The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Default too old

I feel too old to play acoustic music in bars anymore. I don't wanna try and stay current.just saw some friends tonight playin newer tunes. it just seems wrong.....I like to play what I like to play.guess i'll stick to the farmers markets and wait out the winter months. ...just raggin! ha!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I think it's appropriate to stick to whatever crowd you're comfortable with. I got into acoustics when I got in my 30's and I felt silly playing punk/hard rock. Gotta go with whatever suits you at the time.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM

I used to worry about keeping age appropriate when I was playing more. I still think its the right thing to do. Besides, I can't rap worth a darn.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 PM

I keep getting invitations to sit in at open mics around here but it's been over a year since I played in public. I'm a little rusty, too, but my younger friends enjoy playing with me so sooner or later I'm gonna get back up there. I miss it.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 PM
Guest4562

I just play the old stuff, no problems with gigs. You won't hear me playing, "Hey There Delilah." For one thing , I sing too well.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Most of what I play is from the 60s and 70s. Occasionally, an 80s song might sneak in there. Play what you enjoy.

I will say, "I'd like to do a medley of Justin Bieber's hits... nah, just kidding - here's some real music."

I last played in a bar over 30 years ago. Don't miss it a bit. There are corporate gatherings and private parties that pay better, with a more pleasant atmosphere. Hit up the hotels in your area that book conventions; introduce yourself to the person that handles events. Groups will often be looking for someone to play for a social hour.

Captain Jim
Old 10-15-2014, 09:11 PM

I sometimes wondered if , at 63, it was worth persevering. . .

About a month ago I met a lovely fellah called Ian, who jams with a jazz trio on Sunday afternoons, at my local pub .

He revealed to me , over a beer and a ciggie, outside, during their interval, that he is 83 !

He plays guitar AND sings on pitch. A shining inspiration to me.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 PM

Play where you enjoy playing, that is what it is all about. You want to enjoy playing not battle a club owner.
Ovation Balladeer
Takamine Classical
Taylor Baby

"I am getting better everyday in everyway!" - Zig Ziglar
"There are no bad notes being played just wrong resolutions!" - RLH
"Make Everyday Your Masterpiece" - John Wooden
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 AM

I remember seeing a friend with a sixteen year old daughter sing "she was just 17"... and I knew then it was time to retire that song.

I also was playing a benefit concert for a kid with a makeshift band and they suggested we play "cocaine." Arrgh. Seriously???

People seem to forget that songs have words?@??!?!?

As far as "age appropriate" I really like a lot of new music so I play any music I like as long as the lyrics are aligned with what I think/feel. I will never drop a song because of what people might think.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
I play any music I like as long as the lyrics are aligned with what I think/feel.
I will admit that I don't do a few songs because I cannot abide what the lyrics say. But for the most part I realize that this is acting and it's the character in the song, not me, telling the story. Consequently, although I have never smoked and dislike all references to smoking, I have no problem doing, for example, "South City Midnight Lady,"
Old 10-16-2014, 05:05 AM

Interesting........

I'm at that crossroad right now but, from the other perspective.

Since 1980, I've been playing in different bands doing bars, club, weddings, corporate gigs.....the whole "chicken and pasta" circuit and now, as I approach 62 years old, I'm starting to consider slowing down and mellowing out.

My primary instrument has always been the bass but, I taught myself to play acoustic guitar about 15 years ago.

In our area, bass and keyboard players aren't easy to come by. As a result, I'm pretty sure I could work 7 nights a week if I wanted but, I'm tired.

I'm tired of only being known as a "bass player" and relegated to playing my acoustic guitar in my basement so, I'm thinking about backing off the electric scene and focusing more on the acoustic stuff.

Along with learning to play guitar, I've also attended some of the free home recording classes that Guitar Center holds every so often and am interested in pursuing that avenue a little more..........
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 10-16-2014, 05:10 AM

I can relate to the OP. I rarely listen to new music. If it came out after 1983, I probably don't have it in my record collection.

However, I've been getting hired by younger (in their 20s/30s) singers the last few years and I've been pleasantly surprised to find quite of bit of new music on their set lists that I actually enjoy playing. Its out there - you just have to look to find it.

Here are a couple examples:

You Never Need Nobody - by The Lone Bellow

Babylon - by David Gray

Secret - by Maroon 5

Those tunes above may not float your boat if you are getting AARP letters in your mailbox, but I bet there is some new music out there you'd like if you could just find it. It just probably won't be on the radio.

Last edited by 815C; 10-16-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:20 AM

And yet, nobody takes issue with a 10 year old doing "Folsom Prison Blues"
Old 10-16-2014, 05:30 AM

I've mostly stopped performing as a juggler because there is a big difference between a 20-something hyper-active juggler and a balding 40-something hyper-active juggler. Sad but true...

As a side note, if you go into a nursing home, the music you hear playing is the music that the residents love. Typically, folks love the music of their youth. That means sometime in the future, you will walk into a nursing home and hear the quaint, old-timey music of Justin Beiber and maybe some gangster rap.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 AM

I had to throw this in the mix here. I'm turning 65 soon and have been thinking I'm too old for bar room open mics. Last Sat. my local pub had a open mic ,there was a guy who was 89 years old , he had to be led up to the mic...he was also blind! His voice was amazingly strong, probably stronger than most of the players there, including mine.

Moral of the story, Just keep doing what you are doing if you enjoy it!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion