The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2022, 08:29 AM

Default Zoom A1-4

Are these any good for acoustic guitar ? I know there is a Zoom G1-Four but I understand this one is for electric guitars. How complicated are these ?
Old 12-08-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker1 View Post
Are these any good for acoustic guitar ? I know there is a Zoom G1-Four but I understand this one is for electric guitars. How complicated are these ?
I bought the previous incarnation, the G1on, pretty much as a cheap way to dip my toe in the waters for looping. They sold new for $50, so the prices have gone up substantially for their newer multi-effect pedals.

Other than the effects being optimized for acoustic guitar there's not a lot of difference between the A and G versions, except the A version comes with a mic adapter that supplies phantom power for condenser mics.

Ease of use? Low. Zoom still generally requires a lot of menu diving to make adjustments. They always claim how easy it is, but it's not like the straight acoustic guitar preamps like the AC series that have simple knob adjustments.

If you're looking for looping, I found the 30 seconds to be relatively useless and with no ability to store loops it seriously cripples any serious use.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:49 PM

I use it. I find it to be quite good. A feedback buster it has impulse response built in. You can't load ir's. It has eq, and a bunch of effects. I load all the effects I need and have it set on that. They are cheap enough.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:19 AM

The A1-4 doesn't have enough input impedance to use as a preamp for certain passive pickups, but it can be a very effective EQ device. It has graphic EQs ,(like a GE-7 simulater), semi-paramtric EQ and simulations of the EQ sections of certain popular preamps (like Baggs Venue). You can even chain two EQ devices in series when programming a patch for a particular instrument.

In addition to programming patches, you have basic bass, midrange and treble manually adjustable controls which can be used for "quick and dirty" tone adjustments at the gig.

It also has a thousand and one other bells and whistles which I never explored much, although I did find the guitar modeling somewhat useful with certain guitars.

As has already been mentioned, the big downside is a high learning curve. Albeit, that might provide a fun challenge for some.

As I recall, there are some long old threads on the A1-4 which can be found and reviewed.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:49 PM

I had the G1 Four. Good cheap way to get into effects. Used it with a Godin Multitac.

Hated the interface with the computer. Sure it worked. But the back and forth between the computer and the playing location was a pain. Used both a desk top and lap top. Adding patches...deleting patches....testing patches.....it was a pain.

I now use a dedicated DI/EQ/Tuner along with some plug in and play pedals. Easier for me to see right now, make adjustments, play, tweak, play some more and MOST importantly enjoy my playing time.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:42 PM

Oh and not complicated at all.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:36 PM

I bought a demo/open box A1X Four a few years. The A1X Four has an expression pedal which I seldom use, but as a demo was cheaper than a straight A1 Four. It has a bunch of features and sounds good. Not too hard to edit once you get the hang of it. Builtin drum machine is fun and handy, looper not so much. A helpful video that kinda sold me on it....

https://youtu.be/9On1XMvL3P8
Old 12-10-2022, 12:29 AM

I've got both the G1 and A1-four... I use them mostly at home...sometimes
If any I use the G1 for the Epiphone ES339 more, a demo of it is in my Signature "Please" by Chris Isaak
I just don't use effects other the reverb and maybe chorus with my acoustic
But my Electric needs help
I think for live use once you setup 3-4 patches you should be good but to edit between songs..No Thankyou It would be nerve-racking

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification