The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Have some research to do now.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I've been using the Body Glove for years. It's lightweight, extremely durable and very affordable.

http://www.samash.com/body-glove-bgh...I5sRoCLOjw_wcB

interesting. My impression was that they stopped making them years ago - likely why Sam Ash is the only dealer and has only limited quantities. I had one of their electric guitar bags. It was nicely made but the size and shape were way off so I had to add a lot of additional padding to keep a tele from bouncing all over the place. If the size was correct for the OP's guitar, it would be worth a consideration.
that's me on guitar
Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 PM

I would never use a gig-bag so my recommendation would be to check out the TRIC cases. Hard-case protection with gig-bag weight.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Default i use high quality gigbags for every instrument i own

I'm a huge fan of gigbags-well made ones that is. We carry acoustic guitars, mountain dulcimers, clawhammer banjos, ukuleles, mandolins and weissenborns in high quality gigbags. some of these instruments are valued at $3000 and up. Never had an issue and love the lighter weight and ease of getting in and out of a car, and the fit to our body when they sling over one shoulder and off you go.

My favorites have already been listed, i'll add in some previous reviews I've done and some thoughts of late.

You have available a couple nice import bags with ReunionBlues, Mono, and Access.
The ReunionBlues will be the largest in size of all, and actually will be larger than your hardcase right now. Its a big bag-very protective, but big.

Mono I like a lot-like these better than RB myself as they are svelte in appearance and very protective, about the same size as your hardcase and lighter than the RB. I find I like the placement of the backpack straps on Mono bags quite well-they are ergonomic and fit nice.

Access are well made, cheaper in price and weight than the RB and Mono(not sure about the stage 3). Very good bags for the price.

For hand made, I really like BlueHeron. We have around 7 of these bags for acoustics, mountain dulcimers, and mandolins. All fit great, pack and handle great, huge heavy duty zippers. Much lighter in weight and less size than the RB or Mono bags. My personal thought after having owned bags from RB, Mono, and Blue Heron: if you are throwing or dropping your instrument off a building or tossing out a multi story window, go with RB, then Mono, lastly BlueHeron. If you are traveling everyday on a train, car, subway, packing your instrument, rarely drop your cased instrument but may hit it against a wall or door, might at some point in your lifetime loss grip and it slides down a couple flights of stairs-the BlueHeron is perfect.

ReunionBlues makes the Continental(the mother of all gigbags) and the vintage series(slightly smaller and less bulky than the Continental).

Zippers: very very important. I want a zipper that will probably outlast me, one that zips smooth without hangups, and easy to use. BlueHeron is tops. I rank RB and Mono together in 2nd place. Access is smooth, but the bags I own(clawhammer banjo and Mandolin), the zippers are smaller and less "industrial" than the others. Works well, just not sure for how long.

Price: BlueHerron will set you back around $250 (based on the size/model of what you are ordering)and that's with the inside neck bag-highly recommended. Lots of custom options available.

RB Continental:around $209, vintage bag if you find them, around $179
They have a new line called RBX line-around $125. I like these a lot, and I think they are priced and competitive with Mono bags. Smaller in size and weight than the Continental series.

Mono M80:$229

Access: stage one around $119/ stage three around $169

One big big concern to watch for: how does the bag carry when using the strap/straps? some of the bags(RB comes to mind) will hang from the back or a shoulder and the bag is carried high-much higher than your head-it tugs at your back and if you are not careful, you can bang to top of the instrument into a low doorframe. It looks odd, and feels odd. the weight is not distributed correct.
The Mono bags I have carry the headstock of the instrument low down and near head height, which I like better. Different models may carry different so be aware of this.
Access tend to carry the headstock region above the head.

BlueHeron carry correct and almost feel weightless when using the sling-you can carry it diagonal across the chest, or slung over one shoulder. It blends into your back and hangs low.

I do not know about the Cronkite bag regarding this.

places to find these bags: amazon, zzounds, chicagomusic exchange, musiciansfriend, elderlys

call blueheron, husband and wife team.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...eheron+gigbags

I have not owned or used a glenn cronkhite bag. they come highly recommended by owners, look extremely durable and classy. from what I've read, Glenn started the high end gigbag industry. I have no idea of cost. He has a nice website to read and learn.

good luck
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 10-18-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Have cut the list to Access stage 3 and the Reunion Blues RBX. Lifetime warrenty on the RBX

Again, Thanks for the help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion