The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Seagull S6+ Folk question.

Just picked up a used 2000 model S6+folk for a good price. I'm surprised by how much I like this little fingerstyle guitar. Not much of a strummer, but it has a rich, warm tone for fingerstyle. For what I paid for it, it qualifies as a steal. (OK. I just got it. I could change my mind in a few days. LOL!)

Does anyone know if the back & sides are solid, laminate or a combination of laminate sides/solid back? I'm finding varied answers as I search online for information.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM

I think this might be what you have:
http://www.seagullguitars.com/productcoastfolk.htm

According to their website it's a wild cherry laminate. I don't think it's solid. Their Artist series is all solid and so is the new SWS series. I played the SWS folk and it sounded great btw, and I mean really good for the $. Would have bought it on the spot, but didn't want to commit to all fingerstyle. Currently dwelling on the dread and mini jumbo sws models. I'm sure what you got is a good deal.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Back and sides are laminate. Top is solid. I had one dedicated to DADGAD tuning and it was great till a shoulder injury dictated a shorter scale for me.
Never had a complaint when I owned mine!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys. Actually, I do have a 2000 S6+ Folk. The sides are definitely a laminate. The back probably is as well.

Cherry makes nice tonewood. I have a student with a Martin SWS OM that has cherry back & sides (solid) and there's been one down at the local guitar store I've played. I've been impressed by them.

My little Seagull seems to be a good fingerstyle player for here on the couch. Not as good as the Larrivee OM I got from you Dan. But that one has moved on to a better home. The Seagull projects well, but it doesn't make such a good strummer. And it's a little uneven compared to my Martin & Bourgeois guitars, but that's not a fair comparison because those guitars cost a lot more than this little guitar.

I think I'm gonna keep it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion