The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-18-2024, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Advice on making a custom internal label?

Anyone have any refs on doing this? Type of paper? Or glue(I would assume spray)? Applying/ installing the label?
Old 03-19-2024, 08:14 AM

I designed my label along with the instrument when developing the CAD drawing. I print out the label section full size, cut it out from the paper, lightly "antique" it, attach with the same double back adhesive that is used to attach pick guards. It's the least messy method I could think of and it doesn't introduce moisture which deforms paper.

I like clean and easy.

If you want to see my label design details as done with CAD the entire construction print is available in PDF form in my "Complete small body slot head 14 fret plan" topic post.

Here is a shot that partially shows the label. I sized it to fit between the back braces and centered beneath the sound hole.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-19-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:35 AM

I've only done one so far but I used watered down TB original and Parchment paper that I printed on my laser printer. I think it came out pretty good and after 6-7 years the label is still in place, still looks good.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 03-19-2024, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks. Double sided adhesive is a good idea and probably easier to install cleanly.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

I use parchment, and glue it in with HHG. After signing, and before gluing, I soak the label in shellac to make altering the label more challenging.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Forceps to install?
Old 03-19-2024, 12:41 PM

I found a design I liked and put it together in Photoshop and print 'blank' sheets of 8 labels per page on various colored quality paper I get at an art supply store. I use a light color on dark wood and a dark color on light. With a pen I sign and date the label and add a number from my own numbering system. Then with a cigarette lighter I burn the edges of the label for looks. Then I spray a couple coats of nitro over it and glue it in with what ever but typically Titebond.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Like so many other things, Frets.com is a good place to start: http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...bel/label.html

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:55 PM

I decided to use a brand instead of a label. Ordered through aliexpress, sent the artwork and attached the brass "iron" to a soldering iron. It was $12 a few years ago.

I brand the back of the necks too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...blic/lightbox/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair