The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Smile Full Sized McPherson Kevin Michael

Now that the Sable models have shipped and been sold to quite a few people, I'd love to hear some reviews on them. I'm still ready for the 16" wide MG sized version of a Kevin Michael guitar. I chatted with McPherson and as of now there are still no plans to release their original 16" wide body size in Carbon Fiber. When they do I'm on it!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I think you might find it a little heavy. I love the Sable as it really has the McPherson vibe, feel, balance and tone. Feels about as heavy as my former MG 5.0 in a much smaller body.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Here I am still wondering if we'll see a 16" wide MG sized Kevin Michael guitar at Winter NAMM. Anyone in the know?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Here I am still wondering if we'll see a 16" wide MG sized Kevin Michael guitar at Winter NAMM. Anyone in the know?
I don't believe there are any plans to add more models at this time, but I will be at the McPherson NAMM booth next Thursday and will ask.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I don't believe there are any plans to add more models at this time, but I will be at the McPherson NAMM booth next Thursday and will ask.
Thank You Ted I'll be purchasing one at some point if they release it. I'm hoping for the 4.5 or 5.0 size.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 PM

My pleasure, Bobby.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I was disappointed to see no new MG CF model at Summer NAMM. Maybe Winter 2018. I can wait patiently!!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 AM

They are such a small ship that I am sure they want to establish their place in the CF market and get some good revenue rolling in from the two existing models before they commit the resources for new molds, tools, etc for different body sizes. I'm waiting on my Sable now. Can't wait to get it!

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

With NAMM approaching I'm wondering will this be the year!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I will be at the McPherson NAMM booth next Thursday and will ask.
Really? You are magical
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-05-2018, 08:30 AM

@ SuperB23- I've had my Sable now for a couple of months. I posted some feedback early on which was critical of the tone of the guitar, I found it overly bright. A few months on and my opinion is more refined. I have replaced the factory Elixir strings with Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings which I find more pleasant. I am also new to the guitar so each month the goes by I am able to get more from the instrument. The sound I originally described as bright is softened with the change in strings. I would also now describe the sound as complex (maybe due to harmonics). Since my purchase, I have had the chance to hear the Sable in the same setting as some higher end Taylors and Martins. I wouldn't go so far as to say the CF sounded just like the wood guitars, it sounds different but it is a sound that I have come to find as pleasing as the nice wood guitars (I didn't hear the Martin and rush to sell my Sable)

Some of my initial impressions remain unchanged. I think the neck has a great profile. As I have started to learn some basic fingerstyle, I have come to appreciate the string spacing which seems nicely balanced for many different playing styles. When I go guitar school and use the school guitars I usually flub around for a good 10 min getting used to closer string spacing. Of course as I expect is the case with all CF guitars, it has been great especially with the cold weather in the NE this past week to just pull the guitar off the wall and start playing. The guitar tends to stay in tune regardless of temperature or humidity.

I am pleased with my purchase and expect I will continue to get more from the instrument as my skills improve. As a novice player my comments probably aren't too useful but these are my two cents.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobrick View Post
@ SuperB23- I've had my Sable now for a couple of months. I posted some feedback early on which was critical of the tone of the guitar, I found it overly bright. A few months on and my opinion is more refined. I have replaced the factory Elixir strings with Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum strings which I find more pleasant. I am also new to the guitar so each month the goes by I am able to get more from the instrument. The sound I originally described as bright is softened with the change in strings. I would also now describe the sound as complex (maybe due to harmonics). Since my purchase, I have had the chance to hear the Sable in the same setting as some higher end Taylors and Martins. I wouldn't go so far as to say the CF sounded just like the wood guitars, it sounds different but it is a sound that I have come to find as pleasing as the nice wood guitars (I didn't hear the Martin and rush to sell my Sable)

Some of my initial impressions remain unchanged. I think the neck has a great profile. As I have started to learn some basic fingerstyle, I have come to appreciate the string spacing which seems nicely balanced for many different playing styles. When I go guitar school and use the school guitars I usually flub around for a good 10 min getting used to closer string spacing. Of course as I expect is the case with all CF guitars, it has been great especially with the cold weather in the NE this past week to just pull the guitar off the wall and start playing. The guitar tends to stay in tune regardless of temperature or humidity.

I am pleased with my purchase and expect I will continue to get more from the instrument as my skills improve. As a novice player my comments probably aren't too useful but these are my two cents.
Au contraire - as an owner, your comments are useful and welcome. I think our ears learn to like what we play, if it is an instrument we stay with for a while. You may be a self-described novice, but you certainly picked a nice guitar. Good to have you aboard.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Au contraire - as an owner, your comments are useful and welcome. I think our ears learn to like what we play, if it is an instrument we stay with for a while. You may be a self-described novice, but you certainly picked a nice guitar. Good to have you aboard.
I agree with the Captain's comments here - all opinions welcome. As an actual owner, regardless of your abilities, you still can provide valuable input to the Sable.

For instance, I'm interested in the actual weight of this guitar since I have now heard it described as being 'heavy' on more than one occasion. If you have the ability, can you weigh it and let us know? I know I have to do the me on the bathroom scale with and without the guitar and subtract to get a guitar's weight!

SuperB23 - I'll admit when I saw this post originally I was quite excited as I immediately thought, "Ooo! Another awesome SuperB23 video review!!" only to find out you were just looking for input!
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 AM

@Methos1979. Bathroom scale method 5.6 pounds. According to McPherson's website, 5.4 lbs. Size-wise I think the guitar is close to a Martin OM/OOO. Compared to a Martin OM the Sable is longer by about 2 inches 41 3/4 vs 39 13/16. The Sable body is 20 in vs 19 3/8. Based on your x20 report, the Martin is around 4lbs depending on wood type, so fairly big difference vs the Sable on a percentage basis. The Sable has about a half pound on your x20 based on your 4.8lb weigh-in.

The Sable's weight is in the body so I find on my lap the guitar settles nicely and neck naturally raises to my fretting hand. I don't find the weight an issue. If I played standing maybe it would be a different story but a Gibson Les Paul is north of 9 lbs, so in comparison, the Sable is far from heavy.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:00 PM

It is definitely heavy for a CF guitar but not noticeably heavier than my wood guitars. I consider it “substantial”. It is a tank of a guitar for sure, whereas my Rainsong was so light the gig bag felt empty.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber