were just listed as a Jumbo 100/200 although Super Jumbo often appeared in the description. It looks like they become officially designated a J200 between 1950 and 1955.

The "dreadnaught" you are referring to is, of course, the Southerner Jumbo. That is how they are listed in the catalog. By 1960, however, the model begins appearing as an SJ Southerner Jumbo.

I gather you are playing a Nashville-built J200. While I have ever spent any time with them so am a babe in the woods, you have to be cautious when comparing J200s. Lots of body wood, body depth and bracing changes through the decades. We, as example, have owned a 1960 J200 for a couple of decades. J200s built from 1951 on sported a bracing which was unique to that model. It has scary wide angled X braces above and below the soundhole (both less than 1" from it) with two ladder mounted tone bars and a long bridge plate. These are considered to be very special and not comparable to any other guitar.

zw,

Yes, as far as I know it was made in Nashville. Also as far as I know, the whole manufacturing run was made with rosewood back and sides that year. As was the original Ray Whitley model. Also does not have the typical 'tumbleweeds' pickguard and features a "the Gibson" script on the headstock. There may be some J-45s out there like this too.

Here is a video with Mark and Chet each playing '85 J-200s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk

Be well and play well,

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 04-19-2024 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:37 PM

And one other thing. Mine only whispers when I play it softly.

Don
Old 04-19-2024, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
zw,

Yes, as far as I know it was made in Nashville. Also as far as I know, the whole manufacturing run was made with rosewood back and sides that year. As was the original Ray Whitley model. Also does not have the typical 'tumbleweeds' pickguard and features a "the Gibson" script on the headstock. There may be some J-45s out there like this too.

Here is a video with Mark and Chet each playing '85 J-200s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk

Be well and play well,

Don
Man, listen to those piezos quack!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

The SJ-200 has a reputation of being “the quiet giant.”

I have never played one that came close to having me reach for my wallet. Seems like every one I touch is either stuffed with socks or incredibly woofy or mid-scooped to the extreme. Have not had good luck auditioning this model ever.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-20-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
One nickname for the SJ-200 is “the whispering giant.” They tend to be quieter than most players expect.
I agree with this, even though I've only played a couple. One was cherry-picked by a cowboy troubadour who played the dude ranch circuit. He loved the guitar as a strumming backup. We swapped guitars, and it sounded like honey. Beautiful tone. But when I tried Travis picking it with nails and fingertips, you really had to dig in to get some volume. It wasn't meant for fingerpicking.

I mention this because this was apparently a good example, but, as Wade said, it was indeed a "whispering giant".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion