The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Or:

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 AM

Good I don't play well enough to notice on a beach in Mexico with a Mojito next to me or in my hotel room in Nigeria after returning from a bar at 2 a.m. that there is something wrong with the action on my Cargo.

Hands down, taking together EVERYTHING, (playability, size, cost, tone, appointments, durability, susceptibility to temperature and humidity changes ...) the CA Cargo is one of the best musical instruments ever.

This is not intended as a provocation, but it will be for some.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM

As an owner of 3 CA guitars (Vintage Performer, Xi, Cargo), I'm very excited to hear this news. I don't know how many more acoustic guitars I "need", but I still want to have options. I'm very curious to see what Peavey does with the lineup.

I won't argue any of the issues brought up here. I'm perfectly happy with my CAs and my Rainsong jumbo 12-string as they are. I can understand why some players would want a truss rod, but I have to admit that I'm kind of glad I don't have to worry about making any adjustments. I don't know much about things like neck angle. My Cargo did need some setup work, but I'm quite happy with how it plays now.

Should they offer truss rods? Unless it's cost prohibitive, I would suggest they should. Also, if the neck angle can be improved without causing any issues, I guess it makes sense to do that, too. My first thought, though, is that they should probably leave things alone while they re-establish the brand. After that is done, it would probably make sense to consider tweaking the design(s) to address these issues.

What about the name? CA or Peavey? I would prefer that they retain the CA name unless they are going to make drastic changes to the product line. When I go to Peavey.com, I do notice some other brands, such as Trace Elliot, listed there. If they didn't feel the need to change those names, maybe they'll keep the Composite Acoustics moniker.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Kram, is this for real, or are you up to your graphics manipulation antics again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post

Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Maybe. I plead the 5th String. (Did I get out of it?)
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Maybe. I plead the 5th String. (Did I get out of it?)
Eh, err, "A"? No.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
You're right.

The epoxy-laden carbon fiber material is laid out over the outside of the mold.

P.S. Thanks, Rick.

(and thanks, Tony)

Actually it goes INSIDE the mold. They used the aluminum male mold ("plug") to make multiple female shells or molds that they they put the cloth and resin inside of. From the videos it looked as if these shells might have been somewhat flexible (unlike the original aluminum plug) and I've always felt that that was probably the cause of the inconsistent results they had.

But hey, I wasn't there either.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Good points Steve.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
Actually it goes INSIDE the mold. They used the aluminum male mold ("plug") to make multiple female shells or molds that they they put the cloth and resin inside of. From the videos it looked as if these shells might have been somewhat flexible (unlike the original aluminum plug) and I've always felt that that was probably the cause of the inconsistent results they had.

But hey, I wasn't there either.
I sit corrected on that.

Thanks.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM

I saw those videos as well and could be a way to modify some in there as they apply the layers .... thicker or thinner... add another material in the mix to experiment.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 PM

I spoke to the Peavey rep handling the CA account and Iwas told they will offer all models, prices will remain the same "for now", and as for finishes we will see high gloss first than RT. (no decision on a RAW finish yet) They are hoping to get the guitars to dealers by the end of the year. As for warranting the older guitars, the indication is that they will cover them but nothing is set in stone as of yet.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 07-23-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM

Well I think it is wonderful CA is returning. I owned a great Bluegrass Performer which I sold on this forum to purchase a CA OX which I love. I for one hope they do not put a truss rod in their guitars. I do not need it or want it. My neck angle has been perfect for me. It is one less thing to go wrong, and just one more thing to add cost too. I dont claim to know anything about anything other than my CA's had been great guitars, and am hoping that Peavey continues to produce them. I do also hope that they offer them at the same reasonable prices, and they do not end up a boutique guitar label that many of us cant afford. To me they were always a boutique guitar that was available at a reasonable price. That was not a commone thing.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Good stuff Tarpman... would be above and beyond to honor the warrantees.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I sit corrected on that.

Thanks.

Larry, I certainly understand your frustration with the Cargo. Here is an amazing travel guitar that is considered a "must have" by most of us and you can't make it work for you. I'm afraid those looking for a carbon travel guitar with perfect intonation and adjustable truss rod will need to look elsewhere but for the rest of us playing cowboy chords around the campfire the Cargo will do just fine.

BTW, I know very little of guitar construction but I do know how to sell them. From April of 2009 to December of 2009 I sold about 200 CA's (that's about five times what other dealers were able to sell) and I can only recall one or two complaints. Had I bought CA, and I did think about it, I would have made no changes to the design especially the Cargo. Will Peavey think about making some improvements? I'm sure they will. Are any needed to sell guitars now? Absolutely not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber