The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Very nice, Glenn. I love that song and you do a nice cover of it. Nice Ave Maria. Gerald makes beautiful guitars and I have had the pleasure of playing a number of them over the years.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Very nice, Glenn. I love that song and you do a nice cover of it. Nice Ave Maria. Gerald makes beautiful guitars and I have had the pleasure of playing a number of them over the years.

Best,
Jayne
Hi Jayne,

Thank you for your comments on the song!

Interesting that you have some experience of Sheppard guitars. Most people don't. I have played one other; it was German spruce over Cocobolo. It had the same deep bass as my Sheppard but lacked some of the higher frequency response that mine has. In my recent communications with Gerald, he told me he hasn't made any guitars from BRW in some time. My Sheppard was built in late 2008.

For a while I wasn't playing this Sheppard guitar all that much. It has a 1 13/16" nut width and 2 5/16" string width at the bridge. Both of those characteristics are not the way I would have had a guitar built for my tastes. But the guitar looked and sounded so good, I bought it from Billy Boy, anyway. He is a whole lot bigger guy than I am, and his hands are huge, his fingers very broad. He needs more space on the fretboard than I do.

For whatever reason, I have finally played this guitar enough to get used to it. I wish it had a 1 3/4" nut and 2 1/4" width at the bridge, but in spite of those things, I am still enjoying this guitar a great deal. I'm sure it would cost more than it's worth to have those issues fixed by Gerald, so I just decided to enjoy the guitar the way it is. As a consequence of that decision, I have been enjoying this guitar a lot more lately.

- Glenn
Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 PM

That's a great version of a song that's long been on my list to learn. Well done.

Would you be willing to share the chords / chord shapes you used in this? I'd be very grateful.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
That's a great version of a song that's long been on my list to learn. Well done.

Would you be willing to share the chords / chord shapes you used in this? I'd be very grateful.
Hi Tonyo,

I'm very glad that you like this rendition.

Regarding how this song is played, I had copied an article from Acoustic Guitar Magazine on how to play this song from a Darrell Scott interview. The transcription was very well done, and I basically figured out what Darrell was doing from that. I will look around in my old files to see if I can find it. If I can, I will scan it and email it to you. Let me look around and I'll get back to you.

Thanks so much for your interest!

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2018, 12:46 AM

Hey Glenn, that would be super. I'm intermediate enough to wing it from something like the article you mentioned, but not advanced enough to figure it out just by watching your's or Darrell's videos. My email address is [email protected]

cheers
Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 AM

D. Scott sits comfortably at the very top of my favorite singer/songwriter/strummers. You've done a beautiful job of his amazing song, Glenn - congratulations, and thanks for sharing it.

2009 Martin OM-28 Marquis
2016 Gibson J45 Standard
Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nads View Post
D. Scott sits comfortably at the very top of my favorite singer/songwriter/strummers. You've done a beautiful job of his amazing song, Glenn - congratulations, and thanks for sharing it.
Thank you Brent! Darrell Scott is at pretty much the top of my list, too!

- Glenn
Old 01-23-2018, 01:07 PM

You can’t beat a bit of Darrell! Well done!
Martin J40
Old 01-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Glenn, that would be super. I'm intermediate enough to wing it from something like the article you mentioned, but not advanced enough to figure it out just by watching your's or Darrell's videos. My email address is [email protected]

cheers
Hi Tony,

I found this (attached), which I scanned for you. Unfortunately, this does not really provide the voicings that Darrell Scott uses in playing his "Crooked Road" song.

I cannot find all the information that was in the Acoustic Guitar Magazine article on Darrell Scott and this song, and I apologize for that. I am pretty sure I still remember how to play this song as I recorded it on my YouTube channel, so I think I will sit down and do a tutorial on how to play this song with my approximations.

Maybe my tutorial will be of help.

I'm sorry that I can't do better than this.

Thanks,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crooked Road.jpg (35.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:14 PM

Thanks SO very much. It gives me a start. Looking forward to any tutorial you do.

cheers, you've made my day!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks SO very much. It gives me a start. Looking forward to any tutorial you do.

cheers, you've made my day!
Hi Tony,

I just put up the tutorial here. I did this in kind of a hurry; I hope it's helpful to you!

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM

outstanding!!! just great!!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
You can’t beat a bit of Darrell! Well done!
Thank you Andy! Glad to know you are listening! I appreciate your commenting here!

- Glenn
Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
outstanding!!! just great!!
Thank you eyesore!

Very nice of you to take the time to listen and comment!

- Glenn
Old 01-24-2018, 03:49 AM

Finally got off work and was able to watch the tutorial all the way through. It's definitely something I can follow. You rock!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell