The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Can playing a guitar hard cause action fluctuations followed by stringbuzz/harshtone?

I restrung one of my guitars today, and played it for a while. Towards the end of my session, I decided to crank up the volume and played it loud and firm for a good ten minutes (like an ape). Once I'd finished strumming the heck out it, I went back to do a little fingerpicking and noticed a prominent buzz coming from at least three strings. Even strumming it quietly afterwards the buzz was pronounced. The tone also sounded quite harsh at this point(even when played quietly)

Is it possible that all that vibration could lower the action and/or harshen the tone, or is there some other explanation for this type of instant string buzz.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Could be a loose brace or a worn out string from playing too hard.I'd replace the strings before worrying.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMahoney View Post
Could be a loose brace or a worn out string from playing too hard.I'd replace the strings before worrying.
The weird thing was that I'd just replaced all the strings ten minutes before. They all sounded great before I upped the volume.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM

Could be with the extra tension of strumming it too hard the truss rod went out of wack a little.Check the angle or get someone who knows how to do it take a look.If you can do it you're self try adjusting the truss rod a little to see if it can be corrected.Or it just might be grooves in the saddle causing the buzz.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I once lent my guitar to a friend who played much harder than I do and the exact same thing happened. It turned out that there was a spot on the saddle that needed filed down and a fret needed tapped down. After those two adjustments, all was back to normal.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 PM

love the description 'going at it like an ape'.
we're all just giant naked apes arent we?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Bigger questions - did you change string gauge or brand? If so it's possible that your overall string profile changed and you need a slight adjustment. Otherwise, you may have while changing strings, playing.... possibly left it out longer than possible and it dried out a little bit? Several factors starting (from you description) with the string change.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM

good possibility that the new strings just stretched. did you use a tuner to make sure they were still in tune?
pat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion