The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-06-2014, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default McKnight Apprentice's #2

Here are final pictures of Adrianne's second guitar. Its our SDG body with African Birdseye Movingui back, sides and rosette with a master grade Lutz Spruce top. Mesquite FB, bridge, Tazlam bindings. 1-3/4" nut, 2-1/4" bridge.

If you look reeeeealy close you might be able to see a little "bling" in the dotted i.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Default McKnight Apprentice's #2

Wonderful job!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Super looking guitar.............that back is a mind blower.....!!! Looks like a job well done by master and apprentice. CONGRATS.
Tom
Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Congratulations, Adrianne!

You too, Tim and Mary.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 PM

So, is that her personal guitar, or is that going to be her headstock design?

And is she sending this one to the same place she did the last one? I don't think they have it any more (at least it's not on their website).

It's probably a 3-4 hour drive for me, but I'd love to play it if it ends up there!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

There is a huge reservoir of talent in the McKnight family, that's for sure. I saw Adrianne's first guitar at the Healdsburg last summer, and it looked like it could have been Number 25. Applause to Tim and Mary for their careful guidance, and even more so for Adrianne, who brought this guitar into being. She clearly has what it takes to be among the vanguard of top luthiers, just like her Dad.

Adrianne reminds me of another famous luthier's daughter, Joshia DeJonge. Joshia liked hanging out in her Dad's (Sergei's) shop from the time she was a little kid. Her brothers were out there too, watching Dad practice his craft. And they all learned guitar making under Sergei's guidance-- because they wanted to. Joshia DeJonge garnered acclaim as a world-class luthier while still in her teens. Her concert classical guitars are now regarded as some of the finest in the world.

If Adrianne chooses guitar making as a career, she will certainly be a member of the top ranks as well. But whatever the case, the skills she's learning-- patience, attention to detail, high-level craft skills, a great sense of design, and the pride of great accomplishment-- will serve her for a lifetime.
It's so inspiring to see a family that nurtures this kind of excellence!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Thank you. I had a wonderful time in the shop with my parents. They both have taught me so much. There is still so much I don't know as well, but that will come with time and more practice.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Fantastic!!! Great to see Adrianne's #2 completed and ready to be played. The font on the headstock looks great too (and yes, I can see the bling)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

We were told that the first one sold within hours after it got to Heart's Home. David Orf, Heart's Home Acoustics, has already purchased this guitar, too. During the entire build he was appreciative, encouraging and wonderful to allow her to freely pick and choose whatever design, top, bindings, bridge, peg head, strings, braces, etc... she desired. He had no demands, suggestions, ideas or decisions. He left it all up to her. She enjoyed working with her dad and me and, well, "for" Heart's Home Acoustics. Like her dad she had me assist in the aesthetic department.

Adrianne has stated that she is not taking requests. That makes is a job and she is not interested in having another boss. By the way, her day boss came to see what she has spent the last few months doing. He likes the work she does during the day and came to give his stamp of approval on her evening craft.

If someone contacts me and puts their name in for an Adrianne McKnight guitar she won't stress over a time frame or a design. Time wise though David can tell you she hasn't done bad. It depends on her day at work and what's plans are made for her evenings. She is a 25 year old who appreciates her down time with no shop equipment running in the back ground. She is sometimes quite happy watching a movie at home.

Shes allowing herself to enjoy this art of making whatever strikes her at the time. She will continue to look at it as a craft until she finds her own personal nitch. After all, she is enjoying the easy access to the equipment needed to make guitars.

She has said that she WILL always use her own name on the McKnight label from this day forward. Her labels might change so buyers beware. Adrianne is a girlie girl who has stated she will add a little pink to the label and a simple touch of bling to her guitars.

Is this her regular peg head? Who knows? She will pick and choose different ones, I imagine, as she goes along.

Last year during the McJam the attendees saw parts of her #1 as it hung. It wasn't ready, but I can tell you it sounded nice once completed. Real nice. She's not letting #2 sit and wait for McJammers to test drive in June either. She is a humble little girl and feels that sooner or later the timing will fit and the McJammers will view her work first hand. She doesn't want to let this guitar sit. It has some place to be and she is shipping it off tomorrow.

F Y I: Adrianne has made it clear she won't talk to anyone who wants to purchase her work. She has made it clear I am her PR by default. I say this to whomever this might be, it is wise to speak to me privately in advance. The first person who says I am buying an Adrianne McKnight guitar and WILL definitely purchase it without hesitation would get a few pictures of the build process. It will be purchased sight unseen with no hassle.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM

Another beautiful Guitar. Way to go Adrianne .... I see Dad's letting you into the wood pile and letting you choose now.

Very Nice Choice!

Happy moments!
Difficult moments!
Quiet moments!
Painful moments!
Every moment!
Thankful for something bigger than the internet to express my gratitude for living

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
That makes is a job and she is not interested in having another boss.
I'm an easy boss. You and Tim can vouch for that. Or CAN you?

Quote:
Her labels might change so buyers beware. . . . Is this her regular peg head? Who knows? She will pick and choose different ones, I imagine, as she goes along.
As a non-boss, I'll just say this: it might be wise to consider "building a brand" as soon as possible . . which includes trying to standardize as quickly as possible on a peghead / logo / etc.

On the other hand, experimentation can often be a good thing, too.

Decisions, decisions.

Do let me know when it heads towards Austin. If possible, I'd like to get down there and try it.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Congratulations, Adrienne! Hopefully we'll get to see #3 at the McJam?

No pressure.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Mary, as her PR person, just tell her to follow her 'leading' (I hesitate to call it muse) as she is definitely tuned in!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM

That is one GORGEOUS guitar, too.

Inquiring minds want to know when the Master is going to teach the Apprentice things like hollow backs and double tops.

When you've got an excellent student, you've got to put her in the advanced classes.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Musical minimalist

Nice work Adrianne!

You have way more patience than this old guy.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop