The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2018, 10:27 AM

Default CA Cargo strings.

Just got the cargo. It came with light strings.
Anyone here tried medium strings with this guitar to get more volume ?
80/20 or phosphor bronze?
Thanks
Froggy Bottom H-12 EIR / Adirondack
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Larrivee RS-4 Forum V (No.6)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I own an ‘08 Cargo since new and as my general string preference is Elixir PB lights which is what the original Cargos shipped with, I have always stuck with them. That said, as I’d been thinking that the guitar could use a little brighter tone, at last string change I decided to try 80/20s and I find that they do in fact add a touch of brightness to a guitar that has a (nice) touch of bass emphasis. As a result, I expect to carry on with the 80/20s. As for light versus mediums, I did try a set of mediums and although the volume may have increased a bit, I personally don’t find that the Cargo lacks in volume unless if jamming with others. So, as I prefer the slinkiness of lights, that’s what I stick with.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks! I will try the 80/20s.
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Old 01-22-2018, 04:55 PM

I have a pre-Peavey Cargo and alternate between the Elixir nanoweb 80/20s and PBs, as I like the tone of each for different reasons. The 80/20 seems to add a little shimmer and extra brightness to the tone, whereas the PBs seem to have a little more warm rich complexity, but I find it a little difficult to explain the difference in words and am not fully satisfied with this description--you have to hear it to truly appreciate. I've gone a year or more with one, and then I switch to the other and decide that is my new favorite, only to find myself switching back after a while.... Both options are great, and it's common for ears to be fickle with longing for variation in the form of a new guitar or strings (strings are cheaper). Might as well buy both, and save in your case whichever set you don't prefer, because you may just switch to it after a while when your ears seek something fresh.

I do prefer Medium strings on the Cargo, as I like the boost in volume and I sometimes get a little carried away with driving it too hard since it's so small and comfortable in my lap. The lights felt a little too slinky for my fingers, but I can see it being a joy for others. There is a volume difference.

Due to the shorter scale length, the pounds of tension on the strings is less than it would be with a full-scale guitar, so medium strings on the Cargo are actually easier to play than on a full size guitar. It's definitely worth trying medium strings out to see if they suit your style, or I would recommend at least trying a set of Light-Mediums (.012 .016 .024 .035 .045 .056) if you're not sure about going to the full set of medium strings. I have found light-mediums to offer almost the same playability as lights, as the GBE strings are light gauge and where your fingers often feel the most strain, and the EAD strings are medium gauge which don't hamper playing despite the volume boost.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonfiberfan View Post
I have a pre-Peavey Cargo and alternate between the Elixir nanoweb 80/20s and PBs, as I like the tone of each for different reasons. The 80/20 seems to add a little shimmer and extra brightness to the tone, whereas the PBs seem to have a little more warm rich complexity, but I find it a little difficult to explain the difference in words and am not fully satisfied with this description--you have to hear it to truly appreciate. I've gone a year or more with one, and then I switch to the other and decide that is my new favorite, only to find myself switching back after a while.... Both options are great, and it's common for ears to be fickle with longing for variation in the form of a new guitar or strings (strings are cheaper). Might as well buy both, and save in your case whichever set you don't prefer, because you may just switch to it after a while when your ears seek something fresh.

I do prefer Medium strings on the Cargo, as I like the boost in volume and I sometimes get a little carried away with driving it too hard since it's so small and comfortable in my lap. The lights felt a little too slinky for my fingers, but I can see it being a joy for others. There is a volume difference.

Due to the shorter scale length, the pounds of tension on the strings is less than it would be with a full-scale guitar, so medium strings on the Cargo are actually easier to play than on a full size guitar. It's definitely worth trying medium strings out to see if they suit your style, or I would recommend at least trying a set of Light-Mediums (.012 .016 .024 .035 .045 .056) if you're not sure about going to the full set of medium strings. I have found light-mediums to offer almost the same playability as lights, as the GBE strings are light gauge and where your fingers often feel the most strain, and the EAD strings are medium gauge which don't hamper playing despite the volume boost.
Wow, This is a very detailed answer and now I know exactly what I am going to do.
I will definitely go medium, I am using mediums on my other guitars, and will try both PB and 80/20.
Thank you very much!
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Yeah, I can see how going back and forth between the PBs and 80/20s is a good idea to change things up a bit.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Not a CA cargo, but a CA GX - another +1 on 80/20s. For me, the best option over PBs. I recently tried martin monels on a whim, doesn't work at all. I use 0.013s now but not sure how they would go on the smaller Cargo.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 AM

You could consider the Elixir HD light, which is a series developed with Taylor especially for short scale guitars (as I understand it, anyway). These stradle the line between light and medium, with gauges .013, .017, .025, .032, .042 and .053. You can find them in nano- and poly- web, I think, and also in PB or 80/20. I use the 80/20's on my cargo.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
You could consider the Elixir HD light, which is a series developed with Taylor especially for short scale guitars (as I understand it, anyway). These stradle the line between light and medium, with gauges .013, .017, .025, .032, .042 and .053. You can find them in nano- and poly- web, I think, and also in PB or 80/20. I use the 80/20's on my cargo.
Thanks. I may try them if the mediums will not work for me.
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Old 01-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post

I experimented a lot with strings for my cargo and agree with the above.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 PM

I put D'addario 80/20 mediums and it is wonderful.

Such a lovely guitar, I enjoy her very much.

She goes to my office, where I had an expansive wood guitar. It is 10% humidity now in the building and I am so happy to be relieved from the stress of keeping the other guitar happy in that environment...
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood
Old 01-23-2018, 08:02 PM

FWIW, the Cargo has a rather short 22.75" scale. Medium gauge (56-13) strings would have about the same tension as lights on a longer scale guitar. My wife plays her Cargo with lights in Open G tuning (slack-key) where the 6th, 5th and 1st strings are pretty loose, but she is more concerned with playing comfort than maximizing volume. I think it has Elixir PB's on it right now.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 PM

Yes. Very easy with mediums on this guitar. I wonder how heavy strings will act on it.
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood

Last edited by psr-740; 01-24-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr-740 View Post
Yes. Very easy with mediums on this guitar. I wonder heavy strings will act on it.
psr...just curious...in your signature list, you say “Acoustic Research Cargo”. It should be “Composite Acoustics (CA) Cargo”, where CA has been owned by Peavey since 2010 having taken over the original CA company but has kept the name.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Tom,

That's so funny, I knew its Composite Acoustics. I don't know what I was thinking when I added the Cargo to my signature. ( Probably the speakers I had years ago...)

I felt so stupid now...

Thanks for the remark.
Gold Tone baritone
Larrivee RS-4 Lacewood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber