The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Default Anybody here use Trio+ w/their acoustic?

The Digitech "band in a box" Trio+ is quite popular with electric guitar players but does not seem so much so with acoustic guitarists.

I bought one recently and do use it with my acoustics. I find it a very useful tool to practice improvisation. However, I find it rather hard to properly train to get a specific beat/sound/vibe. It's kind of a hit and miss thing as to what you get from the "bass player" and the "drummer" but at least there is no infighting or bad attitude with these 2 "band members!"

How do you use yours?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
The Digitech "band in a box" Trio+ is quite popular with electric guitar players but does not seem so much so with acoustic guitarists.

I bought one recently and do use it with my acoustics. I find it a very useful tool to practice improvisation. However, I find it rather hard to properly train to get a specific beat/sound/vibe. It's kind of a hit and miss thing as to what you get from the "bass player" and the "drummer" but at least there is no infighting or bad attitude with these 2 "band members!"

How do you use yours?
I have one, and I agree, there's quite a bit of a learning curve to training it, so much so that when I don't use it for a while I need to re-learn how to use it myself. Having a metronome or click-track available is invaluable for getting the timing and the looping portions of it down perfectly.

I find that you really need to simplify and almost exaggerate your chord changes and rhythm during training, and it helps to set the unit up for simple bass (It think that became available after the last firmware update). In my experience, throwing in even simple embellishments during training can really result in unpredictable results.

I use mine to set up the rhythm/bass track and a looped backup guitar track, which I then save to the SD card as a backing track for practicing. After I make a successful backing track, I always back up the SD to my PC using the Trio Manager, because I can't tell you how many times I accidentally overwrote a painstakingly composed backup track. I don't imagine I would ever attempt to use it in a performance setting.

I do find the ability to sequence the song parts very useful, allowing it to be far more flexible than an ordinary looper.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 AM

I have a Trio and like it. There is some practice, getting to know it, and occasional love/hate but it is a good product overall.

FYI, if you don't have a pickup or want simplicity: The Apple Music records and added backing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion