The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Guest 928

Default Just One?

At first, I collected as many guitars as I could get my hands on. And then I narrowed it down to just nylon string guitars. I soon realized that there was no way I was going to collect every nylon string guitar made; at that point I had 14 guitars in my collection.

I then discovered carbon fiber. First there was a Cargo, then an Ox. But I like nylon strung instruments and moved along to CF nylons. I thought I might collect every carbon fiber nylon string made; two Blackbirds, one Rainsong, two Emeralds, and a German special order.

My sense of economics rebelled at the cost of such a collection, so I decided with ride with just two CF acoustic/electric guitars--a Rainsong Parlor and an Emerald X10N, both great instruments.

But then, I thought, they are both acoustics. Maybe I should I should go to one acoustic/electric and one electric/acoustic CF guitar? Obligingly, Alistair made me an electric/acoustic nylon string, thin body, electric carbon fiber/woody hybrid.

Now I have 3 guitars, two acoustics and one electric. I've considered selling one of the acoustic, now I am thinking of selling both acoustics.

I've had several weeks with the Emerald electric/acoustic guitar and I've played several times with other musicians in my community. I find that I am using the guitar in both acoustic and electric modes. The guitar has amazing projecting for a small thin-bodied instrument; enough volume that I can have a presence with other instruments.

Electrified, the guitar is electrifying. It is incredibly sensitive and I find it takes very little touch to get the sound. It is also amazing when played with effects.

Anyway, the point is, I'm almost at the point of thinking that all I need is one guitar. Well maybe, just one more.

As fantastic as my Emerald is, I think it could be more fantastic. Instead of an X7 size an X10 size. Maybe a 1/2 inch wider? Same short scale, same fret width, same electronics.

That's where I'm at on the carbon fiber front.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Evan, your quest for the best makes me smile. I admire your ability to get something spectacular and then wonder if there could be something more spectacular-er. Good luck scratching that itch.

Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Just One?
One do it all guitar? I'm sure that may work for some but I think it's better to have several.
Have you played a headless guitar? I'll never buy another guitar with a headstock. https://www.kieselguitars.com

Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 AM

Evan, , while you might think it’s hilarious to propose the (frankly horrifying) idea of only having one guitar,
please be aware a lot of us here are of sensitive dispositions.

I myself had to take a valium and go and have bit of a lie down after reading your post.
Also, I am making a determined effort to quit smoking, which has been going pretty well up ‘til now.

For a lot of us, the idea of only having one guitar is as repugnant as only having one car, house, boat or girlfriend.

If you are going to try this gag again please leave it ‘til April 1st. When it may just be possible to see the funny side.

Thanks, Jon
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Guest 928

Song;
For a brief moment I ran through a number of headless guitars and the ones you picture here are beautiful. I liked headless guitars enough to have taken it upon myself to make one from native mesquite wood. But the headless guitars that I tried were not acoustic. And there's this, it turned out that in the long run I like headstocks--they have tradition and aesthetic.

LJ; I can see that I horrified you, but not willing to rest on past accomplishments I have even worse news. I smoke and I like it! And take this--I've had the same girl friend (actually a woman friend now) for over 50 years. And I do have only one house. Also, I only have one dog. There are other things I have only one of, but those remain unsaid lest I send you into a catatonic state. Hope this finds you well and in good spirits.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Just one? Hard to imagine.

Compare that with the ukulele world, in which you start with just one, but quickly find yourself with up to a dozen if you're not careful. Soprano, concert, tenor, high G, low G, resonator, banjo uke, and so forth. Of course good ukes can be had for as little as $300, so it's not quite the same level of investment.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I thought one acoustic and one electric was normal for a guitar player, until I got on internet forums. I knew there were luthiers who made guitars, but I wasn't tuned into the whole premise of tone woods, body sizes, nut widths, neck profiles, etc, etc... I'd try a guitar and if "it fit" and sounded good, it was a consideration.

Wait! You can tell a guitar maker what you like and they'll make it? What a concept! Fortunately, there were plenty of great options out there with production guitars. Then, I discovered the ease of care and great sound of carbon fiber. Knowing that these were made in a mould, I again figured you tried 'em 'till you found what fit. Then, I find this place and further discover people who not only have multiple guitars, they have multiple carbon fiber guitars!!??

And now, Evan with his "Hey, Alistair, can you make this?" adventures. My mind is blown!

Then, the "just one" concept? I don't think so.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Song;
For a brief moment I ran through a number of headless guitars and the ones you picture here are beautiful. I liked headless guitars enough to have taken it upon myself to make one from native mesquite wood. But the headless guitars that I tried were not acoustic. And there's this, it turned out that in the long run I like headstocks--they have tradition and aesthetic.
Yep you're right. Some do look cool. I said I won't buy headstocked but I may trade my strat for this:

Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM

While I'd really rather not be forced into that corner, if I had to be reduced to only one guitar it would be my 2001 original N1 neck Rainsong WS-1000. It does everything I want to do as a player, sounds great on stage, handles multiple tunings easily, and requires very little care.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:04 PM

After reading all this... Unc Evy is a wild man is what I take from it. Good reading though... gotta love this place.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

Mr. K;

I suspect that I could pass a cognitive test. And I've never been locked up, so I can't be too wild. But I will admit to a bit of wildness in my enthusiasm for carbon fiber guitars..

But nothing like the wildness of a guy who has 2000 carbon fiber guitars. Nothing like a guy who has people jump off his roof, with a cf guitar, into a swimming pool, and play underwater. I would call that way wild.

I suspect that I may be the kettle. And you may be the....???
Old 01-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I've got this one!! Kettle and... kettle of fish! Am I right? What did I win? Was I the first caller?? This is SO exciting - I never win anything! Well, there was that Fillet-O-Fish sandwich from McDonalds a couple years ago, but I'm not real keen on those... but the whole "kettle of fish" thing reminded me of that... I'm working on staying focused these days... oh, did you see those Emerald January Select Series cocobolos?? Pretty.

What was the question?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:47 PM

Not to feel too mercenary, but when you get a chance PM me descriptions of the guitars you are letting go. I am still kicking myself for missing out on the red nylon X20 you once had. Not sure I could afford to take one off your hands, but I am certainly interested depending on how events unfold.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I've got this one!! Kettle and... kettle of fish! Am I right? What did I win? Was I the first caller?? This is SO exciting - I never win anything! Well, there was that Fillet-O-Fish sandwich from McDonalds a couple years ago, but I'm not real keen on those... but the whole "kettle of fish" thing reminded me of that... I'm working on staying focused these days... oh, did you see those Emerald January Select Series cocobolos?? Pretty.

What was the question?
At first I thought... "Ill have whatever he is drinking/smoking.." But then thought I better not.. What question?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Guest 928

Captain; Sorry, you didn't win again.

Mot; I'm taking my time in considering the Only-one proposition. If and when I get ready to make the transition I'll be placing ads on the forum and letting everyone know.

Kramster; The question was, if I'm the kettle, what must you be? The Captain guessed fishy, which was not a bad guess. I'm thinking that where there's a kettle there's a pot. Feel free to have whatever you want to smoke or drink--I won't tell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber