The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 05:36 AM

The attraction for me is that they add a different sound (but you can use your already-acquired guitar stills to play them). The sound is also fuller, as if there were two people playing, in harmony. Like a duo with one singer. And that sound seems to fit certain songs better than others. Some just do not feel right to me if not played on a 12 string.

Yet I do not use mine regularly in day-to-day playing. When on stage or recording it plays a much greater part of my musical life. Many of the songs I use it for are ones I've played forever, ones that don't get much practice time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:11 PM

You might as well ask why a mandolin. Or why a banjo. It's a different instrument, a different sound entirely. Either you like it or you don't, or you're indifferent, but that's why.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:12 PM

Default why 12

I don't gig or play in alternate tunings. All I do is play melodies with a chord here and there, but I've been doing that for more than 50 years. I can't barre the thing. The only guy I ever knew who could was a guy a couple years ahead of me in high school. He had polio, and used hip-high crutches. That gave him the hand strength, I imagined, could snap a guitar neck if he so chose. Barre chording a 12 was easy to him.

I came across my first 12 in a Florida pawn shop in the summer of '72. There was a lot of great music caressing the airways back then. Some of those songs wouldn't leave my head until I plucked them out with my Conrad 12.

I was 19 then. I dunno what it was, but when there were emotions inside of me that needed to come out, nothing but a 12 would do that for me. Don't ask me why, but it's no different today. At the end of a day, when I'm a bit tense, my FG-820-12 drains the chains and sends me to sleep relaxed and content. May not make sense, but who cares? It works for me sans further analysis.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:30 PM

My enjoyment of the 12 string started as soon as I learned to play the guitar. My best friend's father was a music lover and gave him a new Yamaha 12 string. No one in the family played.

So, I would go over to his house and tune the 12 string (they were amazed by this accomplishment alone) and play his father's favorite Beatles songs. It was a good time.

I eventually got one as an adult and added it to my folk repertoire. It's also nice to have a 12 string when you play in an ensemble, or a duo. It adds texture. And, if that's not enough check out all the music from the 60s and 70s. Or, go back further to the Leadbelly, Guthrie, Seager days, etc.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-27-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

To answer your question they are simply a different sound and flavor. Also I do not personally think there are "12 string songs" as any song can be played on any guitar.

Here is a short clip I made of a Don Henley song that was originally written on piano with Bruce Hornsby. There are no rules

Old 04-27-2024, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
To answer your question they are simply a different sound and flavor. Also I do not personally think there are "12 string songs" as any song can be played on any guitar.
And what kind of 12 string is that? Sounds really good!
Mike
Old 04-27-2024, 07:48 PM

Default Why a 12 string

Here's a few good reasons:

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-28-2024 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in lytle View Post
And what kind of 12 string is that? Sounds really good!
Mike
Thanks Mike, it is a cheap Martin x series 12 string. I think I got it for 400 bucks used.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

For me the attraction of a good 12-string is the sound. I just love the sound.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion