The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 PM

Default An Introduction and Near-NGD

Hello all,

I've been lurking around for a few months and I've been enjoying the atmosphere and repartee around here, so I thought I might join in on some of the discussion.

A bit about myself, I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, but have been playing music since I was 9 (now 32). Played viola and piano until I picked up guitar, with some time off in between each. I like all kinds of stuff, and lately bluesy and folksy stuff has been my interest. My guitar stable is 3, and nothing remotely high-end. I've got an entry level Ibanez RG electric, an Agile AL-3000 CSB, and a Jasmine by Takamine S34C. I'd like to get nicer stuff as the years go by, but am not in any hurry. These all sound great and play easy enough for me.

My listening audience is my wife, 3 month old daughter, and our shepherd/foxhound mutt.

So, for the near-NGD story: I left work early today for a doctor's appointment. The appointment was finished earlier than I expected, and there was still some time before I had to pick up the kiddo from daycare. So, I popped over to the local GC and headed into the acoustic room. Even though I'm not exactly shopping for a new guitar, I like to play other instruments from time to time. I the Taylor GS Mini and Big Baby, a Seagull folk model. And then I picked up a slotted headstock, sunburst finished, Alvarez parlor steel-string guitar. I believe its model number was AP610ESB. Anyhow, this guitar was a joy to play. I've never really entertained the idea of a parlor guitar, as I've always found dreadnought shapes more appealing. But I was really very impressed by the midrange of this guitar, I could hear every note of the chords I was playing. I know most people fingerpick a parlor guitar, but I am a rhythm guy, so I strummed. Could get pretty loud for its diminutive size, but I still didn't lose any of the clarity. I could have lived maybe with a little more bass, but the clear tone made up for the lack of boom. The neck was very comfortable, and the nut width of 1 3/4" made fretting first-position chords very comfy. The pricetag of $399 was hugely appealing, and were it not for our mortgage and other bills, I may have walked out of the store with that guitar today. I am sorely, sorely tempted though. May have to pick up a couple photography gigs to fund this GAS.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to me!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Welcome to the forum!

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Welcome, Bard!

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Welcome to the forum. And be aware the more time you spend on here the more guitars you will be buying. I hope you have an understanding wife
Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Welcome to the AGF.

You'll find it a good place.

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi Bard,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds as if you did the right thing--you walked out without making a snap purchase.

I've found that a day or so of consideration ain't a bad thing. If you're still thinking on it Monday, perhaps you really want a parlor.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum! Those Alvarez parlors are nice. I'm probably going to pickup the all hog, solid wood model this coming year (hopefully it will be in stock by then, lol):

http://www.samash.com/mpa66shb-maste...ar-ampa66shb-p

We're paying for college so I understand the budgetary issues. Don't blink because your daughter will be going to college soon too!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 10-17-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Bard! Yeah...you definitely aren't ready for another guitar. LOL
Enjoy your new Parlor guitar !
Old 10-18-2014, 06:37 AM

Hi Bard, Welcome to the AGF. Many people lurk for months prior to joining (like myself).

How did you become the Bard of Muir?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

...welcome Bard of Muir....as it happens i played one of those Alvarez parlors at the local GC yesterday and was quite impressed....great looks...played very nicely and the tone was pretty darn good....i'd say its an excellent value...especially with the 15 percent off sale that GC is currently running...and it has built in electronics....
Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I slept on it and concluded that there are more necessary monetary investments to be made to my house. So, freed from the temptation, I went back to GC and played it again with a more objective outlook. Glad I didn't succumb to the impulse, as I find that I really do like a little more boom to the bottom end. Still a gorgeous instrument with just about the most comfortable neck I've ever held. Oh well. Found an Ibanez mahogany OM sized guitar that's nice too. May have to come back and consider that one when money opens up a bit.

As for the screen name, I live in an area called Muir Field, and I wanted the name to be Bard of Muir Field, but it wouldn't fit when I registered. When I registered, is been on a big Irish folk guitar kick, so "bard" came to mind.

Thanks again for the welcome!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome indeed. friends among friends.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion