The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Considering one. How does it feel size-wise compared to playing a dreadnought? I’ve never played a Grand Concert.

Roger
For me a GA is more comfortable than a dread since it sits lower due to the taper so it's closer to your body. Alvarez's GA is also very slightly shallower than a typical dread, I believe.

Dreads began to feel unwieldy to me - so having an OM and then a GA for a little more oomph does the job.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:05 AM

Thanks, I’m going to give it a go. Anxious to try a cedar topped guitar. My first in more than 60 years of playing.

Rb

Last edited by Rogerblair; 03-18-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:51 AM

Default grand concert vs grand auditorium

Hi Roger, I have the same guitar, MG75ce, Cedar over Rosewood. I agree with all that's been said. I would add that it seems to me to be a guitar that projects very well, lots of volume, at least in my relatively small room. I wanted to address your question regarding the comparison to a dread. The MG75ce would be described by the manufacturer as a Grand Auditorium, not a Grand Concert. The depth of the MG75ce is the same as most dreads. It is still going to feel pretty big if you are my size, 5 ft 8, and sitting on a couch. I sit on a stool, or stand, so no problem. It has that narrow waist, compared to a dread, so I think that would help a little. If you put your knee in that curve, it would be a little easier on your right shoulder, if that makes sense. In my opinion, this guitar has plenty of base that sustains beautifully. Maybe a dread made of the same wood would be a little better, but I'm not missing any base for my finger style of play. The trebles ring beautifully, in my opinion. I guess that could be the Rosewood, or it could be a narrower upper bout with the cutaway, don't know, but it sounds good. It's a great guitar, but I should also say my experience is limited. Some might prefer a flatter EQ with stronger mids. I would miss that bell like treble, but that's just preference. A Grand Concert is not as wide or as deep in the lower bout as the Grand Auditorium. I think the GC's are the same as a folk guitar and they are very comfortable on a couch, but perhaps not as comfortable as a Parlor guitar. I'm not sure, but I think Alvarez would use the term Folk. Taylor would use the term Grand Concert, and Martin would use the term 000, but I'm not really sure about that. Maybe somebody will correct or clarify. The MG75ce is a Grand Auditorium. All the best.

Last edited by jem1450; 04-01-2024 at 07:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion