The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 07:01 PM

Default Sam Ash closing ALL stores ...

https://www.samash.com/closing-stores

I've never been inside a Sam Ash store and I don't know if I have ever seen the outside of one. I did order an electric Epiphone SL from a store a few years ago when they came out at $99 new and got a swell discount deal with good customer service ... actually great customer service.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-02-2024, 07:05 PM

Kinda sad, but not surprising.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I’m not surprised either. The store closest to me on I-45 in Houston is in a terrible neighborhood and the store never had more than a couple of decent guitars. Mostly cheap stuff.

I wonder if they are going to have a fire sale?
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-02-2024, 07:40 PM

It's sad. It was the oldest family owned music store in the US. But the retail model has shifted. And, I suspect it was hard to maintain relationships with creditors after Sammy Ash died.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

While I haven't been to Sam Ash in sometime, it is a drag to hear they are closing. They've been around a long time...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-02-2024, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post

...I wonder if they are going to have a fire sale?
Sam Ash having a fire sale, eh?

Very good. I was going to try to come up with some kind of word play on "Ash," but you can't get much better than that, one must assume.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

End of an era indeed. Hard to believe the NYC Sam Ash I used to pop into periodically before hopping on the train at Penn Station won't be there anymore.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 05-02-2024, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

We have one in town, I have never been to it and have never bought anything from them online.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Bummer, I bought a 2018 Taylor 714CE from their San Diego location. I preferred their store to our other big box retailer. Although, they never had a really good selection of the mid range guitars...

I'm sad to see them go.

Scott
Old 05-03-2024, 12:02 AM

Checked and it looks like most/all of their prices are simply "original prices" changed to full retail and the "sale" price is now the same as all other vendors. Nothing special yet.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Sad to hear. I bought my first nice acoustic at Sam Ash. It was an HD-28. I later bought my J-45 and a Les Paul standard from them. This isn't particularly surprising news as they have been on a downhill slide for a while. They never really adapted to the Omnichannel environment, IMO. Their website was/is terrible, and I think the only way to survive as a big box brick and mortar retailer is to have a significant online presence as well as GC/MF is trying to do.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 05-03-2024, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I didn't even know that they had stores. I guess I thought there was a Sam Ash store somewhere at some time, but I thought they just sold on line and were using the name.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-03-2024, 07:02 AM

I've never purchased anything larger than a strap from Sam Ash but it's sad to see them go. The biggest bummer for me is that they were a pretty large retailer of school band instruments and supplies. I know that that industry has moved online like everything else but if you needed a mouthpiece, a reed, some rosin, a string for your cello or whatever, they had that stuff in stock.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:17 AM

Based on what I have read, they are closing their brick-and-mortar operations. Which suggests that they will switch to just an online retail operation.

Quote:
Speaking to amNew York Metro at the time of those closures, Sam Ash had said the “company must continue to adapt to ensure its continued success” as it looks toward the next 100 years of its operations.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:08 AM

The few Sam Ash stores I have been in have always been busy and a good selection of instruments in all price points.

I was in the Sarasota store. Of course the high dollar electrics were behind the counter. I was eyeballing a Gibson SG, Blueberry burst. The gentleman behind the counter asked if he could help.

I told him I was just looking, was on vacation and wouldn't be spending a few thousand on a guitar. He then asked, What are you looking at? I told him and the next thing I know he's pulling it down.

He then asked any particular amp and I told him I always thought Gibson sounded good through a Marshall. So he sets me up on a Marshall and I play for the next 30 to 45 minutes.

I did end up purchasing a Levy strap and a Music Nomad cleaning kit.

Every other Sam Ash I have been in the service was the same. It's a shame they are closing. I hate ordering online, I like to put my hands on what I am purchasing before I put down my hard earned money.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion