The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
I just play the old stuff, no problems with gigs. You won't hear me playing, "Hey There Delilah." For one thing , I sing too well.
Then you should play "Rhythm of Love!"
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I feel too old to play acoustic music in bars anymore. I don't wanna try and stay current.just saw some friends tonight playin newer tunes. it just seems wrong.....I like to play what I like to play.guess i'll stick to the farmers markets and wait out the winter months. ...just raggin! ha!
I don't care. Never did. For the most part I'm confident that I deliver well and usually better than the 30-40 y/o kids I've seen. Younger than that and you're really screwed. First of all, the music isn't acoustic venue stuff, 2nd, it isn't even played well by the original artists so, 3rd, you have no place to go but down if you cover it. Both my son's, 15 and 21, cover 70's songs. So, rag if you feel like it but the music you cover sells.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 PM

thanks for the vote of confidence.[something I'm losing as the years go by]. I'm 60.i played the last farmers market this morning ,then tonight a party of 30 and 40 somethings.i'll see how I go over.this is my last gig of the year ;I think.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence.[something I'm losing as the years go by]. I'm 60.i played the last farmers market this morning ,then tonight a party of 30 and 40 somethings.i'll see how I go over.this is my last gig of the year ;I think.
really your 60 and you think your too old ?
Your just a kid , compared to some of the " old as dirt crowd "
that hangs out around here -keep on a plugging -
Old 10-18-2014, 03:17 PM

No problem. The majority of Irish and American fiddle tunes I do are over 100 themselves. Anything from the 19th century is "contemporary" music.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:37 PM

I went to the Adirondack Museum two summers ago. It's both indoors and outdoors. I heard music off in the distance and was drawn to it, so I followed it until I found an "old" guy sitting on a bench playing slide guitar on a 1950's Dobro. I stopped to talk with him. He inspired me so much that I snapped his picture, and bought a slide guitar the next day. Now I can play slide (kind of).

That guy could be you. Or me. Or anyone else young or old who's up to the task. Talent is a gift to be shared with everyone. It's always a waste to put it on a shelf.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
I don't want to play out for other people. I want to play for myself. I don't want to take requests for songs I don't know. I don't want to deal with any bar owners who demand you play this or that, or try to cheat you out of your pay. I don't want to play for people who won't stop talking while I'm playing. I don't want to hear anybody booing me. I don't need it. I'm very content to sit at home and play for myself. I'm very content to make recordings and share them with friends and family only. I'm very content to share a recording with a friend who will jam along with my recording and send it back to me. If I feel like playing "Freebird" I'll play it. If I feel like writing an original piece of music, I'll do just that. If I want to do a jam session with my friends I will. I'm busy enough without even thinking about playing in a stinky old bar with a bunch of drunks.
I've got to admit this resonates true for me as well, except it's "Down By The River" instead of "Freebird"

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Saw Tony Joe White last night doing Polk Salad Annie with the Foo Fighters on Letterman. That's old, but he was quite hip if you ask me.
Tony Joe White is so cool!

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

I only play older music for covers. Only new music I play is mine and it is usually about half of a 3 hour gig. Just tell people I am playing from my older sisters album collection to pay tribute to those songwriters. When people askme to play comt music I tell them that I do. Mine. But then I no longer play cover only gigs. I am an artist and figured out that you must act like one if you are to ne taken seriously. Mot knocking cover players at all...been there done that. I always found that if you are good...people will come to you andd kike what you choose to do.......or not. If you are trying to please all....very difficult.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion