The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Default The Right Guitar for me?

I'm looking to buy an acoustic guitar so that I can be able to do and learn certain things on it but I'm not sure what guitars will suite my needs. To give you a heads up, I've been playing bass for over four years so I'm somewhat used to playing a stringed instrument.

Alright, here's what I'm looking for and I'd like to hear any suggestions you guys have...not on where I can get it just brands and models:

1. Price range: Around $150 but not over...something cheap obviously
2. Learn music theory on it
3. Get a good sound when playing chords, finger picking, using a standard guitar pick, tapping (including two handed tapping), sweep picking, slapping/popping, tremolo picking
4. Something I can play basic acoustic rock songs on but also some jazz, classical, pop, and flamenco.
5. Be able to cover songs, specifically solos. Many solos I want to cover require 15+ frets, I don't know if this is possible on any acoustic in my price range
6. I want the life of the guitar to be over 3 years. Something durable basically.

that's basically it, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:51 PM

To be quite honest, I don't think you're going to be able to do it. It'll be hard finding a good guitar at that price point (though Yamaha does have some decent playing and sounding starter packs around that...I've played them and they're not that bad). But you want something that'll be good for styles that may require more than one guitar. I'm not sure about playing flamenco on a steel string flat top.

There are guitars that are very good for playing a variety of styles...Larrivee, Taylor, Takamine, Yamaha, Seagull, Squire (by Fender) and others come to mind, but finding it at your price point...especially new...is gonna be very tough.

Check ebay, check around for something used, I'd guess. Others may have better ideas.

All of this is IMHO, of course.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Id take a drive to a GC , its not my favorite place in the world- but sometimes they have used instruments -- in your price range of 150 it would be hard to find something decent new - unless you get real lucky- typically this is the starter guitar price -- ( the W place quality or slighly better) Ibanez has some in the 200 range that are OK as well as Takamine - you might want to check them out -- if you get lucky you might find a decent Yamaha used.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM

thanks for the quick reply! I know my aim is a little lofty so part of my hope with this thread is to make my needs somewhat realistic.

What would u guys say about an acoustic electric, something like this:
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...subsearch=true
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM

It's so hard to answer this often asked question IMO as there aren't any "good" acoustic guitars that sell for $150. If you are set on the price, you best option is to go to GC, Sam Ash. Etc and play all the ones they have in that price range and buy the one "you" like the most. I would put "playability" over tone, materials, looks. Any Dreadnaught will do what you want to do, with the exception of Classical/Flamenco. You really need Nylon strings to get the right sound for those (IMO).

If you want a "good" guitar, you need to raise your price up to around $400. Also, consider a used guitar as you can normally get a better guitar for about 2/3 to 1/2 the price of a new one.

Good luck

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_harmonic View Post
It's so hard to answer this often asked question IMO as there aren't any "good" acoustic guitars that sell for $150. If you are set on the price, you best option is to go to GC, Sam Ash. Etc and play all the ones they have in that price range and buy the one "you" like the most. I would put "playability" over tone, materials, looks. Any Dreadnaught will do what you want to do, with the exception of Classical/Flamenco. You really need Nylon strings to get the right sound for those (IMO).

If you want a "good" guitar, you need to raise your price up to around $400. Also, consider a used guitar as you can normally get a better guitar for about 2/3 to 1/2 the price of a new one.

Good luck
That's a great point you bring up. I'm looking for a lot but I'm not expecting much realistically. So what would you (and others) suggest I look for when testing out the guitars at a place like sam ash?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Welcome to the AGF, Richter915. Glad to have you with us! I haven't played that Carlo Robelli, but it might be OK. Know what I'd recommend, though? Buy used. That way, you can just about double the buying power of your money, sometimes even more. That means that for your $150, you might be able to score a used guitar with a few scratches or dings (we call 'em "character marks") that originally sold for, say, $350 or more. In this price bracket, the difference can be significant!

Watch this forum's Classifieds, or even post a "Looking For" thread. These folks know their guitars, and while you won't likely find something for a give away price, you're not likely to get ripped off, either. Those of us who hang out here often become a community, a family even, and we treat each other with mutual respect.

If you'd rather buy new, then perhaps you could have a buddy who plays acoustic guitar go with you to a couple or three shops. It's hard to tell from a screen or piece of paper what a guitar is going to sound like or feel like.

Let us know what you decide on, will you? And why - a lot of people come here for the same kind of help.

cotten
Old 08-27-2007, 04:19 PM

Another thing to consider is this. My first guitar was a Yamaha F-310 that I got for about what you are talking about. For my first guitar, it was okay. Once I knew I was serious about guitar and had a better idea of what I wanted (acoustic/electric, steel/nylon, size, shape, etc), I upgraded to a Taylor 314CE which was a super guitar and one I would be more than happy with even today. So who knows, you might do the same and upgrade to something better in time?

As to what to look for, I would go for playability first and formost. Things to consider are:
1) What is the "action" like (how high off the neck are the strings). You want as low an action as you can have without causing buzzing when stumming the strings.
2) How comfortable is the guitar as you hold it in playing position. Size and shape matter here (it's why I own a Grand Auditorium rather than a Dreadnaught).
3) How comfortable is the neck. To thick or thin can make it hard for you to play.
4) Nut width/string spacing - Of course, 90% of the guitars you will see will be 1 11/16" nut widths so you might not have much in the way of options here. I prefer the wider nut on the Taylor (1 3/4 = 1 12/16) over the standard 1 11/16 nut you find on most guitars.
5) String gauge - My Taylor uses light gauge strings and as such it's a bit easier on the fingers. Medium gauge strings require more pressure to fret. Now days, I play either wthout much notice.

After all these, consider tone, then looks. I agree, take someone with you if you can (I did when I bought my 1st guitar). Also, play a lot of guitars and perhaps don't rush into a decision. Maybe plan on taking a minimum of two trips to try out guitars so that you're more confident you're making the right choice.

Good luck!

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 08-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Used Washburn D10S.

A new one can be had for just a little more than your budget.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:32 PM

I actually think that Brownsville might fit your bill with the exception of lasting 3 years. The extreme low end of the steel string market does provide an entry point sound wise but most are lacking in contruction quality. You see a lot of these types with pulled bridges, warped tops, bad frets, iffy electronics, poor set ups, and necks out of whack. Check it out in person, if it seems to play OK, inquire as to warranty offered since the first non warranty repair will exceed the value of the instrument.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM

Default The right guitar...

Personally, I think Washburn makes the best low-end guitars out there. I've been very pleased with most that I've played, especially considering the price. Having said that, I'd probably spend an extra $100 and get a Taylor Baby...

2004 Taylor 315ce
1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1989 Fender American Strat
1999 Danelectro Baritone
Early 90's Norman acoustic
2003 Yamaha BB1000MA bass
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber amp
Fender Acoustasonic amp
Mid-90's Premier Genista drumkit
Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter915 View Post
thanks for the quick reply! I know my aim is a little lofty so part of my hope with this thread is to make my needs somewhat realistic.

What would u guys say about an acoustic electric, something like this:
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...subsearch=true
My coworker has that exact Carlo Robelli he keeps in the office. Piece of crap. I wouldn't touch it if I were on a desert island. Don't get a cheap thin bodied guitar. Go to Guitar Center and try out some things for a while. I think the best sounding guitar I have found for cheap is the Takamine GS330s which has a cedar top and great warm tone better than most guitars I have tried in the under 8 bills range. Great sound for a little over 2 bills negotiated. I would also agree that Washburn does make a good guitar for the money and they have a variety of models.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

+1 on Washburn. I have a Washburn D-10S that I use as a practice guitar - throw in the truck play at lunchtime. It has good volume and mine has an excellent setup.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

this one looks promising, spec-wise
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fernandes-Palisa...QQcmdZViewItem
solid top, shadow electronics
http://fernandesguitars.com/pd-18ceq.html
most of the other guitars in this range are either all-laminate
or have passive electronics with a "2-band eq"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion