The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Default Yay!

Really glad to hear CA is still going to live! IMHO they should continue to use the CA name as it was a name known for making Excellent Composite/Graphite Guitars. It will just be another entity owned and controlled fully by Peavey.

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM

Default Should they stay CA?

For the few who know anything about carbon fibre guitars I think that CA has a good name for high quality, innovative guitars, but as I stated before, the name CA hardly is a 'stick to the ribs' kind of name. I have people ask what kind of guitar I have and I know that my response of "CA" probably won't stay with them for over 5 minutes. Ellis Seal designed these guitars and it would have better been named a Seal, or CAT (I heard Composite Acoustic Technologies was the full name of the company). To me, the lack of a good brand name was the first of their marketing errors.
CA Legacy Performer cutaway
Martin D28S 1970
Martin HD28VR custom shop
Seagull 12 string

amp Fender Acoustisonic SFX II
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsinned View Post
For the few who know anything about carbon fibre guitars I think that CA has a good name for high quality, innovative guitars, but as I stated before, the name CA hardly is a 'stick to the ribs' kind of name. I have people ask what kind of guitar I have and I know that my response of "CA" probably won't stay with them for over 5 minutes. Ellis Seal designed these guitars and it would have better been named a Seal, or CAT (I heard Composite Acoustic Technologies was the full name of the company). To me, the lack of a good brand name was the first of their marketing errors.
I love CAs and I have to agree.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM

excerpted from my earlier post ...

<<< I am happy to see CA coming back .... I wish it happened a little sooner for the sake of the brand. I like the "CA" brand, by the way, as opposed to "Composite Acoustics." It didn't matter to me what the company called itself as a dba, but I felt strongly about not going to market under those 2 words. To me it sounded more like a styrofoam factory in the hood than an innovative guitar manufacturer. >>>

I agree with you guys on the name. By the time I arrived (to CA), that goose was already cooked. CA as a brand name wasn't ideal, but I liked it much better than Composite Acoustics.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 08-05-2010, 12:44 PM

The biggest problem with "Composite Acoustics" is that it seems more like a description than a name. More than once I've had a conversation that went something like this:

"Is that one of those composite guitars?"
"Yes, it's a Composite Acoustics."
"What's it called, RainSong or something like that?"
"No, RainSong is a different composite guitar. This is a Composite Acoustics guitar?"
"But who makes it?"

I'd have to say that I prefer CA, also.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 PM

I don't especially like the "CA" name -- that's what a lot of people call Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylate).

And you need something searchable on eBay. I think Peavey should rebrand them.

BulletProof? NoWorries? Carbonita.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 08-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I don't especially like the "CA" name -- that's what a lot of people call Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylate).

And you need something searchable on eBay. I think Peavey should rebrand them.

BulletProof? NoWorries? Carbonita.

I think "Datsun" is available.

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

How about CACA, since it is the "second coming" of CA Guitars.

Oops, guess I was never meant to be in marketing...

Tony
Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Well, yeah, I agree...I wasn't sure how to respond to that part of things...not to mention how dealers may have been burned by CA, and this being mentioned now, here.

Personally, I am less interested in "dirt," and more interested in good guitars.
Dealers getting shafted is a part of this topic, more so than a truss rod in my opinion. The week after CA shut down, McNicols sold off all of their CA's at cost, and so did a lot of other dealers. Mike only had about fifteen guitars listed so his loss was only about $10,000 but I'm sure it was substantial for Mike..
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff M;2293161]Yep. There are.
Or, more accurately, optimal neck angle and saddle height on new guitars which allow the player enough saddle to lower the action if they so choose to do so at time of purchase, not to mention lowering it over the years as the neck angle changes with guitar aging.

From Frets.com;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...neckangle.html

And from William Cumpiaon;
http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Newslet...wsletter3.html

The so called neck angle on my HG Cargo is exactly as the FRETS setup shows. the top of the frets hits the top of the bridge with a straight edge.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelor View Post
Dealers getting shafted is a part of this topic, more so than a truss rod in my opinion. The week after CA shut down, McNicols sold off all of their CA's at cost, and so did a lot of other dealers. Mike only had about fifteen guitars listed so his loss was only about $10,000 but I'm sure it was substantial for Mike..
How does selling at cost create a loss? If Mike sold a bunch of CA's at cost, he didn't make any money but probably didn't lose any, either (except normal overhead costs).

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 08-07-2010, 01:50 AM

Michael made a business decision and didn't want the risk of carrying the inventory. I think you are right he didn't loose but businesses are not in business to break even. Some dealers actually upped prices. On some models that was possible. It was surprising how quickly they went out.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Default Defense of neck angle

I have 3 CA's. Bought in 2010. All high glossers. OX, Cargo, TOB Legacy.
All the neck angles are fine. The top of frets are straight with the top of the bridge plate. Break angle is ok. I guess CA may have had some early issues I dont know but mine are fine. I set mine up more like a factory Martin so I'm not looking for how low you can go. There is a very slight neck relief in all of them. Less in the Cargo. I do not ever foresee needing a truss rod. Never. I also do not foresee ever putting medium gauge strings on any of them and for sure not on a Cargo. Like to wish Peavy all the best with their new venture. Hope they keep up with the CA quality. The design patents alone are worth the price they paid for the CA equipment. (I might add I would have NEVER purchased any of these guitars and I have a considerable investment here if they had a 1 11/16 size neck)

Last edited by califblues; 08-07-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:30 AM

You and I bought at the right time. The irony was that they were really stressing quality control at the end, putting in cards in the cases with the setup measurements and a phone number with the name of the setup person if you had an issue. I think these cards started during 2009. Mine was right on as well, built Sept. 22, 2009.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Default 1 11/16 vs 1 3/4

(I might add I would have NEVER purchased any of these guitars and I have a considerable investment here if they had a 1 11/16 size neck)[/QUOTE]

I said that they might have made a mistake totally dropping the 1 11/16. I am also a big proponent of the 1 3/4 neck and asked for it while visiting the old factory. They said that they had gotten many such requests. I wonder if anybody feels they lost a substantial portion of the market by not offering the smaller neck. Also, as I contemplated the name game, SEAL could have been a really good one with the Leopard, Gray, Elephant etc. as models.
CA Legacy Performer cutaway
Martin D28S 1970
Martin HD28VR custom shop
Seagull 12 string

amp Fender Acoustisonic SFX II

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber