The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up NGD: Savoy

Hello Everyone

This is a late review but thought people may be interested. Received my Savoy the Friday before New Years and had some time with it. There has been a number of EXCELLENT in depth review already so will just touch on some differences in the evolution of Savoy's development.

* Fit and finish has really evolved since my initial playing last 3/17 prototype.
* The addition of single direction eko for back and sides gives the guitar a beautiful dark wood like finish. This is NO easy task given all the bends and heal-less neck.
* The back sides and neck have a beautiful dark wood and shiney appearance on par with any high end guitar on the market.
* Frett board integration with the neck and the fret dressing are beautiful and again on par with any high end acoustic guitars in the market.
* In the past the appearance of ekoa had this rustic weave look that was slightly dull or statin in appearance. Somehow the weave at least on my guitar is generally very uniform... I can not tell if this is just my guitar or the process for weaving the fabric has evolved and producing a very wood like appearance.
* The oval sound hole looks very integrated in the form of the guitar and provides wonderful bass and feedback to the player.

There has been a lot reviews on sound and they are all correct. This is a great sounding guitar. I took the guitar down to my local friendly guitar shop to share and we compared to a number of taylor and martin OM... well above expectations for this size guitar and it held its own in terms of volume and mid-range sound.

Joe also did a great job integrating K&K pickup as well and had no problem dial in this guitar plugged in.

This is a great guitar regardless of wood or CF. This is a breakout hit for Joe!!!

Also special thank you to Ted in his help making the purchase process & options easy.

Can't wait for the captain to appear some time in Q1.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Guest 928

Very nice review! It comports well with previous reports and is descriptive in a number of ways. I particular like the discussion regarding the weave--I had no idea such a thing was possible. I was also taken by the attention given the heal-less neck. Thank you.

And so, what have you done for us recently--any pictures?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM

Cool... another Club Savoy member!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-10-2018, 05:40 PM

From all I've read and seen on the net these are going to be the premier composite guitar for the future! I think Joe has really hit a homer with these, not only a totally new material but sound and style to match it. Have yet to see a bad review on one. American innovation at it's best!
Think I am going to hold off with any future purchases until I can swing one of the Savoys myself, tired of getting and selling, want a long term keeper and it looks like these are the ones.
Really like the new burst on this guitar, adds a touch of class for sure.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar! I'll add my voice to the choir that would like to see some photos, especially the oval soundhole. Are you talking about the center soundhole or the sound port on the side? OK, and the weave. And - did you get the shaded edge?

Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Guest 928

I'm thinking that one of these days Joe will be doing a nylon string version. I'm looking forward to that day.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-12-2018 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And so, what have you done for us recently--any pictures?
Sorry guys.. I know I am letting you down but I just can't bring myself to join one of those "picture" social networks to share pictures of my guitars. If I could .. I know .. sounding old and grumpy....just attach them to a post would gladly do. The below stock pictures do a good job showing the unidirectional weave and the oval sound port.

Hope this helps ...

Chris
Old 01-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Think I am going to hold off with any future purchases until I can swing one of the Savoys myself, tired of getting and selling, want a long term keeper and it looks like these are the ones.
Really like the new burst on this guitar, adds a touch of class for sure.
Hi Jerry,

This is kind of how I got here with the Savoy and on the way el Captain. I have gone through a wonderful journey with Evan and the group here over the years. I have owned at least one guitar from all the CF brands. There is something nice about the familiar feel of a guitar that you struggled with over the years . To me... the guitar, the designer Joe and Ted from a sales perspective were the perfect intersection of skills to make this happen for me. And lets not forget you all bringing this guitar(s) to my attention. To me this guitar is the perfect intersection of tradition and technology and has a more organic feeling both in sound, sight and touch. I no longer miss my Martin OM. Everyone is different and look forward to hearing about you and everyone's journey.

BTW... I did think about upgrading to the burst but when I saw the fit in finish of the natural I am glad that I did not. The finish is no longer flat on the neck, sides and back almost a semi gloss which gives it a high quality look and feel. Hard to express and see in photos...

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Sorry guys.. I know I am letting you down but I just can't bring myself to join one of those "picture" social networks to share pictures of my guitars. If I could .. I know .. sounding old and grumpy....just attach them to a post would gladly do. The below stock pictures do a good job showing the unidirectional weave and the oval sound port.

Hope this helps ...

Chris
Chris, you likely know but in case not, one of the benefits of becoming a charter member @ $25/yr is the ability to upload pics directly to your posts. Just thought I’d mention it.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Jerry,

This is kind of how I got here with the Savoy and on the way el Captain. I have gone through a wonderful journey with Evan and the group here over the years. I have owned at least one guitar from all the CF brands. There is something nice about the familiar feel of a guitar that you struggled with over the years . To me... the guitar, the designer Joe and Ted from a sales perspective were the perfect intersection of skills to make this happen for me. And lets not forget you all bringing this guitar(s) to my attention. To me this guitar is the perfect intersection of tradition and technology and has a more organic feeling both in sound, sight and touch. I no longer miss my Martin OM. Everyone is different and look forward to hearing about you and everyone's journey.

BTW... I did think about upgrading to the burst but when I saw the fit in finish of the natural I am glad that I did not. The finish is no longer flat on the neck, sides and back almost a semi gloss which gives it a high quality look and feel. Hard to express and see in photos...
Do you happen to know when Blackbird started applying a semi-gloss rather than satin?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Guest 928

Thanks for the picture. It and the review make the guitar almost irresistible. Joe is a philosopher/king--has vision and acts on it. I would say the same about Ashvin and Alistair. It is both cool and maddening to have so many great options emerge within the same time line.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Chris, you likely know but in case not, one of the benefits of becoming a charter member @ $25/yr is the ability to upload pics directly to your posts. Just thought I’d mention it.
Tom,

Thanks.. did not know... will officially join today!!!! It is the least I could do to be one of the coool kids.

Chris
Old 01-11-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Do you happen to know when Blackbird started applying a semi-gloss rather than satin?
Good question.. I raised this with Joe because I was a little taken back by the lack of a satin neck which has been a hallmark of prior blackbirds I owned. I adjusted easily given the beautiful appearance of the guitar. He said that it is just the mold breaking in and the shine was just an outcome of the mold. It is not a new finish or anything. I kind of think of it like good leather that takes some breaking in :-).
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm thinking that one of these days Joe will be doing a nylon string version..
As soon as enough people show interest, I'm sure he will.

C, I am so happy you like your Savoy. Use it in good health..

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-12-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your Savoy! I recently got the one that I purchased back in a trade from the person who I sold it to in Nov. I feel very lucky to have re-acquired it. Should have never sold it in the first place. Savoys are amazing. It will be with me hopefully forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber