The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
When did they change? Mine's a 2011, bought in 2012...definitely still had 80/20's on it when I bought it.

Interesting...learn something new every day.
Couple of years ago, so your guitar might have been one of the last to ship out with 80/20's.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Mythology!

80/20's will be brighter for the first few hours of play...but they'll relax much quicker than PB and settle in much darker.

Taylors come with 80/20's. So people fall in love, put on new strings (usually their favorite PB) and wonder how things got so bright
Although I haven't used either type for a long time, I agree with your assessment that you get a darker tone from 80/20's than PB after they settle in.

Last edited by SOR; 10-14-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Mythology!

80/20's will be brighter for the first few hours of play...but they'll relax much quicker than PB and settle in much darker
I tend to agree with this. 80/20s start out brighter than PB but lose their zing faster than PB.
On really bright sounding guitars, I like well played-in 80/20s.
1967 Guild D-50 (Hoboken, NJ)
1975 Guild D-25 M (Westerly, RI)
2001 Tacoma DM9 (Tacoma, WA)
2003 Martin D-18GE (Nazareth, PA
)

"Oh, What a life a mess can be!" - Uncle Tupelo
Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
You're reading this thread, right?
Weird. I did a search for the word "retro" in this thread before I asked and nothing came back.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
It dawns on me that I rarely see a x10 Taylor.
I know they are out there. But I'd wager that the x14 is the most popular of the full size guitars coming out of the Tsylor factory.

And those guitars have a certain voice. They were designed to complement Kathy Mattea's voice. Thankfully, she sings alto vs Soprano.
Haven't actually played a x10. I think the 618e was the first that wasn't a x12ce or x14ce at my shop. The Road Show had an assortment of custom stuff, but I didn't make note of all the bodies and the environment was a little too poor/noisy for good comparisons. I also rarely see them without cutaways.

I don't sing, so the large 618 sound is fine by me.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
Weird. I did a search for the word "retro" in this thread before I asked and nothing came back.
No worries. I put Retros on my Gibson to darken it up a bit -- worked like a charm (although I'm still a big fan of the Pyramid Western Folks).

The bigger epiphany, however, came when I put a set on my Martin 000-15M. Something about the mahogany top and monels is just magic. That guitar went from being my least-played to second-in-command overnight
Old 10-14-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:

The bigger epiphany, however, came when I put a set on my Martin 000-15M. Something about the mahogany top and monels is just magic.
I've been considering that guitar. I'll have to keep those strings in mind if I get it.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The bigger epiphany, however, came when I put a set on my Martin 000-15M. Something about the mahogany top and monels is just magic. That guitar went from being my least-played to second-in-command overnight
Hate when that happens... I love the sound of my 15 with the stock strings on it... now ya got me wondering if i'm missing something. eeeep! What's worse GAS or string envy???

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Strings to tame Taylor brightness?

Try DR Dragon Skins. They are my go to string for Taylors.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
I've been considering that guitar. I'll have to keep those strings in mind if I get it.
It's an awesome little guitar. Martin's 15-series gets a lot of love here on the forum, and I can certainly see why. You get very little bling with this model, but the tone is spectacular and habit-forming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
I love the sound of my 15 with the stock strings on it... now ya got me wondering if i'm missing something. eeeep!
Well, you can find out for about ten bucks! I liked the stock strings too, and I went through a few sets of EJ16s that sounded fine on it. But now that I've tried the Retros, this guitar will probably never see another string. I divide my playing time pretty evenly between my four guitars, but I find myself craving the mahogany/monel tone more every day.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 PM

I've switched to Elixir HD's on my 514ce, Taylor are recommending them for GA shapes, and I think they are very nice, my cedar/mahoagany is definitely a little louder and everyone I know who use Elixir strings on a range of guitars, Maton, Cole Clark, Taylors and Martins seems to agree they last an age and don't take long to settle in.

Taylor 514ce (1999)
Taylor Baby-m (1999)
Taylor 814ce (2014 - Finally!)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

FWIW I prefer John Pearse 80/20 over the other kind for my 810 because I find them less zingy. Elixirs don't strike me as a good choice to tame a bright guitar at all; quite the opposite. I've disliked every new Taylor I've played since they switched to Elixirs at the factory because they sound bright and thin to me. In fact, I love my 810, but between the bright factory strings and chunky new necks I don't even try out new Taylors anymore.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
They are not inexpensive, but Thomastic Infields are not bright at all. Have a very warm, rich sound. FWIW.
+1 on these. I just put a set on my Taylor and really like the feel and sound. I had Elixirs on before and liked the PB nonowebs very much also. Martin Lifespan/Cleartones and any 80/20s are way too bright for me.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMC Bob View Post
I've become very attached to the sound of my short scale Taylor 814c (CV braced) with Curt Mangan Fusion Matched phosphor bronze coated strings in medium-light gauge (12-54). Adds a bit more low end thump and are much warmer than Elixir PB's. However, they last only about half as long, tonewise, as Elixirs. If you look around on eBay, you can find them for six sets delivered at around $7 per set ($39.99 + $2.99 shipping).
Ohhhh! You almost had it.

I wanted a bit more balance for my Taylor GA shape and Elixir ALSO actually sells a light-medium set in PB.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-...r-strings.html

Boost the low end - did it for me.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Get some Martin SP Phosphor Bronze strings, and put them on a D-28. Done!

But seriously, if I didn't like the modern bright, clear sparkle of the Taylor sound, I would never buy a Taylor and then try to "tame" it. There are plenty of other great guitars out there with playability that is just as good, but without the Taylor brightness.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion