The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois 000 recommendations

I am requesting some advice about Bourgeois guitars. They've recently come into my radar. I'm a fingerpicker and leering flatpicking. I cannot play a D because of an old shoulder injury.

I love the sound of old Martins as does most everyone but have a 8K budget.

I'm looking for a Bourgeois with a 000 body, torrefied SITKA top, protein glue, Mahagony back and sides, large sound hole, thinking about double bracing but not sure what it will do.

I plan to use the guitar for fingerpicking and some small group flatpicking.

Any advice on a model and specs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 03-28-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

My only experience with Bourgeois in that body size is a Soloist. I own one with Aged tone Adirondack top, Macassar Ebony back and sides, hide glue. It has near piano string clarity, so not really like a vintage Martin. It is an excellent fingerstyle guitar and performs very well when using a pick.

I bought mine used from a touring artist. She had three of them, the only guitar she plays. I can understand why.

Here is a highlight video of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=520i0xang5A

Last edited by Draft Guitar; 03-28-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:18 PM

One of the best guitars I have ever played was a Bourgeois 000 Country Boy. Adi top Mahogany back and sides. The guitar sounded huge. I unfortunately could not afford the guitar at the time. I would definitely recommend trying one out.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I love my Bourgeois OM. It was originally sold from a shop in Pittsburgh though I got it used. They’ve been good to provide info and help and carry Bourgeois so I’ll just drop this link here. It is an OM so has the longer scale but looks sweet.

https://acousticmusicworks.com/colle...r-mahogany-new
Old 03-28-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

I had two Bourgeois Dreads that I got from my Dad when he passed away and and they were just incredible guitars. There's nothing quite like them and I would have loved to have a 000 Bourgeois because like you I prefer a smaller body guitar. I ended up with a Taylor 714 as in the end there's just no reason for me to own anything as expensive as a Bourgeois but if you want a lifer 000 I wouldn't hesitate to get a Bourgeois. Avoid the Bourgeois Touchstone guitars of course though.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:51 PM

I played a Country Boy once and it sounded fantastic. It didn’t sound very Martin-like though. More hi-fi maybe? More balanced?
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 03-28-2024, 06:02 PM

I bought and test drove (then traded or sold) 9 Martin's ... all 00's, 000's, including a CEO-7, plus an OM between 2020 and November of 2023. Then, I strummed a newly-built Bourgeois 00 Heirloom/Vintage Series at Northern Lights Music, in NH. It has an AT (Torrefied) Adi soundboard and IRW back and sides, all aged-tone down to the bracing and finish. It's stunning in every way. As another member suggested, it sounds like a piano. My journey through the Martin line to find the perfect instrument for me, was over.

Then, about three weeks ago, I bumped into a ten-year-old, mint condition, 0-Custom (Bearclaw Italian top, Madagascar RW back and sides, Varnish Finish, which is no longer available as an option) at a local music shop; it was on consignment. I couldn't resist it, so I bought it. It is just that much more intimate in every way, and I love it just that much more than the 00.

I'm obviously a Bourgeois convert, from Martin, whose guitars I still have a great affinity for.

In looking for Hog back and sides, you're probably looking at a Country Boy, or a Custom-built instrument, although you might also be able to find a non-torrefied Sitka top/Mahogany in the Professional Series, for less money.

From what I've come to understand, the large sound hole is typically found on an OM, but can occasionally be found on a 000 (short scale). Probably worth mentioning that Dana's typical short scale is 25" (versus 24.9), so the difference between an OM and a 000 is not as great as it might be with other makers.

I don't know if you've seen the Bourgeois website, where there's a tab for "Recently Shipped Guitars" . It can be sorted by Dealer, Body Size, Style, Top Wood, and several other options.

$8K budget should be doable, especially if you want to Custom-build to your specs (wait 8 months, or so, for the build). You might also find something you like at one of the bigger Bourgeois dealers.

Feel free to PM me, and I'll share an email address to Dana's assistant, who is typically very responsive to inquiries by email. Maybe he can share insight on where to find what you are looking for.

Last edited by FretMuse; 03-28-2024 at 06:30 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion