The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 05:06 PM

Default Gig Bag Recommendations

Am taking lessons and they take place in a downtown location. Parking can be a problem so a hard case gets to a bit heavy at times. Any help with gigbag, softcase, maybe abs. Just something lighter and protective for a $1000 OM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Check out the Access bags, I bought one for my Rainsong and it is top notch. Good padding and perfect fit.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascal View Post
Am taking lessons and they take place in a downtown location. Parking can be a problem so a hard case gets to a bit heavy at times. Any help with gigbag, softcase, maybe abs. Just something lighter and protective for a $1000 OM.

I have been schlepping the guitar around town in a Stagg hard gig bag. I am dubious as to its longevity and the zipper seems so-so, but it seems to provide really really good protection around town and it is super light. You can get on the subway with it and not worry. I think it was around $100. I just felt like an idiot carrying one of those Geib cases around and having it always banging into things. There may be a company that makes a higher-quality version of this type of thing. But it is the best solution i've yet seen for around-town use.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 PM

I love this bag/case.
http://reunionblues.com/product/170/RBA2

Ho'okani

Kamaka Ukulele 6 String
Tahitian Ukulele 8 String
Ovation 12 String
Ovation Elite 12 String
Adamas 1598 12 String
Takamine 6 String
Taylor K64ce All Koa 12 String
Old 10-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Check out the Access bags, I bought one for my Rainsong and it is top notch. Good padding and perfect fit.
I'm a gig bag guy and my guitars spend 99%+ of their time in quality gig bags.

The Access level 3 is a very nice bag at a reasonable price. In the under $150 price range, it would certainly be my choice. Elderly carries them. Lots of folk like the Mono M80 or the RB Continental, both of which will cost considerably more than the Access for similar protection. Then there are the custom made bags from Blue Heron, Glenn Cronkhite, and Colorado Case Co. I really like Cronkhite and Blue Heron. They will be lighter weight, smaller and easier to carry, fit perfectly, significantly more expensive, and probably less protective than the Access.

FWIW, I own a Cronkhite (love it), a Mono (nice bag but I wouldn't buy one again), Incase (no acoustic bags, would choose an Access or Contigo above it now although it is a great bag), and a Protec Contigo (like it but no acoustic bags). Through the years I have also owned TKL, Levys, Reunion Blues, Bodyglove, Taylor, and an Access level 1.
that's me on guitar
Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 PM

Default gig bag

To Royd's list, I'd add a Fusion. It's a quality bag in every sense of the word and quite protective. Not small or cheap, however.

And I will echo that an Access is very good. I have one of their cheaper ones and am impressed with the protection it affords for the dollar. No bells and whistles, however.

I was negatively impressed with Boulder. I use them for a banjo and a National, so they don't badly need the protection they don't get.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Wascal,
Have you checked out Travelite? One of my buddies has one that is featherlight and very protective.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I've been using the Body Glove for years. It's lightweight, extremely durable and very affordable.

http://www.samash.com/body-glove-bgh...I5sRoCLOjw_wcB

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Reunion Blues Continental is a superb bag. I use that for my classical all the time. That said, it is heavier than other bags.

Jon
Old 10-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

This case is the best case I ever owned. I'm normally not a fan of hard gig bags but this one is fantastic. I wouldn't stand on it since its not a hard sided case, but I believe dropping a guitar down a stair or something would have the best chance of surviving in this bag.

I am seriously thinking of switching from my taylor deluxe hard case to one if I can find one that fits my GC as well as this one fit my Mini.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=&c=136&s=75

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Timely for me as I'm looking for a bag for my baritone. Nothing seems big enough except acoustic bass guitar bags, but those are usually too long. The Michael Kelly acoustic bass bag is on my short list but i can't get dimensions from anywhere. Anyone have recommendations (or sizing for that bag)?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Another nod for the Access hard gig bag. The Stage Three is very similar to the Taylor GSmini gig bag (one of the best, IMHO). I bought an Access bag for carrying my RainSong Shorty - makes a great travel companion.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Aaargh !

I'm on the market for several gig bags (some of mine are dying, plus 2 new guitars coming home…), so this thread is right on time for me.

So I go to the Access website, look at the close out page, find *exactly* what I'm looking for, the price is nice, and… find out that these guys don't accept non US customers.

I hate that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 PM

I'm a fan of Blue Herron. Well made protective bags made by really good people.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:16 PM

I've gotta say that I love the Mono Case bags. I have the M80 dread case that fits all my dreads and GA guitars. I also have the tenor uke and pedalboard cases. What I like best about these cases is that the padding is substantially protective (I've accidentally dropped it with no issues), it's built with quality materials and design, and it looks super sharp as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion