The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 10:47 AM

I've walked around the house playing in different rooms. Bouncing sound off the walls is always fun. Some rooms sound better than others, but that depends on how well these old ears are working. My guitar sounds best in the living room. It's a large, open room with a 20 ft. ceiling.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolimy View Post
I actually think storing your guitar in the bathroom could help it sound. The bathroom will probably be small and reflective, so I suspect that the guitar will pick up on any little sounds made in the bathroom and resonate along with them.
Not sure I want my guitars replicating the typical sounds of my bathroom....

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-02-2024, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that my acoustics sound best in smaller rooms where I can hear the reflections. One of my favorite places to play is just at my desk where the sounds are reflected back by my computer monitors. Every guitar sounds more rich and full.

The bigger rooms in my house, and playing outdoors, tend to not sound as good, since the sound waves don't bounce back with much strength, if at all. Some particular spots are so bad that I start to question if I should sell the guitar or if I need new strings, but a return to a smaller room gets my head back on straight.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Your room matters so much to the guitar's sound!

Yes, I have certainly discovered the same thing. Some places are a joy to play in, some rooms are so sound deadened that it's no fun at all!

- Glenn
Old 04-02-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Another place in the home that sounds great is in a hallway, with most doors closed.
I am fascinated by this subject, and I dream of creating a small performance space that maximizes the pure acoustic sounds, so no amplification is needed.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

It's not just the room; it's also the place where you're sitting in the room and the direction you're facing in the room.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-02-2024, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

For those who just play for themselves, like me, I think this is what a sound port is for. So I can actually hear my guitar, not the reflections.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:58 PM

My neighbor passed away a couple of years ago. The police were in the alley and I was wondering what had happened. They said that he was found dead in his bed and had a bicycle in bed with him. He had bicycles all over his house. That will be me except with guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion