The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Understood, but yes, it works for me. I can't induce buzzing unless I pluck vertically with some force. Rules of thumb are fine, but ultimately it's playability and tone that matter.

I understand wanting adjustability, but to characterize the fixed geometry as "flawed" is akin to saying every pre-1985 Martin is flawed. If it doesn't work for you, move on. There are lots of guitars out there, and carbon fiber may not have the kind of adjustability some people want.

)
Agree.
It's like saying (to use Rick's analogy) that a car with a non-adjustable seat is "flawed".
It's not "flawed" if the seat is set right were you would put it anyway...or you don't mind either not being able to reach the pedals easily or driving with your knees in your chest.

On the other hand...."adjustability" tends to be a good thing, if for no other reason than it increases your potential customer market.

Seems to me that some folks here would like to consider a CA guitar..but want them to be a better "fit" for them.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Such passion for truss rods. I can understand where you are coming from. But there was something very cool also getting a CA Legacy new in January of this year and it comes with a relief of .007 and 6/64 low E 4/64 high E. Right on and it will never change. I kind of like that simplicity when it comes out right. I actually would not use a truss rod if it was in this guitar. Maybe I was lucky but to me that is cool.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Humanist

I believe that it was Bill Gates who (in)famously remarked something along the lines of "...no one will ever need more than 640 KB of memory."

Okay, according to wiki; "640K ought to be enough for anybody" *was* *definitely* said by Bill Gates. He said it at an early microcomputer trade show in Seattle in mid 1981.

Heh, heh...the ol' biologic-processor still has some life left in it....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

For anyone interested, the General Manager, Product Development for Peavey just posted in the MacNichol CF Guitar Forum here...
http://macnichol.com/forum-post/2889?page=1Post #18.

Seems like what CA started out to do will be in good hands with Peavey.

Larry, you will be happy. He's asking for improvement suggestions.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
He's asking for improvement suggestions.
A great sign!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Default Regarding CA

Hi all,

I barely know how to post on here, although I've been reading since it was the Taylor Forum (2002). I was the VP of Sales and Marketing at CA for a brief moment. Some of you can blame me for things, while others would likely thank me for the very same. One of those things was identifying, naming and building a sales/marketing plan around an amazing little guitar that Ellis Seal created called the Cargo. It is to Ellis's credit, by the way, that the Cargo exists today. It is, to my mind, one of his greatest achievements in guitar innovation and design. At one time, we (the CA Mgt team) joked about calling what became Cargo, "the Ellis."

I'll reserve most comments, as it's likely that I know a bit too much - not because I'm that smart, but rather because I was there for so much of what we are all talking about today. Also, what I can add regarding CF guitar construction would likely pale in comparison to guys like Rick Turner - a man I respect a great deal. People like Rick, Ervin S., and JR, and others on here, these guys are all my friends .... I don't need to add much.

But, because of the Ricks, Ervins, Richard Hoover and great builders like Bruce Sexauer, I decided to join the AGF after all these years. These guys are the real teachers and this student is always ready for them to appear.

I do want to say one thing regarding the passionate arguments presented here regarding innovations and possible new developments on CA Guitars including the Cargo. Everything said in the above thread is completely valid. I have opinions either way. The only thing I would add is that many of the choices made in guitar manufacturing are made with regard to costs, price poetry, the ability to ensure success for the retail channel, and ultimately for the consumer. The other factor that often goes unmentioned in these discussions is how much the goals of the company play into the decisions made in product development. Your decisions around design innovation are often driven and limited by your ability to get things sold at a fair, sensible and reasonable price, and to put it simply, by how big you really want to be or need to be given how well the company is funded. That's the back-end of these discussions that doesn't get represented enough. Thankfully, you have the Rick Turners of the world who understand these aspects as well (excuse the name dropping - it's just how I feel).

I am happy to see CA coming back .... I wish it happened a little sooner for the sake of the brand. I like the "CA" brand, by the way, as opposed to "Composite Acoustics." It didn't matter to me what the company called itself as a dba, but I felt strongly about not going to market under those 2 words. To me it sounded more like a styrofoam factory in the hood than an innovative guitar manufacturer.

Thanks for all of the spirited discussions. Please be gentle with me if you choose to reply ..... hahahah ....

Best,

Jay
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey, Jay. Thanks for posting. Personally, I have nothing but repect for anyone associated with an innovative company such as CA. I had to give up on an innovation of my own, and it hurts BIG. Although on the one hand, Ellis must be happy to see what he started carry on -- on the other, it's gotta hurt like hell! I only hope Peavey does him, and anyone else who worked for and cared about the company, proud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygits View Post
Hi all,

I barely know how to post on here, although I've been reading since it was the Taylor Forum (2002). I was the VP of Sales and Marketing at CA for a brief moment. Some of you can blame me for things, while others would likely thank me for the very same. One of those things was identifying, naming and building a sales/marketing plan around an amazing little guitar that Ellis Seal created called the Cargo. It is to Ellis's credit, by the way, that the Cargo exists today. It is, to my mind, one of his greatest achievements in guitar innovation and design. At one time, we (the CA Mgt team) joked about calling what became Cargo, "the Ellis."

I'll reserve most comments, as it's likely that I know a bit too much - not because I'm that smart, but rather because I was there for so much of what we are all talking about today. Also, what I can add regarding CF guitar construction would likely pale in comparison to guys like Rick Turner - a man I respect a great deal. People like Rick, Ervin S., and JR, and others on here, these guys are all my friends .... I don't need to add much.

But, because of the Ricks, Ervins, Richard Hoover and great builders like Bruce Sexauer, I decided to join the AGF after all these years. These guys are the real teachers and this student is always ready for them to appear.

I do want to say one thing regarding the passionate arguments presented here regarding innovations and possible new developments on CA Guitars including the Cargo. Everything said in the above thread is completely valid. I have opinions either way. The only thing I would add is that many of the choices made in guitar manufacturing are made with regard to costs, price poetry, the ability to ensure success for the retail channel, and ultimately for the consumer. The other factor that often goes unmentioned in these discussions is how much the goals of the company play into the decisions made in product development. Your decisions around design innovation are often driven and limited by your ability to get things sold at a fair, sensible and reasonable price, and to put it simply, by how big you really want to be or need to be given how well the company is funded. That's the back-end of these discussions that doesn't get represented enough. Thankfully, you have the Rick Turners of the world who understand these aspects as well (excuse the name dropping - it's just how I feel).

I am happy to see CA coming back .... I wish it happened a little sooner for the sake of the brand. I like the "CA" brand, by the way, as opposed to "Composite Acoustics." It didn't matter to me what the company called itself as a dba, but I felt strongly about not going to market under those 2 words. To me it sounded more like a styrofoam factory in the hood than an innovative guitar manufacturer.

Thanks for all of the spirited discussions. Please be gentle with me if you choose to reply ..... hahahah ....

Best,

Jay
Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygits View Post
I'll reserve most comments, as it's likely that I know a bit too much
Welcome, Jay (the Man Who Knew Too Much)!

Jerry Kaplan wrote a great book about starting a pen-based computer company before anybody accepted the paradigm. The idea eventually took off about 20 years later in products like the Apple iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/Startup-Silico.../dp/0140257314

Seems like the CA story would be a good one to tell. If you don't feel like writing a book, perhaps you could start a new thread.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Thumbs up

I tip my hat to Hartley Peavey and the Powers That Be at Peavey for taking this step. Hopefully good things will happen !

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The physics of string vibration does not alter from wood guitar to non-wood guitars.
But the physics of top vibration does change, as does the interaction between the strings and the top. For given desired qualities, the question could be settled empirically, but i doubt that guitar players collectively could agree on what the desired qualities are.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgph View Post
But the physics of top vibration does change, as does the interaction between the strings and the top. For given desired qualities, the question could be settled empirically, but i doubt that guitar players collectively could agree on what the desired qualities are.
The coefficients of the equations change but the physics remain the same.

George
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 PM

Great news indeed! Love my OX and my Cargo. Tman, let me know when you start selling them again, I'll pick up another Cargo from you..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 PM

So I just bought a pre-owned Cargo. Smart move, or dumb move?

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM

Depends what you paid and what the Peavey Cargos will be like I guess..
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 AM

Wow! This is a very exciting development... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Peavey get this right. Personally, I don't believe they're going to go off half cocked with this acquisition and will be going to market with and improved product across the line. They haven't survived and grown over the last 45 years without a good degree of both business and manufacturing acumen.

Bong.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber