The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Default Two guitars I will probably never play

Two guitar intrigue me and I will probably never play one? Blackbird El Capitan and the new full size Kevin Michael. I'm retired in a great small college town in Ohio. My only chance is one heck of a road trip! Their cost makes it very difficult to buy without it being in my hands.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 01-28-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Anticipation Junkie

A road trip for such guitars sure would be nice. You hinting for one? There's only one guy I can think of who could offer it (and I'm not referring to Michael Stone) . Having said this, the two guits you mention are high price...did the MacNichol road trips offer guitars of such value? I think that's a big, understandable obstacle.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 AM

Since I was interested in a Lucky 13 last year and have never been able to play one, I spoke directly with the owner (Joe) of Blackbird. They have a two-week trial period if you are prepared to cover shipping both ways. Fair warning though - he said that only about 1% of the guitars they send out for trial ever come back.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Guest 928

Tom;

If I remember correctly, Michael did a road trip for the expensive CF guitar from Germany.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tom;

If I remember correctly, Michael did a road trip for the expensive CF guitar from Germany.
Ah yes, I now remember, Evan. A Leviora, I believe. I think it's one thing for a builder to offer a road trip such as a number did channeled through MacNichol, and which Emerald is about to do on its own, but it's another for a retailer to offer independent of the builder. Other than Emerald, a generous try and return policy such as mentioned about Blackbird is likely as close as we'll get.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM

Michael Stone's idea regarding getting rare CF instruments into the hands of consumers is brilliant, in my opinion an idea so good every CF manufacturer should take note of. There should be a write off of every make and model, of which instruments are used solely for road trip purposes. The models could then be sold at steep discounts to consumers upon their return to the dealer, or returned models could be sold to dealers from manufacturers at similar discounts.

I don't think most are willing to purchase these CF guitars sight unseen or heard, especially factoring in their price points. The consumer is willing to pay the road trip fees to participate and can then order the model of choice new once a decision has been made.

Maybe there just isn't a strong enough market? Im just imagining the power of word of mouth when a guitar sitting at someones home not only wows the road trip participant, but also friends and family.

CF enthusiasts can then make informed buying decisions, those out of the loop can discover CF= more instruments sold?
Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM

Alastair too says he's only ever had 2 returned and, as World wide postage is included in the price you only need to factor in the return postage which would not be stupidly expensive when it comes to buying a $1500+ instrument. Especially the odds on you wanting to return it are statistically pretty small and most on here would say you'll almost certainly keep.

I bought mine from a UK dealer too far away for me to go and try it, I could have returned it and the cost of doing so wouldn't have been too silly but I knew from the first G chord that it was a keeper.

A quote from the Emerald website :-

Quote:
What happens If I don't like my Emerald and want to return it?

For those who purchase a guitar directly from Emerald Guitars we know its important you have the confidence in knowing that if you find the instrument does not suit you that you are not stuck with it. We offer the option to return any standard guitar to us within 10 days of receiving it for any reason and we will refund the entire sale price. We have only ever had 2 guitars sent back so we don't anticipate you will have any reason to return it but Its important for us to give you this peace of mind.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 PM

It's a little different when $3000 is the price of admission. I am sure I would be happy with either guitar but not sure I "need" either. I would just like to try them to see if they are as good I I think they may be.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 AM

Yeah, I hadn't read your sig when I posted above, of course you know the quality of Alastair's guitars

If one is serious about buying a particular guitar then the cost of returning it is a fair price to pay on the off chance that it doesn't come up to expectations. If window shopping just to satisfy curiosity then that cost becomes significant (and it's probably a little unfair on the builder too).

You already have an enviable collection anyway, and retired life in a nice town sounds good to me.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM

If anyone is interested, I've ordered a Leviora from Thomas Strieker in Germany, and given that MacNichol has now closed, I'd be perfectly happy to have folks play it if I happen to be passing through your town (a bit of a long shot, true, but it just occurred to me).
Old 01-29-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Two guitar intrigue me and I will probably never play one? Blackbird El Capitan and the new full size Kevin Michael. I'm retired in a great small college town in Ohio. My only chance is one heck of a road trip! Their cost makes it very difficult to buy without it being in my hands.
I agree Steve. I'd love to experience these first hand. That said; I'm further east than you are. If I had the funds, a roading I would go. I don't, so unless Devine intervention blesses me in my purely selfish desires. It could be a while.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber