The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Should have bought an X20....

Yup,,,, shoulda got one last year, cuz the prices seem to have gone up quite a bit since I last looked at the Emerald site.

Oh well, at least I got my luvverly li’l’ X7 in time,,,,

those 20’s look really nice though , I can still see one in my future, who needs to eat, or wear shoes ?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Try ordering a custom! Then the prices really go up!! (Although compared to a wood guitar custom still affordable.)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Jon, ol' buddy... that whole eating and wearing shoes thing is over-rated. Man cannot, well should not, live without making music. Yes, the X20 is a fine guitar. So is the X7. They really do compliment each other. I would not be one to tell you that you should get yourself an X20, but I'll darn sure be the guy to tell you: "DON'T swap off that X7 for getting your bottom scraped again!!"

Old 01-12-2018, 06:24 AM

Yes Jim, I’d have been really gutted if I’d left it ‘til now to replace my original X7.
It would now cost nearly three times what I let the old one go for.
(A very small part of the total boat re-furb cost as you can imagine. Just one week in dry dock would buy an X20 Opus.)

I have yet to touch an X20 but I somehow feel a deep need for one ...

Don’t tell the non-believers over in the general section, but my HD28V might be heading out the door to help finances and make room.
It is a really great one, but I don’t ever play it,
(I am lucky to own another , even “better” Martin dread with a 1.3/4” nut, which I’ve come to favour).

Oh, another thing ....... Man, those Savoys look nice !
Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Jon, we are in a good place with the carbon fiber options available currently. I understand the thought process about guitars that aren't getting played. Choices... decisions... choices... decisions.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Better get one now Jon before they go up again ! I'm still amazed at how good my X20 sounds every time I play it. I let a wonderful OM28 go after I got the X20....have not missed it. Good Luck to ya....
Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM

I noticed that prices went up sometime between Christmas and the New Year (wasn't paying close attention). But annual price changes are normal for most manufacturers. For example, the price of my Blackbird Lucky 13 jumped $150 from one year to the next, making me wish I had ordered it sooner rather than waiting. Ces't la vie......

The Opus version is still less expensive - and delivers quicker, often being in stock to ship right away.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Better get one now Jon before they go up again ! .
Yes I heard they aren't making anymore carbon
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Yes I heard they aren't making anymore carbon
When the last carbon has disappeared from the plains you’ll be sorry that your selfish gas made you hunt them to extinction.

(Hope this doesn’t break the rules, but I feel very passionate about this )
Old 01-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Guest 928

LJ;

Lo siento, I feel your pain. On the other hand, Ekoa may be a superior, bio gradable medium. But keep up the good passion.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
When the last carbon has disappeared from the plains you’ll be sorry that your selfish gas made you hunt them to extinction.

Not being in a land with plains, I can understand your misplaced passion. Organizations like PECI (Playing Ethically Cool Instruments) have assured us that there will be carbons galore for many generations to come. So, enjoy your X7. Add an X20. In fact, to paraphrase the philosophers Tumbuk 3: "When it comes to carbon fiber, the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades."

It's all good.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

Not to worry - don't spread this around but up here in the desolate frozen plains of New Hampshire, in addition to my seed bank of rare and disappearing tonewood species like Brazilian and Madagascar rosewoods, Ziricote, Cocobolo, Bubinga, Ebony and increasingly rare and coveted Martin 'Genuine Mahogany', I have a small but robust herd of Carbon's roaming the back 40 out of sight. Enough to repopulate should our worst fears be realized.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Good thing I am stocking up on said CF and eKoa... just case any of this and more happen.... just planin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber