The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2024, 09:14 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughn, especially as a guitarist. I rather like his singing voice. But his playing leaves me cold. Should be limited to dorm rooms.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Probably not a popular opinion around here but, Tommy Emmanuel. He's certainly very skilled, but his music just feels like soulless noodling to impress guitar players. It's not that I don't like solo guitar music. I can even appreciate Steve Vai as I feel he does what the music calls for. But, to take a tender, traditional song and noodle all over it grates on my nerves. Players like Eric Skye and Matt Palmer convey far more emotion to me and never feel like they are adding more than the piece calls for. Sometimes, less is more.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:52 AM

I acknowledge the fine musicianship of the following, but they just do me wrong:

Billy Joel
Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks era)
Genesis (post Peter Gabriel)

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-04-2024, 03:39 PM

Default Bands you don't like but everyone else does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Probably not a popular opinion around here but, Tommy Emmanuel. He's certainly very skilled, but his music just feels like soulless noodling to impress guitar players. It's not that I don't like solo guitar music. I can even appreciate Steve Vai as I feel he does what the music calls for. But, to take a tender, traditional song and noodle all over it grates on my nerves. Players like Eric Skye and Matt Palmer convey far more emotion to me and never feel like they are adding more than the piece calls for. Sometimes, less is more.

Agreed. Tommy Emmanuel seems like a good dude, but he just plays guitar. I like the people who play music.

That said, he’s not as bad as U2.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:22 PM

To me Bruce Springsteen ..And the Eagles ………..
Old 02-07-2024, 07:35 PM

Van Halen (weren't so overrated w/the Red Rocker, though)
Cream
Derek and the Dominoes
Old 02-07-2024, 08:06 PM

#1 is absolutely Eagles.

I can recognize that many of the songs they have written are classics, but in my opinion, most of their arrangements just don't rock at all... way too soft & bland sounding... they might as well be the Bee Gees, except the Eagles have always been positioned as a rock band, while the Bee Gees are disco and their sound fits that genre. And that's even before considering the fact that they refuse to allow their music to be used anywhere at all (even on people's social media accounts) and their insistence on being called "Eagles" as opposed to "The Eagles"...

U2 is probably next on my list, but I have less strong feelings about them. Their songs are generally just "ok" (somewhere along the lines of where I would place Coldplay), but then they act like they're The Rolling Stones or something when they're just nowhere close to being that cool...
Old 02-07-2024, 08:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmalex View Post
#1 is absolutely Eagles.

I can recognize that many of the songs they have written are classics, but in my opinion, most of their arrangements just don't rock at all... way too soft & bland sounding... they might as well be the Bee Gees, except the Eagles have always been positioned as a rock band, while the Bee Gees are disco and their sound fits that genre. And that's even before considering the fact that they refuse to allow their music to be used anywhere at all (even on people's social media accounts) and their insistence on being called "Eagles" as opposed to "The Eagles".
I could be wrong, but my understanding is...not really. In their earlier days when Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner were still with the band, the Eagles were more on the country-ish side of music, but Glenn Frey in particular was never happy with their sound, wanting the Eagles to be more of a rock band. Not in agreement with the direction the band was heading, first Leadon, then Meisner left. Enter Don Felder, then hired gun Joe Walsh. Frey then had the “rock” band he’d always wanted. Personally, I LOVE the Eagles music...all of it, from. Ego I gotta to end. The backstory, not so much.

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-07-2024 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:25 PM

Grateful Dead
Hootie & the Blowfish
Old 02-07-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding is...not really. In their earlier days when Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner were still with the band, the Eagles were more on the country-ish side of music, but Glenn Frey in particular was never happy with their sound, wanting the Eagles to be more of a rock band. Not in agreement with the direction the band was heading, first Leadon, then Meisner left. Enter Don Felder, then hired gun Joe Walsh. Frey then had the “rock” band he’d always wanted. Personally, I LOVE the Eagles music...all of it, from. Ego I gotta to end. The backstory, not so much.
Well I guess to me their music has never really sounded any more "country" than most other American classic rock bands from that era... they all sound a little country by more modern standards.

I do think it's odd that Frey would be the one pushing for more of a "rock band" vibe as Frey's vocals have always been one of the primary factors that gives the band the overly soft-rock sound that I mostly attribute to the band.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:11 PM

The Doors!

To me, its like organ - elevator music. Just not a fan.

Sorry...
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
2023 Martin HD-28E LRB
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8
Old 02-21-2024, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

U2, Matthews, Phish.

Reo, Kansas, Styxx, Foreigner.

But I really didn’t go for Zep, The Beatles or Petty until I was in my 60’s, so maybe there is hope for me yet.

In the jazz world I have really tried to dig Ornette Coleman, but I guess I’m not hip enough to figure out his approach to melody or rhythm. Same thing with most jazz fusion. That Miles album with the initials BB, it’s not for me.

I’m a failed bluegrass fan. Love Marty Stuart (I know he crosses boundaries) but most of it I have a hard time with, unless I’m in a bar 😄

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 02-22-2024, 02:18 AM

I'll ruffle some feathers here, but John Prine does nothing for me.

And Bob Dylan.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:41 AM

U2. What do people think is good about them?
Old 02-22-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
U2. What do people think is good about them?
War was a good album but that was 40 years ago.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic