The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 PM

Default NRGD! Gretsch Honey Dipper brass body resonator.

It came Wednesday so I am a little late with my post but I have been extremely busy this week. This site was definitely responsible for the GAS attack that ended with the arrival of this baby.

Here is the picture from the website:

and mine hanging with his new family:

Being that it is a brass body, a whole lot of different pictures like I would normally do seem pointless. I think it looks great though. If you want to see anything in particular feel free to ask. Mine is a limited Honey Dipper "special" which means it is swamp green instead of gray and it has a bound finger board and extra decoration on the head stock.

I love the sound and the action on it is pretty low compared to what I was expecting. It makes it a little tougher to use a slide but I am managing pretty well so far. As far as regular playing it's a breeze.

The guitar is pretty darn heavy but I was expecting that. The V neck takes some getting used to for me but it's not bad. Certainly different from my other guitars though.

Overall I am really enjoying it. Being new to resonators it's probably not fair if I review it as I have very little to compare it to. I will simply say it seems well built, it's lovely, sounds great and I dig it.

I welcome and encourage any suggestions for easy songs for someone just starting out with a resonator and slide. Please!

Last edited by 44Runner; 10-17-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
I welcome and encourage any suggestions for easy songs for someone just starting out with a resonator and slide. Please!
These books helped me immeasurably when I was starting to play acoustic slide in open G:

Old 10-18-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
These books helped me immeasurably when I was starting to play acoustic slide in open G:

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into those.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

That looks great… congratulations! Love to hear what it sounds like if you feel like posting a clip.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
That looks great… congratulations! Love to hear what it sounds like if you feel like posting a clip.
Honestly I'm not sure I could do it any justice but I will try to throw something together if I get some time.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 AM

Sweet! Congrats 44. Good luck on your new endeavor. Don't neglect your acoustics though
Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! Congrats 44. Good luck on your new endeavor. Don't neglect your acoustics though
I wouldn't dream of it.

This new resonator is filling to spot on the wall my Cordoba was hanging. I decided Nylon just wasn't my thing. I never played it. Great guitar but not for me. Thinking I might sell it....
Old 10-18-2014, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Really nice. I bet it has a warm sound resulting from the brass body. Congrats!!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Really nice. I bet it has a warm sound resulting from the brass body. Congrats!!
It sounds great. It's an amazing instrument for the price.

Funny story. I went down to my local music store to pick up some thumb picks (got some finger picks and metal slide too). I learned quickly that my normal finger style without a thumb pick didn't have a hard enough attack for the resonator. While there I was explaining to the guys working my new endeavor and one of the instructors said he love playing slide so he brought me in the teaching room and showed me the basics. It was SUPER helpful. He pulled up a couple youtube clips clips to show me some cool artists to check out. I told him to pull up your video with the Gretsch Boxcar and said I want to be a quarter as good as that guy (you). This instructor had a smile on his face the whole time. He loved it. Lots of wows and other exclamations while viewing. Thanks for putting that out.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:42 AM

Check out Bob Brozman for instructional Youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Ua2lNmIK8
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Check out Bob Brozman for instructional Youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Ua2lNmIK8
Thanks for the link! I'll check those out.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:03 AM

I have one of those (but not green) and I love it! I don't play much slide but it sure gives fingerstyle blues a different sound.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion