The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 AM

Default The waiting is the hardest part...

(not a Tom Petty thread...)

Well, dropped my guitar off yesterday for a little work:
1) add a strap button to the heel
2) replace factory bridge with bone bridge
3) replace factory nut with bone nut
4) replace plastic factory bridge pins

Guitar tech is not too busy right now, but could take 7-10 days...

I was just getting to the point where lots of things were "making sense" for me. Chord changes, strumming patterns, alternate picking - these things were coming on well. (plus, my left hand fingers were finally really hardening up!) I'm a teacher, so I have lots of time to play during the summer months, even with everything else I have going on.

So, now I'm "stuck" playing my Washburn nylon string. It's just...not the same. Will I make it through the next week or two? What positives can I take out of this?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Playing nylon is a bit different, requiring things that you don't always experience on steel. Embrace it fully in the meantime. When you go back to steel, you'll have a new set of skills!

(You meant bone saddle, didn't you, not bridge? Minus 5 for the wrong use of a word, but overall your writing was clear and concise, and your spelling and grammar were impeccable. I'd give you an A-. )

cotten
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM

I did mean saddle...an A-...dang...there goes my GPA!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM

The irony is that for about 98% of that 7-10 days, the guitar will be sitting there in the case. I am fortunate to have someone who will work by appointment, and get the work done while I wait. A strap button took about 2 minutes. Had a bone saddle cut and compensated last year, and it took less than an hour. Bridge pins are just a part of changing strings. Just a couple of weeks ago, I asked him about getting a bone nut and saddle and he told me to allow about 2 1/2 hours for both. Most shops, however, want to have the next two or three weeks worth of work secured by having the instruments left far in advance.

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed51 View Post
The irony is that for about 98% of that 7-10 days, the guitar will be sitting there in the case.
Yeah - I just spoke with the tech (he wasn't in yesterday when I dropped the guitar off). He said it would be done by the weekend. Cool. But I agree, it's probably a couple hour job at most. But I can wait a few days...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion