The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM

It actually looks to me like the tuner itself might be able to be moved from instrument to instrument, and thus the battery easily changed. I think the part that screws into the tuner hole is just a mounting bracket, in the same way that they also include a mounting bracket with the NS Artist Capo that you can attach the NS Micro Tuner to.

This actually looks pretty cool to me. I own the NS Micro in both the headstock and soundhole versions and I like both of them a lot. This would be a very good option for somebody who wants the ultimate in discreetness (ie no clips visible anywhere from the front).
Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 AM

I’ve got a couple of the Micro clip on models, one of those lives on my GS Mini, never done it any harm.
Batteries need changing about once a year, or even less , IF you always remember to turn it off the instant you’re tuned up.

I find that they don’t work so well on the back of a Martin headstock, can’t seem to get such a good viewing angle, I use a Snark on them.

I quite like the screw on idea. Had not seen those previously (thanks Andy).

I see one on their website on a Waverly , but something feels a bit “wrong” about that to me, I’d prolly only screw one on to a cheaper geetar.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Seems it'd be inconvenient to switch between instruments. Could it be damaged inside the case? There is not always much space behind the headstock in every case.
I think the intent is for people to buy one for every instrument. $$

I have the mini tuners on almost all my guitars. I think I like the screw on idea. I haven't seen it in person but it's possible that the screw on part is a mounting bracket and the tuner clicks into it. The clip on ones I use now have that. The tuner can separate from the mount. There's a little hole/slide/click thing in the mount and the tuner has a little nub that fits into it.

Plus, you change the battery by sliding out the little tray on the back side (opposite of the display screen).

You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this photo:

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
It looks like the screw replaces an existing tuner screw, and it says it comes with screws (plural), so presumably no headstock damage / modification.
I believe it would have to provide longer screws so it would work properly to accept the thickness of the tuner and still grab correctly
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
No thanks, I certainly don't want a "permanent" attachment on any of my instruments head stock. I NEVER leave the snark or a capo clipped on either.
I kind of agree with this. I purchased a PolyTune Clip-On from TC Electronics and think it's great. I don't leave it on...I'm trying not to lose it.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I leave my Planet Waves NS tuners on the guitars, they are small enough where the look doesn't bother me. I do like the idea that the screw on style are sort of stealth, leaves the headstock unencumbered.

Sadly I just ordered two more of the clip on style so I'm good for awhile. Amazon has the two pack for $19.97, btw.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I like their soundhole unit.

It amazes me how many different variations Planetwaves comes up for these things. It's not really a big market. But I'm glad they do.

Great products.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 AM

What I'd love to see is for them to release a "bracket kit". Other than the soundhole version, these all use the same tuner, just a different bracket. It just snaps in and out of the bracket. Sell me a kit with bracket with an arm, the original low profile clip, and the screw mount. Be very handy to have one tuner and the tuning machine mount for each guitar so it can just be popped in on each.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM

I'm a wait and see kind of guy.
The idea looks good on this tuner but I'll give it a year or so to see what people think about them before I try one.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I like their soundhole unit.

It amazes me how many different variations Planetwaves comes up for these things. It's not really a big market. But I'm glad they do.

Great products.

Me too.

The best attribute of the NS soundhole tuner for me is the fact that it is more or less hidden inside the instrument. That means that it won’t get lost at a jam, unlike clip-on tuners which always get loaned and seldom returned.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Seems it'd be inconvenient to switch between instruments. Could it be damaged inside the case? There is not always much space behind the headstock in every case.
Eh? No, these are tiny little tuners - you would have one for each instrument. ....least that's what i do.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

As I have the clip-ons on all my guitars all the time, I think I may try one of these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion