The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 AM

Thanks for all the thoughts here. I am surprised to by the lack of interest in Terz tuning? Martin has made special editions of their 5-18 Terz many times over the years. I think people are probably taken back by their high price, but never see anyone with a Terz? Sting I guess uses one.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
The Tacoma Papoose has a 19.1" scale and was DESIGNED for A to A tuning with STANDARD LIGHT GAUGE strings, ie. 012 to 053. I tune mine to the "DADGAD" version of A (that is, GDGCDG) using a custom set of EXP strings (012, 015, 023, 030, 039, 053) that is essentially a "true light" gauge set, that is strings 1, 2 and 6 are light gauge and strings 3, 4 and 5 (which in ALL commercial sets of strings are, in my opinion, over-gauged with far more tension than they need...look at the string-to-string tension on ANY set of strings and see for yourself) are an extra-light gauge.
Thanks Phil. You are right on more frequent using the string tension calculator. Regarding the Papoosa, I have recently purchased a Viellette Avante and although I have not played on the Papoosa I have a hard time believing that the sound quality is going to surpass the Viellette. Although, the Avante is a great and unique sounding guitar it doesn't really offer the sound you get from a terz guitar. The Avante is rather a unique sound of it's own with what I consider 50% of what you can associate with a guitar and 50% of something totally different. So the reason for starting this thread was again to see if a short scale guitar (less than 500 dollars) guitar could be turned into a nashville combined terz guitar. There are many options for this....(although the Fylde prove that the options could be even more):

1) Taylor GS mini
2) Walden 1/2 size (don't remember the model)
3) Sigma TM15 or TM12
4) Martin 5 size of course but then again we are way above the 500-dish dollars limit.
5) Viellette terz (again pricey)
6) Sometimes old Harmony or vintage guitars come up on ebay but you just don't know how far from a repair job these guitars are.

7) There are other traveller size options but I have found their sound to be very boxy.

Thanks for all your comments. I guess I just have to get myself to different shops which may have these guitars and test them out.

/

http://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensmile/videos

Guitars:

1) Greenfield G1 fanned fret (Moon spruce /Malaysian blackwood)

2) Furch Little Jane

3) Loef 12 string high strung parlour
Old 10-18-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
well, I did run the question by Taylor and the answer was basically.."no we never tried it. Do it and see what happens and adjust the trust rod once in a while"...

//
Quite surprising, considering that, I'm fairly certain, Taylor did write about try tuning the Baby Taylor a full-step up: (F#-F#) a few years ago.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Certainly agree these calculators can be useful as a quick and easy rule of thumb to get you into the right general area of what might be worth trying. The tensions of the Heritage strings will be lower than these charts give though, as the core/wrap ration is different from other strings, including Newtones own Masterclass series, which I use on my other instruments.
That's why I prefer my spreadsheet, Keith. If the string maker publishes the unit weight of the strings, as D'Addario does, then you can tailor the results to the actual strings. The D'addario link provides the equation:

Tension = (Unit Weight x (2 x Scale Length x Frequency)^2) / 386.4

Note that Unit Weights here have to be in pounds per linear foot. It's pretty simple to set up a spreadsheet to play with the possibilities...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
It is possible to overthink these things. Just go ahead and experiment, taking sensible precautions as I mentioned earlier.

To be honest I doubt you'll find one string set suitable for Terz and standard pitches, but you never know. The Terz tuning and tension will be the crucial factor as you can't go too heavy on the string gauge there. Tuning down to standard is likely to feel floppy, but you'll never really know until you try.

Good luck.

And thanks again to all for kind comments on the video. Newtone have put it on their Facebook page too!

Keith
You're right in saying that it's over-ambitious to find a set of strings that can serve both purposes which are quite different. It would be great to have the gs mini do both though (with different strings of course). I'll try the newtones and go from there. Thanks!

Phil, thanks for the tip on the string tension calculator. I've been using that to see if I can get in the same ballpark tension wise and it appears to be quite possible (though Keith has already proven that).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion