The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Default 3/8 guitar question

Does anyone know if smallguitars.com is a reliable company? I am looking at buying a 3/8 scale guitar to teach our 4 year old daughter on and I cant really find any in that size anywhere else. I would get a 1/2 or a 3/4 but she is very petite and I think it would just be way to big for her. I also might jus get the first act 30 inch kids acoustic, then if she hits something with it we are only out 20 or 30 bucks and can get another one. She is very interested and always wants to play, I let here strum chord on the guitar before I put it away after work.

Last edited by FingerSore; 11-20-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Have you thought about maybe an ukulele with nylon strings? The reason I say this is because I have a 4 year old grand-daughter and I'd be afraid of even letting her try to play a guitar with steel strings. Especially if it was a $30 First Act model from Walmart! I doubt that MY OWN fingers could tolerate one of those things.

I bought my grand-daughter a Kala (made by Makala) baritone uke at Sam Ash. It's the model MB-1 on their web site. They sell 'em for $79 but I talked 'em down to $69 by also buying a rigid foam case too. With tax, it was less than $120 total and "Elissa" loves it. It's actually not a bad little ukulele. I've played it many times myself. Think about it.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 PM

I really don't know anything about ukulele's. I think she would be able to handle a small guitar.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 PM

I would much rather get a child a cheap ukulele (under $100) than a cheap guitar (under $125). A uke has four strings, a left hand has four fingers = chords are a lot easier without having to worry about the two leftover strings. The scale lengths are much friendlier, the strings are easier to play, and the tuning relationship of the strings are the same as the top four strings of the guitar.

Plus, you never outgrow a ukulele - standard sized ukes are easily played by young and old, small and large.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerSore;
I really don't know anything about ukulele's. I think she would be able to handle a small guitar.
Greetings, A baritone ukulele is tuned exactly like the first strings of a guitar. At about 19" scale length it's perfect for a 4 yr.old. Many years ago I had an excellent classical guitar teacher who had a 4 yr old student that he started out on a baritone uke. She grew into a very accomplished classical guitarist and I believe this was in no small part due to her early success with the baritone uke. The ability to play simple melodies and pleasant sounding one and two finger chords coupled with the soft feel of nylon strings will make it a joy to learn for a young child. Kala in particular makes a very well made laminate mahogany baritone in the $100 range. Buy another for yourself and you can share the joy with your daughter. BTW, I was in a student recital with the aforementioned 4 yr old and she brought the house down her performance.
Regards, Brian
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerSore View Post
Does anyone know if smallguitars.com is a reliable company? I am looking at buying a 3/8 scale guitar to teach our 4 year old daughter on and I cant really find any in that size anywhere else. I would get a 1/2 or a 3/4 but she is very petite and I think it would just be way to big for her. I also might jus get the first act 30 inch kids acoustic, then if she hits something with it we are only out 20 or 30 bucks and can get another one. She is very interested and always wants to play, I let here strum chord on the guitar before I put it away after work.
They grow up a lot faster than we ever want to admit, and they can deal with things that don't seem to be properly proportioned to their physical nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a5rhAEUlXU

Keep this in mind before spending your money several times.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion