The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2024, 01:33 PM

Default PWGC use of Brazilian rosewood

Hey guys,

Lately I’ve seen a few Pre War Guitar Companies guitars for sale with Brazilian in the used market. They’ve all been beautiful however I don’t find they look that vintage accurate. Not very straight grain, some very wavy and or wild looking stuff. I guess my question is, when you order from them do you get to pick the Braz or have any input? Or is it you get what you get and you don’t get upset? Just curious. Debating making an order.

Geordie
Old 03-30-2024, 01:53 PM

Considering they're a fairly new outfit, I'm surprised they've got any Brazilian at all...
Old 03-30-2024, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

My understanding, and as stated as a general policy on their website (I think it's in the FAQ), THEY choose the wood. No idea if this is 100% or not. Their up-charge for BR is not particularly high in the overall context of small luthier builds (ok, maybe in custom builds generally), so that may indicate something about what they have at their disposal, again, don't have personal experience here. If it was/is an important deciding factor in ordering from them, I'd certainly initiate a conversation with them on the subject.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

These days there’s not a lot of straight grained Brazilian anywhere. Pretty much everyone is relegated to using stump wood or other formally less desirable sets. As Richard Hoover would say, is really just the appearance at stake.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4yYkyGP8pA/
Old 03-30-2024, 03:21 PM

@soups

Super informative video. Thanks for that!
Old 03-30-2024, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

I see straight grained BRW being used not-infrequently - a scroll through the custom shop here contains many examples. I'm sure, however, that the wood being used in these is old, and that the luthiers who have it either got it long ago or got it from someone who got it long ago, and that the prices charged for it reflect this limited supply.

Everyone's correct here - straight grain is out there in small quantities; customers pay a lot for this wood; outfits that make larger quantities of BRW guitars are likely using non-quarter sawn wood, etc. Whether PWGC has straight grain wood as an option is a question for them. And whether the grain/milling makes any difference is a question that will get you different answers depending on context and whom you ask!
Old 03-30-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I'm sure, however, that the wood being used in these is old, and that the luthiers who have it either got it long ago or got it from someone who got it long ago, and that the prices charged for it reflect this limited supply.

I'm not sure how you can be sure of this. There are still Brazilian Rosewood trees in Brazil and people still cut them down and illegally export the wood for any number of uses. I have friends in Brazil who have Brazilian Rosewood trees growing on their property and they're well aware that they can sell them for good money to illicit wood dealers. Honestly, when I see straight grain BRW in this day and age, I assume there is a good chance that it was harvested illegally.
Old 03-30-2024, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I'm not sure how you can be sure of this. There are still Brazilian Rosewood trees in Brazil and people still cut them down and illegally export the wood for any number of uses. I have friends in Brazil who have Brazilian Rosewood trees growing on their property and they're well aware that they can sell them for good money to illicit wood dealers. Honestly, when I see straight grain BRW in this day and age, I assume there is a good chance that it was harvested illegally.
That is another possibility indeed!
Old 03-31-2024, 01:32 PM

Some good discussion here guys. To whomever made the point about a reasonable up-charge for Brazilian I never thought about that. After checking out some Brazilian Bourgeois and Santa Cruz and a few others , their upcharge is very very high!
Old 03-31-2024, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMich View Post
Some good discussion here guys. To whomever made the point about a reasonable up-charge for Brazilian I never thought about that. After checking out some Brazilian Bourgeois and Santa Cruz and a few others , their upcharge is very very high!
$10,000 is not unusual. Add in some of the reclaimed redwood or spruce like SCGC has, and you can have a $25000 guitar real quick.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion