The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
Hmm... that's a good idea, playing with only the remaining 6 strings. I'll check the total tension on the string package as well. As this bridge is like a Breedlove , it might behave differently than the regular bayonet bridge that Thomas usually uses.

On a different note, Earl, we're pouring the foundation (finally!) tomorrow. With wall thicknesses and property regs and such, we have the main room down to 13 feet wide by 17 long with 14.5 foot vaulted ceiling. The length is altered at the 17 foot mark by a wall with an open loft that extends another 6 feet at the same ceiling height. It has two Queen's posts for the ceiling braces on which I can place acoustic absorption panels if needed. One wall will be acoustic absorption (1 inch acoustic insulation inside a wooden frame wrapped in fabric), while the opposite wall will be a redwood diffuser wall. We'll see what kind of sound I can get out of it!
Holy mackerel, man you’re going all out! Good for you! Those beautiful guitars are lucky to have such a home. If you’re willing, please post pics of your space when it’s done.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Kray, a non-cubic or non-rectilinear shape will go farther for good small room acoustics than adding acoustical panels. Think of anything you add later as a Band-Aid to fix an underlying problem that was not avoided. Non-parallel surfaces that avoid integer room dimension ratios (1:1:1 being the worst of all) as much as possible are your best bet. Room shape is the "macro" picture. After that it is a matter of "micro" adjustments as needed using absorptive panels, diffusers, etc.

(For those of you who may be puzzled by the sidebar, Kray and I have briefly communicated off-line about his studio space. My day job is as an acoustical engineer, and I have designed many studios and other buildings over the last 34 years).
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM

No parallel walls.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 PM

Well, I didn't have the money to try and build anything other than some version of a box, so I tried to make it as far away from 1:1:1 as I could get. The loft, the hallway leading back to the bathroom door, and the vaulted ceiling will help some, tho' not as much as designing some seriously asymmetrical weirdness, which would have been fun! The overall structure itself is 14 x 22 with the ceiling angle beginning at 8 feet (I think...)

Acousticado - yah, I will post pics when it's all done. There was originally a shed in the backyard built in the 50s made of old growth redwood. I took that apart board by board (and spider by spider) and saved as much of it as I could for the trim and one wall and such. Ray Bradbury said "Go to the edge and jump and build your wings on the way dawn". I used to make a living playing music but woke up one morning and was a single Dad. So the last 20 years have been Dadhood (which I wouldn't trade for anything) but last year everything converged at the same time so I quit the day job, moved down to California from Alaska, and am building the studio and touring to play music full-time again.

My Dad says he goes out onto the porch every morning to listen to me screaming "Where are my wings?! Where are my wings?!"

:-p
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Well, I didn't have the money to try and build anything other than some version of a box, so I tried to make it as far away from 1:1:1 as I could get. The loft, the hallway leading back to the bathroom door, and the vaulted ceiling will help some, tho' not as much as designing some seriously asymmetrical weirdness, which would have been fun! The overall structure itself is 14 x 22 with the ceiling angle beginning at 8 feet (I think...)

Acousticado - yah, I will post pics when it's all done. There was originally a shed in the backyard built in the 50s made of old growth redwood. I took that apart board by board (and spider by spider) and saved as much of it as I could for the trim and one wall and such. Ray Bradbury said "Go to the edge and jump and build your wings on the way dawn". I used to make a living playing music but woke up one morning and was a single Dad. So the last 20 years have been Dadhood (which I wouldn't trade for anything) but last year everything converged at the same time so I quit the day job, moved down to California from Alaska, and am building the studio and touring to play music full-time again.

My Dad says he goes out onto the porch every morning to listen to me screaming "Where are my wings?! Where are my wings?!"

:-p
Haha! Seems like you’ve paid your dues and are about to re-realize your dream. Good on ya!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Wondering if there is anybody in the Florida area with an emerald 12 who could attend you show in January to compare the sounds.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 PM

Oh, I'd love that, Doc!! The show is the Southwest Florida Folk Festival, in Ft. Lauderdale... anyone there or maybe Miami play an X20 or an X20-12? I'm bringing both the 6 and 12 Leviora with me on that trip.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
both the 6 and 12 Leviora with me on that trip.
Over $10,000 worth of string holders...yikes ...and cool.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Interesting. It will be great if there is a chance for comparing Leviora guitar with Mcpherson Sable too. Looks like many great reviews around.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:40 AM

I played a Sable in Nashville earlier this year. I was extraordinarily taken with the bass response - just about had a fit in the little playing room at Gruhn Guitars. But the bass was offset by a reduction in treble response (it'd be nice to actually measure the treble volume instead of just 'relative' to the bass). The Leviora is more even in the bass/treble distribution to my ear, though experimenting with some heavier bass strings might be really interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber