The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2024, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I have a 60's Stella and an 80's Strat that I will keep until I get to the 'end of the runway' for sentimental reasons (I'm 72yo). My daily finger picking luthier-built guitar will probably change every 3-4 years only because I enjoy a change of scenery now and again or until arthritis takes me out of the guitar game all together.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

As another old dude here (70 this spring) I've had the disposable income and the time to put together a nice little collection. I think I 'd like to own a ladder braced Waterloo because everybody raves about them for old timey fingerpicking but I'm not actively looking for one. If I ever come into some serious money (highly doutful) I'll buy some boutique or vintage prewar pieces but I don't really think it's in the cards.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Sure, got one now. Had a bunch of ‘em, but most are gone.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:00 PM

I have three.

A Larrivee I bought in 1981. Other than buying a relatively inexpensive eBay Larrivee to use as a beater, I didn't buy another acoustic guitar for 37 years...

... until 2018, when I bought an Irvin SJ cutaway.

Then in 2020 I commissioned another Irvin for my first ever custom build.

I do not enjoy FINDING the perfect guitar. I enjoy USING the perfect guitar.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-13-2024, 02:02 PM

I have guitars I can sell

I know what they are, and what they are worth.

I have guitars I will not sell.

I know what THOSE are too, and there's no price tag I can put on them.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-13-2024, 02:07 PM

I absolutely love my Larrivee. I do have guitars that are more responsive, but the Larrivee is so perfectly articulate, and it shines either finger picked or "plectrum-ed"

I can't imagine ever parting with it. It's also my 12-year old nephew's favorite (he's rapidly advancing from beginner status on guitar), so I guess it will stay no matter what!
Old 03-13-2024, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

At some point I may not be able to play anymore. I've thought when that time comes, everything goes and I hope to be able to get a twenties Martin 00. If not I'll get whatever small SCGC that will sound good with silk and steel .010s.

Right now my SCGC D P/W has not been around long enough to tell. A year is not enough time, but it's a fine guitar. My 70 Guild D 35 has the most attachment to me because I resurrected it from the life of a dark closet. I've had it for twenty years, for ten it wasn't playable. Never is a pretty high bar to meet, but I am not a trader by nature.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-13-2024, 03:02 PM

I don’t have any Sentimental attachment to objects or possessions, including guitars. I own one acoustic guitar, which I’ve had for 15 years or more and can’t really imagine ever selling it, but only because I’m not really looking for a different or better acoustic to replace it. if I did for some reason ever get another guitar I’d rather play than that one, it’s worth enough money than sure I would sell it on and get some of my money back out of it.

For me a musical instrument, no matter how nicely made or how well it suits me, is just a thing I make music with. Its value is entirely “instrumental”, you light say
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-13-2024, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I understand what you're saying but I don't get sentimentally attached to hammers or saws but when I find one that works well for me I keep it.

Last edited by Bluenose; 03-14-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:37 PM

The 2013 Gretsch G6136DC double-cut White Falcon I bought in 2018 was the realization of a 55-year dream for me, ever since I saw my first one in the '63 catalog as a kid...

My 2016 3-PU cat's eye Gretsch G5622T-CB is a production version of a design I bounced off a then up-and-coming (and now world-renowned) luthier about 40 years ago: cost about one-third what he quoted (in 1983 dollars - probably about 5-6 times that now), felt/sounded immediately familiar from day one, and I can live with the minor differences from my original conception...

Learned my lesson when I sold my "for life" '73 D-45 for all the wrong reasons...

Neither one is going anywhere while I walk this earth - anything else is negotiable...
Old 03-13-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip View Post
A guitar that you truly believe you will never ever get rid of.
I will keep my Hsienmo sinker redwood for the long haul most likely.

The exception may be if I order a grand auditorium sinker redwood from Hsienmo in which case I would probably sell the smaller one I have now down at a local guitar store.

- Hsienmo 38S, Sinker Redwood

- Hsienmo Autumn, European Spruce

- Teton STA180CEAB-AR, Sitka Spruce

- Teton STS205CENT, Thuja / Redcedar
Old 03-13-2024, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

My ‘04 D18GE will stay with me to the end. I owned several more expensive guitars, and maybe even some that are better sounding, but none that fit me like this GE.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

At 65 years old I do have my life guitar. Just don't ask me which one it is. I can't see me buying any more guitars. Except maybe one I have always wanted to try out. But that's a big maybe.

Most of us older folks have our life guitar because we have already been through the catch and release program.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM

I have a couple custom built boutique guitars. I have a couple old guitars. My oldest tenured guitar I bought with the intention of reselling it. (The one and only time I have ever bought a guitar with resale in mind) I have had it for 27 years. Another I've had for 22 years.

They are all for sale. So far, no one has met my asking price...
Old 03-13-2024, 08:17 PM
Runaway Tomato

Two == a 1978 K. Yairi classical, hand built (for emo reasons) and a Taylor 110e (2015), for practical reasons.
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion