The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Only in the 70s here...Brrrrrr
Yeah... what's the low there tonight? (Hint: the answer is 41º) Like almost every winter night in the desert. Typically, our daytime high in January is 70º, with less than a 10º temperature swing from day to night... most of the time. Then, one of these northers blows in and drops our temps for a couple days; supposed to be back to the 70s on Saturday.

I knew I had found my "happy place" here when we came down from the frozen northland a couple decades ago and the neighbor had a holiday decoration out: a snow-shovel leaning on a palm treee with the image of Santa painted on the shovel and "Hell, no! No snow!"

Neither the local building supply place nor the hardware store sells snow shovels.

When we picked up mail today, there was a guy coming out wearing a windbreaker and shorts... "You're from up north, aren't ya?"

To bring this kinda back on-topic: my CF guitars don't care about the weather.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

In my neck of the woods in Canada, we’re sitting at -13F with a wind chill of -26F. I stepped outside and almost turned into a lawn (with 2’ of snow on it) ornament...got back inside just before I became completely solid. Luckily, in a little over a week, we head to our place in SW Florida until the end of April.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
In my neck of the woods in Canada, we’re sitting at -13F with a wind chill of -26F. I stepped outside and almost turned into a lawn (with 2’ of snow on it) ornament...got back inside just before I became completely solid. Luckily, in a little over a week, we head to our place in SW Florida until the end of April.
There is a difference between a lawn ornament and... an ice sculpture! Sending warm wishes your way, until you get to Florida - then you can "pay it forward."

Old 12-28-2017, 11:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Haha, true. Thanks Jim!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I got my RainSong out today. It hasn't been out of its case in almost a year. Joan and I both said the same thing when I opened the case: "Oh, I almost forgot how pretty this is!"

Considering a trade, so I need to take some current photos. The guitar was still in tune. I put on a fresh set of Elixir PB Nanowebs... yep, that sounds good... definitely a different tone from either of my Emeralds. I appreciate how they can sound different from each other, but still be a great sound.

A look at the Shorty...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

A couple years ago, I lent the guitar to a friend of a friend where we played together. Of course, no good deed goes unpunished... the friend was a bit heavy-handed and left a couple marks on the top. Oh, nothing that jumps out at you, but I saw it. There is another thread here about a CF guitar that apparently has a warped top... these guitars are stable, but they aren't bullet-proof.

I am at the max in my guitar room, before getting the Shorty out. I think one of the wood ones will have to go back in the case.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:40 PM

A max in a guitar room? How can that be? You can always get one more in there I would guess.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A max in a guitar room? How can that be? You can always get one more in there I would guess.
I am assuming you aren't a married guy. Compromise is important in a relationship... I currently have more guitars than at any other time in my life. My lovely wife has always been encouraging in regards to my guitar acquisitions. Today, she even suggested we get a couple more wall hangers, to support getting more out of their cases.

You don't stay married 45 years by being a dummy. She is more concerned about clutter than the number of guitars. She hasn't said that, but... read the first sentence in this paragraph again. From my perspective, it is better to have a few in cases than to have the room (it really is a small room) feeling crowded. And (most importantly), best to have a happy wife. While we all here know that I am quite a catch, the fact is this Blonde could have done a lot better, and I'd be a fool to mess that up (ref: the first sentence in this paragraph once again).

Now, I know you were just kidding. Or, if not, you have a bigger house, have guitars all over that house, and a significant other (or not) who is OK with that. It is only 5 years now that I've even had a "guitar room." I'm giddy with the situation.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

For full disclosure: the 814 went back in the case for a while.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

I admire your sensitivity and your slyness.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

I admire your sensitivity and your slyness.
It is possible to have both. Some might say: considerate... while knowing when to avoid conflict (Or - pick your battles).
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It is possible to have both. Some might say: considerate... while knowing when to avoid conflict (Or - pick your battles).
Some battles are worth fighting. Even though I lose quite a few of them.
It's those moments of de'tente that usually bring purchase freedom!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 AM

Sometimes it would have been for the better to have someone helping me curb my purchasing ... maybe in my next life
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Sometimes it would have been for the better to have someone helping me curb my purchasing ... maybe in my next life

I actually have some guitar friends with whom we have loose support group. We try to be objective with each other and help mitigate the rationalized GAS purchases. It works sometimes. It’s less about policing each other as it is being honest and saying: “Dave, you said last week you were really happy with X, why do you want Y now?” I reply “Shucks.” Credit card back in wallet.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
A "300 post limit" on any given thread? Maybe that's why there are so many "Guitar Center is tanking" and "My Martin can beat up your (insert any other guitar brand here)" threads here on the main forum - those would go over 300 posts in just a few days.

I've enjoyed the conversations that have come up on the "Sophie's Choice" thread I started way back when, and offer my thanks for those who participated. Like my life, it wandered about a bit, but I did make some effort to bring it back to carbon fiber guitars now and then.

Happy Holiday wishes to the good folks here!

Jim
Hmmm...Has anyone noticed that that post was #301?

Since this is over the "count" I suspect either a counting error, or, (gasp) VOTER FRAUD!!! Let's demand a recount to make this a little more transparent...lol...

Happy New Year Guys & Gals!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-02-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Deleted personal reference
Old 01-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Hmmm...Has anyone noticed that that post was #301?

Since this is over the "count" I suspect either a counting error, or, (gasp) VOTER FRAUD!!! Let's demand a recount to make this a little more transparent...lol...

Happy New Year Guys & Gals!!!
I'm going with "close enough for rock 'n roll."

I saw your post regarding Evan's soon to arrive nylon electric - I believed it right up to the point of "Alistair and Sean are afraid..." Yes, we are all aware that Evan can be a mean motorscooter, but... Irish. Being of Irish descent, I'm here to tell you... well let me relate a day in my youth: I was having some sort of disagreement with a neighborhood kid. He called me a name (SOB). I didn't know what it meant, but I knew it was naughty. I later mentioned it to my Mother. She said, "You go out there and punch him in the face - he insulted your Mother!" Hey, the kid and I were over it, but you don't mess with an angry Irish woman.

You also don't mess with an Irishman's labor, especially when it is a labor of love. I would pop for the $19.99 to see Evan's guitar, but you will probably be in some sort of Pirate Protection Program and not have internet.

-----------

On a different note: yucky weather. I'm not going out in that crap. Making some more music...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/g...u-into-my-life

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-02-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber